Sennheiser HD 280 Pro coming my way
Mar 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 51
@Rex81: I wasn't complaining, it's just that whenever I see someone recommending them it's always you
smily_headphones1.gif
You're trying to save people money I can see that. I just haven't seen many other people here that would recommend them so vigorously and without reservations. On the other hand they really are only $34 - I just can't find a place to buy them that would ship to my location and/or have reasonable shipping charges...

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Machine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I think there is an open version for a few more bucks, which I would prefer.

You're referring to the RX900, and no you wouldn't. It's still more closed than it is open and it suffers from some weird construction issue that makes it sound resonant and cluttered. The RX700 is the better phone, even though its cheaper. I've owned both and studied them vigorously.

Of course, its just my opinion, there are a very small minority here that prefer the 900 to the 700...

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Rex81: I wasn't complaining, it's just that whenever I see someone recommending them it's always you
smily_headphones1.gif
You're trying to save people money I can see that. I just haven't seen many other people here that would recommend them so vigorously and without reservations. On the other hand they really are only $34 - I just can't find a place to buy them that would ship to my location and/or have reasonable shipping charges...

Actually, I think there are a ton of new converts, and many more every day who are getting on the RX700 train. I've only heard of one guy who didn't like them, and I don't think he burned them in for the recommended period, as they need that. But I'm probably the most evangelical of the bunch.
wink.gif
I want to spread the word. And there are a number of us who have compared the RX700 favorably to the much more expensive reference class D2000. So I think that really says something about their value.

I do know there's a serious distribution issue with them where only us yanks can enjoy them without any hassle. Even the Canadians are trying desperately to find a distributor. Its a shame. We shouldn't be the only lucky ones.
k701smile.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #34 of 51
I 've been hitting on a number of ordering places for the RX 700. They're all out of stock. Gotta keep looking.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

@Rex81: I wasn't complaining,...

Slightly off topic, how are you doing over there, Koshman? Uhh, it must have been about 4 1/2 decades ago that I was there. Actually, it was before the Prague Spring 1968. Do you have any Live memory of that?

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #36 of 51
I am digging my 280 Pro's!

I had heard the 1K - 2K burn in figure too, on the "reappraising" thread. But after only a month of daily 1-hr listening plus some sporadic overnight burn-in with FM static or Miami bass music from Rhapsody: MUCH improved bass through any good source or any crappy portable source + amp (el cheapo E5 is perfect, recommended by koshman I believe). The highs are still very detailed, but the bass and mids are catching up to them and it's coming more into balance every day. Or I've gone deef.

Fantastic isolation! The other day I was on the bus in DC and I only realized that there was a full-throat ranter two seats behind me when people started turning around and looking.

(I swiveled an earcup in time to hear: if the RED MAN says DON'T CALL YOUR TEAM THE REDSKINS, that should be SUFFICIENT! You got REDSKINS HATS and REDSKINS SHIRTS and REDSKINS FLAGS and REDSKINS LICENSE PLATES...)

I plopped the earcup back on... no trace of rant, just the Mekons' "Journey to the End of Night." Though I do agree with the sentiment of the rant...

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Machine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's very stimulating as well. I like "punchy and neutral" definitions. That's what I need. Alltogether just alittle more agressive than my HD 500's. I need something that really roars at me
atsmile.gif

Yeah, I am also considering the HD555 for the advanced future, maybe for movies, all around music, for my girlfriend or when I need a break from the 280's.

Oh and I should have added: you may disappointed with the bass initially. But time and use definitely break in the 'phones to the point where the cans start to produce the bass more...comfortably. And I really have to stress that bass of the 280s isn't a strongpoint. It can be punchy (not very punchy, mind you) as long as the source strokes the low end of the 280s well, like my old Sony Walkman mp3 player did. But when I upgraded my mp3 player to a Samsung P2, I couldn't achieve the punchy bass level as I did with the Walkman.

So again, it's all about the source. This makes evident how flexible and neutral the 280s are. Well, cheers, have fun with them! Hope my feedback is useful.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #38 of 51
Gee, can't believe I didn't mention this in my prev post. I upgraded to the HD555s from the 280s. I wasn't sure if it was going to be enough of an upgrade. To my pleasant surprise it was! The 555s are a huge difference. Everything is clearer and cleaner with a much better soundstage. I feel that the bass feels more accurate in response. It's hard to compare since the 280s are closed 'phones. The 555s are also brighter. I definitely, definitely support your consideration for a future upgrade to the 555s. If you have the extra $$ you could consider the HD595s but you mentioned being a "bargain geek" so I know you would be very satisfied with the 555s anyway.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Machine:
Slightly off topic, how are you doing over there, Koshman? Uhh, it must have been about 4 1/2 decades ago that I was there. Actually, it was before the Prague Spring 1968. Do you have any Live memory of that?

