Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Feb 1, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #316 of 569
Received the HD 600 today, and now I understand what you meant by, 'if I had to describe it, I’d say it’s akin to looking through frosted glass in a certain way.'

Anyone who owns both should definitely give 'A Kiss to Build a Dream On' by Amber Rubarth (Sessions from the 17th Ward) a listen. After playing this track repeatedly, around 20 times, with both sets of headphones, I can precisely grasp what you were pointing out. Furthermore, your depiction of the treble is spot-on, and it turns out I'm someone for whom it's a bit too pronounced. This becomes more evident at higher volumes; the louder I listen, the more the treble seems to intrude. Conversely, the HD 600 maintains a more balanced increase across the spectrum with volume, ensuring a smoother experience.

Without prior knowledge of the HD 600, I found the HD 490 Pro to be impressive, particularly in how it doesn't skimp on details. Yet, the HD 600 appears to deliver a more holistic 'music experience' across the entire track. Impressive, indeed.

Now, I'm torn:The HD 490 Pro wins hands down in terms of comfort. I've already developed a dislike for the HD 600's cable, whereas the HD 490 Pro's cable is something I greatly value and appreciate for its comfort - it's like I can't even feel it. Additionally, the build quality of the HD 490 Pro, particularly the plastic, feels superior. Its performance in gaming is also noteworthy.

Yet, considering everything I've described, plus the fact that for the price of the HD 490 Pro, I could get an HD 600 and an HD 560S (Refurbished - for gaming), makes the decision tougher than ever.

But one thing is undeniable, @CammyFi: your ability to describe headphone sounds is unparalleled.
I shall definitely give that track a listen, thank you for your thoughts also! I appreciate it

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #317 of 569
Received the HD 600 today, and now I understand what you meant by, 'if I had to describe it, I’d say it’s akin to looking through frosted glass in a certain way.'

Anyone who owns both should definitely give 'A Kiss to Build a Dream On' by Amber Rubarth (Sessions from the 17th Ward) a listen. After playing this track repeatedly, around 20 times, with both sets of headphones, I can precisely grasp what you were pointing out. Furthermore, your depiction of the treble is spot-on, and it turns out I'm someone for whom it's a bit too pronounced. This becomes more evident at higher volumes; the louder I listen, the more the treble seems to intrude. Conversely, the HD 600 maintains a more balanced increase across the spectrum with volume, ensuring a smoother experience.

Are you on production pads only or did you also compare with mixing? HD600 is still maybe the best headphone for that timbre you describe/hear there.

And sorry for you to hear that track 20 times in a row... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Listened to some Billie Eilish tracks today and really liking them with mixing pads (Ocean eyes, no time to die to name some examples).

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/xlr-...onnector-for-audeze-akg-o7mm-unit-p-8871.html
This connector is fitting well by the way. Now I will sure have some fun soldering that thing to an interchangable connector...

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #318 of 569
I had my first experience with the HD-490 Pro today!

20240201_131444.jpg

I just walked into my local Sennheiser dealer to ask if they were going to have a pair at some point but it was already there! I wasn't prepared to dedicate much time for listening today but I gave it 15 min through my smartphone and Tidal.
So these are my brief impressions, to be validated (or not) soon, with a properly organized listening and on-site comparisons.

1. It is a very light and comfortable headphone, to the point that I thought I could buy it only for that!

2. Materials definitely don't feel cheap but not luxurious either. The construction is excellent.

3. Microphonic noise is very effectively controlled with that little coil. Really a non issue with this headphone.

4. I was really impressed with the soundstage. Too often I felt the sound coming out of my head, and diffused in the room. Maybe the fact that the drivers are offset AND angled, combined with the very open design, are responsible for this effect. See below how the cups are asymmetrical (deeper at the rear side):

20240201_131534.jpg

5. I listened only with the pre-attached velour "producing" ear pads. The sound was full, well balanced, very detailed, with a very extended bass, truly enjoyable as a whole and very able to entertain. I could never agree with some negative descriptions above. I listened to Dire Straits, Loreena McKennitt, and some very well recorded classical (Boston Symphonic Orchestra) and greek artists. At some point I thought that I heard a very slight sibilance in a female voice but I was listening through my smartphone.

Thus I can't say more about its sound; I'll bring my Lehmann Audio dac/amp in the shop another day and of course my trusted reference, the Neumann NDH 30. This will be an ultimate test, especially if I'll be able to listen for one or two hours. I am really curious if they will scale up to very high standards of naturalness and resolution. Either way they are winners for comfort!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #319 of 569
4. I was really impressed with the soundstage. Too often I felt the sound coming out of my head, and diffused in the room. Maybe the fact that the drivers are offset AND angled, combined with the very open design, are responsible for this effect. See below how the cups are asymmetrical (deeper at the rear side):

