Sennheiser HD 429s vs HD 439 vs HD 449
Aug 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EvanMS

New Head-Fier
I am debating between getting these three Sennheiser headphones: hd 429s, hd 439, or hd 449. Is there a significant difference in sound quality between the three? 

What I will be using these headphones for is (in order of importance): PC gaming, video (i.e. youtube, movies, etc.), and music. Am I looking at the completely wrong thing if I want good headphones for gaming? Or will these perform well in video games? I don't think that bass is a big concern for the music I listen to, because I like to listen mainly to 90s rock/pop-punk/alternative, but does more bass make games sound better or worse?

You can leave any other headphone/headset recommendations as well, but they must be closed and around/over the ear/circumaural.
HD 555 seemed perfect to me when I first saw them, but I just can't stand open headphones- when I'm wearing headphones I don't wan't other people to hear what I'm listening to and I'm sure they don't either.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 6
I own Pioneer SE A1000 and HD 439. Not even a competition. For other than bass pioneer is way better, closer to hd 558/598.

For bass hd 439 it is.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 6
I have all three and the 439 is the better sounding of the three; it is more balanced overall and puts out a reasonably good sound compared to other headphones but as a recommendation the Shure 240 sounds even better than the 439 and it is cheaper.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 6
[COLOR=333333]I am debating between getting these three Sennheiser headphones: hd 429s, hd 439, or hd 449. [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Is there a significant difference in sound quality between the three? [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]What I will be using these headphones for is (in order of importance): PC gaming, video (i.e. youtube, movies, etc.), and music. Am I looking at the completely wrong thing if I want good headphones for gaming? Or will these perform well in video games? I don't think that bass is a big concern for the music I listen to, because I like to listen mainly to 90s rock/pop-punk/alternative, but does more bass make games sound better or worse?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]You can leave any other headphone/headset recommendations as well, but they must be closed and around/over the ear/circumaural.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]HD 555 seemed perfect to me when I first saw them, but I just can't stand open headphones- when I'm wearing headphones I don't wan't other people to hear what I'm listening to and I'm sure they don't either.[/COLOR]

Hello!

go for the HD439! To me, those are the best headphone for your need at your price range other than the SR60i but it's on ear and open.

As for bass or no bass for gaming, depends. If you play actions games more, more bass (especially upper bass) will make the shooting sound more fun but if you play games like FruitNinja which involve mainly "cutting sound" I prefer upper mids emphasis xD all depends but most of the time, bass will make most noticeable difference in my opinion

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
What does "Burn-in" mean??

it means "warming up your headphone drivers". It's just like before you do any rough sports, you warm up before doing the real thing to avoid any injuries. Same goes to most headphone drivers. It usually takes about 100-150 hours although some believe a longer period would help. It all depends on the drivers. Balanced Armature based headphones does not need any burn in process, straight out of the box you get the real sound quality of it.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back