Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Feb 25, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #496 of 569

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #497 of 569
Did some more experimenting and to my ears, the best results came by simply removing the OEM dust cover.
The driver baffle is completely exposed and the driver dome visible.

I've tried foam, wool and cotton gauze but still the naked-baffle came on top in terms of speed, clarity and impact.

I was a bit dubious to leave it naked like that, at first.
But since it sounds best and there is no fear of damaging the driver (it's protected by plastic cover), i'll keep it as such.

Another modification i've tried which seems to improve the dynamics in the mids/bass region, is to apply a thin (single-ply) cotton gauge layer behind the metal grill.
Staging fortunately seems affected, since the gauge is thin and transparent enough.
Its effect is probably mostly due to its ability to absorb resonances.

For this, you'll need to unscrew the baffle, carefully remove the spider behind it and reach the grill from inside.
Gently cover all the grill with the cotton gauge and put everything back together.

Finally, I'm planning on a couple of wiring/cabling modifications:
A. Internal re-wiring with a better copper/silver-plated copper wire
B. External re-cabling with a better silver-plated copper, DIY cable
AKG 701/702 mod vibes here - reminds me of someone who puts new sports tires on their family car in the hope that it will drive faster.
The easiest solution for if you are not satisfied with the sound of your new headphones, buy different ones.
:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #498 of 569
I'd probably agree. If I can't make a headphone sound great with a modicum of EQ I wouldn't bother.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #500 of 569
Does anyone know which headphones use the exact same connector? I want to get a short 1-1.2m or 4ft cable, but it's hard to be sure what will fit. And custom cables seem pricey

DT177X Go

Hart makes affordable cables.

Was checking in to comment on how these are doing w more run in. The short of it is the sound is fantastic. I've settled on the 6 series foams and this has made a good bit of difference. I do not feel I'm missing anything w these cans in this config. I have them paired with the Fiio Q11 now, which I had put away, and decided on whim to see how they get on since the 490 like power and I kept feeling the need to turn up my dongles.. Oh man it is a great pairing. Listening to Beethoven at moderate volume now in a blissful state. I luv these cans

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #501 of 569
DT177X Go

Hart makes affordable cables.

Was checking in to comment on how these are doing w more run in. The short of it is the sound is fantastic. I've settled on the 6 series foams and this has made a good bit of difference. I do not feel I'm missing anything w these cans in this config. I have them paired with the Fiio Q11 now, which I had put away, and decided on whim to see how they get on since the 490 like power and I kept feeling the need to turn up my dongles.. Oh man it is a great pairing. Listening to Beethoven at moderate volume now in a blissful state. I luv these cans
Audiophile ninja also makes the DT 177X Go cables, so another option.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #508 of 569
I guess it makes sense but adding the “Plus” was overkill.
Plus has more accessoires like a case and extra cable, headband etc.

Imo the plus version should be the only version, but I get it.

Btw, how are the mids of the 490 Pro compared to something like the HD 600? I have listened to the 650 and 660S2 as well and I find those to be really boring compared to the HD 600.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #509 of 569
Plus has more accessoires like a case and extra cable, headband etc.

Imo the plus version should be the only version, but I get it.

Btw, how are the mids of the 490 Pro compared to something like the HD 600? I have listened to the 650 and 660S2 as well and I find those to be really boring compared to the HD 600.
I wouldn’t happen to know since I don’t own the hd490 I’m just here expressing my thoughts on the name to be honest. Pretty sure the shills on YouTube will say they beat the hd600 like they always do for every headphone review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back