5. I listened only with the pre-attached velour "producing" ear pads. The sound was full, well balanced, very detailed, with a very extended bass, truly enjoyable as a whole and very able to entertain. I could never agree with some negative descriptions above. I listened to Dire Straits, Loreena McKennitt, and some very well recorded classical (Boston Symphonic Orchestra) and greek artists. At some point I thought that I heard a very slight sibilance in a female voice but I was listening through my smartphone.
First listen from a few passages of a song or two that I’m familiar with and I’ll know if a phone’s voicing will settle good with me. And from your initial reaction I would have taken it home with me already 😂

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #320 of 569
Sennheiser: if you can make a 600 a bit more clear with the 560 sound stage that's all anyone really wants. HD601. It would sell like crazy.
I refuse to believe after all this time there's not enough trickle down technology to accomplish this.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #321 of 569
Localization in headphones doesn't properly exist anyway; they are by default devices of diffuse localization.
Audiophiles' focus on this quality—which is really just an inconsistent perceptual illusion—is often to the detriment of more important things (tuning).

Considering virtually every implementation of the SYS platform drivers has resulted in a meaningfully scooped upper midrange compared to HD 600/650, they need to fix that aspect first instead of focusing on the myriad things that Head-Fiers ask for (despite the fact that they have always introduced compromises).

Whether it's more soundstage, more bass, more "detail", they've already done what Head-Fi by and large have asked for, and it has led to products that have been meaningfully compromised, such that they haven't come close to the legacy of well-roundedness and value that the 6 series represents.

In my view, Sennheiser needs to focus on getting a decent midrange and treble tuning via the SYS platform before they do anything else.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 1, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #322 of 569
Localization in headphones doesn't properly exist anyway; they are by default devices of diffuse localization.
Audiophiles' focus on this quality—which is really just an inconsistent perceptual illusion—is often to the detriment of more important things (tuning).

Considering virtually every implementation of the SYS platform drivers has resulted in a meaningfully scooped upper midrange compared to HD 600/650, they need to fix that aspect first instead of focusing on the myriad things that Head-Fiers ask for (despite the fact that they have always introduced compromises).

Whether it's more soundstage, more bass, more "detail", they've already done what Head-Fi by and large have asked for, and it has led to products that have been meaningfully compromised, such that they haven't come close to the legacy of well-roundedness and value that the 6 series represents.

In my view, Sennheiser needs to focus on getting a decent midrange and treble tuning via the SYS platform before they do anything else.
I think you need to hear a system that can properly produce imaging, placements and soundstage depth, width and height. The mid on 800S is already SOTA and about as good if not better than most speakers I have heard.

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #323 of 569
I think you need to hear a system that can properly produce imaging, placements and soundstage depth, width and height. The mid on 800S is already SOTA and about as good if not better than most speakers I have heard.
I think you're confused about the difference between subjective "spaciousness" and literally hearing instruments in a stereo mix as localizable objects in the room you are in.

I daily drive an HD 800 but I've never consistently heard it reproduce instruments in a stereo mix as objects in the room, because headphones—and their lack of interaction with your full HRTF—don't do that.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #324 of 569
Listener is the last person on here that you need to doubt their credibility.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #325 of 569
Listener is the last person on here that you need to doubt their credibility.
Why? Just another rando on the net. Can’t even see his gear list.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #326 of 569
I think you're confused about the difference between subjective "spaciousness" and literally hearing instruments in a stereo mix as localizable objects in the room you are in.

I daily drive an HD 800 but I've never consistently heard it reproduce instruments in a stereo mix as objects in the room, because headphones—and their lack of interaction with your full HRTF—don't do that.
Of course you won’t get actual in room imaging with music mastered for 2channel spkr playback.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #328 of 569
Of course you won’t get actual in room imaging with music mastered for 2channel spkr playback.
Agreed.

The point of what I was saying is: Since we don’t get “actual soundstage” on headphones, asking Sennheiser to compromise midrange tuning for the inconsistent and frankly unimpressive phenomenon of “headphone soundstage” doesn’t strike me as a compromise worth making when people rarely agree on things like “headphone soundstage” anyway.

Would much rather they work on finding a way to make the HD 650 midrange available in a package that’s more comfortable and less effected by pad wear. More bass extension would be nice, but considering how Senn has compromised tone to get more bass in the past, I’m fairly certain the trade-off isn’t worth it to me.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #329 of 569
Okay. Now I understand your point and agree as well.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #330 of 569
Agreed.

The point of what I was saying is: Since we don’t get “actual soundstage” on headphones, asking Sennheiser to compromise midrange tuning for the inconsistent and frankly unimpressive phenomenon of “headphone soundstage” doesn’t strike me as a compromise worth making when people rarely agree on things like “headphone soundstage” anyway.

Would much rather they work on finding a way to make the HD 650 midrange available in a package that’s more comfortable and less effected by pad wear. More bass extension would be nice, but considering how Senn has compromised tone to get more bass in the past, I’m fairly certain the trade-off isn’t worth it to me.

Tell that to the guy who listens to classical. Re the 650, despite it's impressive midrange, it misses so many instruments on the stage that's unlistenable with that genre. Go to the 800/800S and you get the full stage but the mids are thin and the treble is sharp. This 490 Pro gives you the stage and an impressive midrange with no sharpness. This adds up to few compromises with this HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back