Sennheiser HD 380 Pro or HD 439?
Sep 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johnvonmacz

Head-Fier
Hi, I usually listen to RNB and Hip Hop in FLAC not MP3. My current PC Motherboard is ASUS Z87-PRO with Realtek ALC1150 Codec. Which of those two headphones would fulfill my purpose? Also do I need an amp or sound card or the Codec in my motherboard's enough? Thanks :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 4
I have tried the HD 380 Pro and will recieve the HD 439's soon. The 380 has a nice balance through the mid to high range with little to no sibilance in my experience and they have a nice tight, punchy bass - ideal for your genres. The bass doesn't overshadow the mids and highs and there is decent sound seperation through the phones soundstage. While the sound quality is easy to recommend for music the comfort is harder to recommend - some people find them comfortable although I found the clamping pressure a bit too much and the ear pads seem to be made out of foam, which further enhances the discomfort. They'd be ideal if you don't mind the tight clamping force and the slightly stiff ear pads but I couldn't wear them for extended periods.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 4
I sent back the 439 after a days use - the headphone suffered from poor clamping pressure. The isolation of ambient noise at lower listening volumes was underwhelming due to the lack of pressure but the ear pads were softer than the HD 380. The ear pads were smaller and my ears felt cramped - similar to the pads on the Audio-Technica M50. I prefered the sound signature of the HD 380 as the 439 had a strange kind of veil/ mask over its sound signature, which was present more in bassy songs. Apart from the greater quantity of bass these headphones reminded me of phones costing considerably less! I hear the SRH440 is better at this price range.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 4
I sent back the 439 after a days use - the headphone suffered from poor clamping pressure. The isolation of ambient noise at lower listening volumes was underwhelming due to the lack of pressure but the ear pads were softer than the HD 380. The ear pads were smaller and my ears felt cramped - similar to the pads on the Audio-Technica M50. I prefered the sound signature of the HD 380 as the 439 had a strange kind of veil/ mask over its sound signature, which was present more in bassy songs. Apart from the greater quantity of bass these headphones reminded me of phones costing considerably less! I hear the SRH440 is better at this price range.

Thanks for your thoughts! I bought HD 380 Pro's yesterday and just waiting for it to be shipped. About the HD 439, I agree that it has the veil thing going on to it. A local store has a demo of it and was kinda disappointed to it, the sound is a bit muffled and too quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back