Actually, no, I'm 26 and was only 7 when Velvet Revolution ended the communist era here in 1989. But the Prague Spring 1968 and the subsequent invasion of "friendly armies" in August of that year are still fresh in many people's memories. Unfortunately, in the light of the economic crisis a lot of the oldtimers tend to forget the bad and only remember the "good" - everything was cheap, everyone had a job etc etc. Hopefully, in a few years there will be virtually no supporters of the commies (who still exist as a legitimate political party here...) left in our country. I'm graduating sometime in winter next year so I hope the crisis might be over by then
smily_headphones1.gif
Other than that I'm quite happy with the situation here.
By the way on what occasion did you come to the CR? You must have been a kid then.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #40 of 51
Without directly A/Bing them against much better phones, I would be quite satisfied with my HD280s. The sound is not "exciting", but it is detailed with no obvious flaws. The only issue I have with them is that the combination of very low impedance and very high sensitivity reveals the noise floor of my amp. They are hard to beat for the price, and the isolation and comfort are excellent.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #41 of 51
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize I really enjoyed my time with the 280s. If I could solve the noise issue, I would probably like them a lot.
I was not satisfied with my hybrid amp. Is there an affordable (under $150) solid-state amp with strong bass and an extremely low noise floor that works well with low-impedance phones?

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voohoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gee, can't believe I didn't mention this in my prev post. I upgraded to the HD555s from the 280s. I wasn't sure if it was going to be enough of an upgrade. To my pleasant surprise it was! The 555s are a huge difference. Everything is clearer and cleaner with a much better soundstage. I feel that the bass feels more accurate in response. It's hard to compare since the 280s are closed 'phones. The 555s are also brighter. I definitely, definitely support your consideration for a future upgrade to the 555s. If you have the extra $$ you could consider the HD595s but you mentioned being a "bargain geek" so I know you would be very satisfied with the 555s anyway.

While accurate, the bass is lacks definition and punch on the 555s, even with a decent amp such as the D2 Boa. Although I think they are alright, trying better headphones showed me what I was missing. SQ-wise the 555s do not disappoint though. If you don't mind having a lack of excitement in music, then the 555s are a good choice. They give a bright, dry sound.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voohoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... and this is exactly what I did yesterday. Almost. I upgraded to the HD 555 before I even got the 280's. LOL.
tongue.gif

( as indicated in this separate post http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd-...9/#post5567941 )

I think it was already premeditated that I will get the HD 555 as well, but more as a variant then an upgraded. I am a person who likes to alternate, as it is with many other things in life.

I wanted to give a distinct opinion on each model, after I start listening, that's why I opened another thread on the HD 555.

I am pretty sure they both will be superb within their own dominions.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Actually, no, I'm 26 and was only 7 when Velvet Revolution ended the communist era here in 1989. But the Prague Spring 1968 and the subsequent invasion of "friendly armies" in August of that year are still fresh in many people's memories. Unfortunately, in the light of the economic crisis a lot of the oldtimers tend to forget the bad and only remember the "good" - everything was cheap, everyone had a job etc etc. Hopefully, in a few years there will be virtually no supporters of the commies (who still exist as a legitimate political party here...) left in our country. I'm graduating sometime in winter next year so I hope the crisis might be over by then
smily_headphones1.gif
Other than that I'm quite happy with the situation here.
By the way on what occasion did you come to the CR? You must have been a kid then.

It's good to hear that you feel quite happy.

I was in Brno and also in Prague on a few occasions between age 5 and 8, that was between '65 and '68, not anymore after then. I used to have relatives there, most got out during the Soviet years, but I think I have at least a cousin who is still there. I should investigate.

Those were crazy times. I can't believe they still have a Communist Party.

I lived in West-Berlin during '89 and '90 and subsequently took a few peeks into East-Berlin just after the Wall deteriorated. What can I say.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see people recommending HD280, D1001, DT770, and I think: "No way, they can get a better phone for a third of the price!" and I have to tell them about the RX700.

Just trying to testify the gospel and spread the word.
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, okay! I'll buy the stupid RX700! I give. Just kidding. I actually think I will. How can I go wrong for $34? Thanks for your efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back