Sennheiser HD 300 Pro Review and Impressions Thread (HD 250 Linear Revival )
Aug 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #136 of 167
UPDATE - Guitar Center has these on display. Tested. Earpads still don't extend far enough down for my long head, and they clamp is still brutal and not easily fixable. I wonder, anyone possibly tried softening its plastic extension bands very carefully with a high heat source (hair dryer, heat gun) to soften its clamp? Anyway, I was surprised by its sound.

These were much better. As stated before, perhaps it's burn-in vs. fresh out of the box. I wonder if they re-tuned them perhaps, the newer models, based upon the complaints. These were much clearer, yet smooth, in the mids and highs, slightly better space than the HD 280 pro. Bass fully extended but much more flat and proper. I am reconsidering.

UPDATE: Bought these. Used a heat gun VERY CAREFULLY to loosen the clamp and make the arms more straight, which also helped make them reach farther down to comfortably fit my ears. Think generally flat, with a gentle slight V shape for great details. No mid bass bloat, slight high mid dip but great clarity. Sub bass goes really low, but is accurate / honest.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #138 of 167
Which of the Senn. closedback line are most recommended for studio monitor usage / mixing? I have the big HD-380 Pro's, but being a more fun dark presenation those are only for casual electronic music listening. Need something more detailed and linear yet still with proper bass. I've tried many, but it's been quite some years...

Dec 12, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #142 of 167
Which of the Senn. closed back line are most recommended for studio monitor usage / mixing? I have the big HD-380 Pro's, but being a more fun dark presentation those are only for casual electronic music listening. Need something more detailed and linear yet still with proper bass. I've tried many, but it's been quite some years...
I rarely mix on headphones, they are more to check mixes. Being concerned about ever needing to potentially mix amd master on cans, I found some go-too's. Senn HD59X for long laid back listening, comfort, when I want an open back. AKG K371, for brutal honesty. The AT ATH-SR50, with Meze Pads (standards, not small) for light comfort, durability with sub bass that competes with the AKG K371, but with a gentle high mid dip for longer listening and 3D sound with these pads unlike any under $500 closed cans. There is this unusual up front center channel vibe despite that, especially on vocals.

The Senn HD300 pro is a bit more flat but still has gentler mids than the AKG K371. Its sub bass reaches as far down, without AKG's boost. A boost the HD-380 had, although the HD-380 had more to the point of distortion on sub heavy tracks and they also lacked warmth, as the AKG does at times. The HD-300 Pro aren't warm per-se, but manage to be honest without coldness. The soundstage is also wider than any Senn closed under $1000 but in a more natural ambient way unlike the larger than life 3D sound of the ATH-SR50 and Meze Standard Pad combo. So each would have a place for me.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #143 of 167
Can you please tell me if these headphones play better than the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro? At the moment, I am the owner of HD 280 Pro, but I want to purchase HD 300 Pro. What's up with their bass? Is it less or more than the HD 300 Pro? What else is the difference in sound from the HD 280 Pro?

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #144 of 167
I own both of them and differences are rather subtle. You might even say the Tygr are the open version of the HD300, but the latter actually have some added brilliance in the high range, and very very slightly better bass. The Tygr however, although having roughly the same perceived sound curve of the HDs, sound definiteely more spacy and airy and mids seem more present. Both headphones, in my opinion, are killer sets. Once you got them, you don't seem to be wanting anything else.

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #146 of 167
I heard that the HD 300 Pro has less bass than the HD 280 Pro. This is true?
Yes, mainly mid bass. That said, having compared both, these things stand out. The HD300 is more flat, very honest sounding. The treble is also a bit more extended - yet also smoother and more "expensive" sounding. It's much more spacious sounding, almost 3D but very, very realistic space, not artificial. There is an ever so slight gentleness in the high mids, so you don't miss detail, but I find it pokes me in the ears less sonically. While the low mids to mid bass are exceedingly flat, dare I say the lowest sub bass is better represented. I'll elaborate. It does NOT sound sub boosted, or like "you're wearing a subwoofer" at all. Flat tracks without a lot of sub bass will sound like that. However, if you play a track that has some real action below 60 hz and even 40 hz, these will surprise you and hit you harder than the HD280. Still not over-done, just so revealing down there.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #147 of 167
Yes, mainly mid bass. That said, having compared both, these things stand out. The HD300 is more flat, very honest sounding. The treble is also a bit more extended - yet also smoother and more "expensive" sounding. It's much more spacious sounding, almost 3D but very, very realistic space, not artificial. There is an ever so slight gentleness in the high mids, so you don't miss detail, but I find it pokes me in the ears less sonically. While the low mids to mid bass are exceedingly flat, dare I say the lowest sub bass is better represented. I'll elaborate. It does NOT sound sub boosted, or like "you're wearing a subwoofer" at all. Flat tracks without a lot of sub bass will sound like that. However, if you play a track that has some real action below 60 hz and even 40 hz, these will surprise you and hit you harder than the HD280. Still not over-done, just so revealing down there.
Thanks for your detailed answer. I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 headphones. Do these headphones have more mid-bass than the Sennheiser HD 300 Pro?

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #150 of 167

Users who are viewing this thread

Back