Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Mar 17, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #541 of 566
Some first impressions: I got mine, tried comparing with my old version 560s(both powered using Topping DX5 Lite) - there was a difference in slightly stronger bass, less aggressive highs, maybe slightly more detail, but this could be just different tonal balance tricking me. Also tried the fabric pads, felt like bass was more impactful, even though the measurements suggest that it should be reverse. I prefer the velour pads both in comfort and sound(except bass impact, I guess. Seems like velour pads bass is louder, but fabric pads bass is more impactful). But overall I didn't notice much of a difference compared to 560s in sound after A/B testing, which left me a bit disappointed.

However an hour later I've tried to just listen to 490 Pro on it's own and found that I enjoyed the music way more than I usually did on my 560s. Not sure if it's because less aggressive highs allowed me to play music a bit louder, or something else. Hard to judge right now, I wanna listen to them for a week and then do another A/B test against 560s.

In terms of comfort - 490 doesn't have the issue of pressing hard in front of my ears(which 560s does), but the dust filter irritates my ears, baffles how Sennheiser overlooked that. They definitely should fix that in a silent revision. The irritation from dust filter is not that bad, and for me 490 is much more comfortable than 560s. But I am definitely looking to replace the filter with something else, especially since I didn't notice sound change when I removed the filters. Probably will try to use the dust filter from 600 series ear pads.
Do you have a 560 with a short 1.8 meter cable?

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #542 of 566
The dust cover in front of the baffles can be removed.

As long as you treat your HD490 with proper care and your ears stay clean and are not a bugs nest, you could use them with the baffle and the driver exposed.

This will affect their sound, of course.

It doesnt take a scientist to understand that anything in front of an actual driver, will act as a sort of sound filter.

So, if you think they need a little more clarity, impact and speed, try it. If you don't like it, you can reverse that proccess at anytime.
or just turn over the filter (inside out), so the L/R embossing won’t rub your ears, but you can still read it.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #545 of 566
I read that some users have letters touching their ears. Or maybe you can reduce the clamping force? Then, probably, the letters would not touch the ears. Or is it also not possible to do this here, as in the 560S?
Yeah, it's touching my ears, at first it was quite irritating, but the longer I use the headphones the less I notice it. It also depends on the seating. The degree to which I feel it depends on how much to the front or to the back I move the headphones

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #546 of 566
or just turn over the filter (inside out), so the L/R embossing won’t rub your ears, but you can still read it.
I remember from testing it that the filters are not circular or symmetrical; they have a special shape and they will not fit if turned inside out. (Also they have recessed parts at the edges).

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #547 of 566
Pinout_header.png

Is the pinout topology of HD490pro compatible to that of ZMF's, when it's doubled to each cup of L & R?

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #548 of 566
HI guys, you can't immagine how disappointed I am... The hd490 pro is veiled, low fidelity, boomy and less impactful than everything I tried with the p pads and honky, uncoherent, harsh, grainy and thin with the m pads. A complete unlistenable mess at a price that made me sell the fabulous dt880. Scary bad. I hope the shop will made me return that.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #549 of 566
HI guys, you can't immagine how disappointed I am... The hd490 pro is veiled, low fidelity, boomy and less impactful than everything I tried with the p pads and honky, uncoherent, harsh, grainy and thin with the m pads. A complete unlistenable mess at a price that made me sell the fabulous dt880. Scary bad. I hope the shop will made me return that.
Have not heard the 490. But if the 600 ohm 880 is your reference your reaction is not a surprise.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #551 of 566
Hd600 is my reference, but sometimes I enjoy more the dt880 pro 250 ohm. IMG_1848.jpeg
There are no ways these hd490 can be good for me, to create this dark soundstage they messed up the fr, like meze did with the 109
As I said have not heard the 490 and the review of its treble by Solderdude and friends will keep me from blind buying it. I know the both 880's, the lack of bass under 100 and esp. 60 Hz and the peaks at 5.5k and 8k wear me out. I have never heard them PEQ'd and that might very well change my mind, but, w/o? Can't do it. But that's not your experience, so carry on and enjoy.

Senn's outside the 800's have a below average soundstage, but, I use my 600's for accuracy of timbre, not staging, although an OTL amp does improve things.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #552 of 566
As I said have not heard the 490 and the review of its treble by Solderdude and friends will keep me from blind buying it. I know the both 880's, the lack of bass under 100 and esp. 60 Hz and the peaks at 5.5k and 8k wear me out. I have never heard them PEQ'd and that might very well change my mind, but, w/o? Can't do it. But that's not your experience, so carry on and enjoy.

Senn's outside the 800's have a below average soundstage, but, I use my 600's for accuracy of timbre, not staging, although an OTL amp does improve things.
I don't want to impose my opinion as objective, but, let's be honest: my 29 dollars Kiwi Ears Cadenza are miles ahead in every category.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #553 of 566
I don't want to impose my opinion as objective, but, let's be honest: my 29 dollars Kiwi Ears Cadenza are miles ahead in every category.
OK, I do headphones only. Enjoy.

Added: But you did say the HD-600 is your reference, so the Cadenza is miles ahead of a headphone built for monitoring, or the HD-600?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #554 of 566
OK, I do headphones only. Enjoy.

Added: But you did say the HD-600 is your reference, so the Cadenza is miles ahead of a headphone built for monitoring, or the HD-600?
The cadenza is iles ahead in technical performance and frequency response to the hd490, the hd600 is a magical masterpiece, with the best vocal reproduction I've experienced

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #555 of 566
I just ordered a pair of these, as a necessary counterpart to my 600 gram Rosson Rad-0. That's 340 grams lighter! I know people in this thread were curious how the HD490 Pro compares to the NDH30, and while I don't have one of those, I do have an NDH20 Black Edition which I'm very familiar with, and there shall be a duel to the death (sound wise) between these two cans, which I will describe for you guys here.

I have an outrageous 1300 dollar single sided silver cable (the Opus from Arctic Cables), which I'm currently using with the NDH20, but if the HD490 Pro wins, I'll have the outrageous cable reterminated for it, and the NDH20 goes up for sale! High stakes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back