Sennheiser HD 280 Pro coming my way
Mar 29, 2009 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Mr Machine

New Head-Fier
Hi All!

New to the forum, yet a life long 'Head-Fier'.

I am sure the thread title will tickle most of you to a mere "yawn", but I feel happy like a school boy, back when I got my first Senns, nearly 40 years ago.

I have been dwelling on a pair of HD 500's the last 10 years and they have been very satisfying and provided sustained quality for all my listing excursions.
They still work fantastic; I just ordered a set of replacement ear cushions to make them look nice again. So, those will remain around in the future.

I felt like I wanted a different sound picture for a change.

It would be hard to make me sway from the Sennheiser brand, so I did some reading on a variety of headphones out there.

I thought isolation would be great. Nice tight fit and a brilliant uncolored sound picture with a snug response throughout the spectrum.

I know they don’t look like the very latest in design, but neither do I.

I plan to use them on my SWR Bass Combo to monitor myself playing. The HD 500 doesn’t quite respond snug enough not to say sluggish.

Also, I want to use those HD280’s with my Sony 505 ES Amp and a variety of other audio sources.

I read about the long burn in time. I think there is a lot to it. I anticipate maturity of those kind of headphones to be after several thousands of hours.

Budget always plays a role, as with all other things in life, so the price of $86 was a strong consideration.

I came across a few “Nay” Sayers on the HD280, that’s fine, all ears are different.

But, I would really like to hear from those who are happy with their 280’s and want to share a bit of their experience with them.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 51
I keep reading that. I plan to treat it with some Armor All once I get them, maybe this will help. I think it is the same type of thin vinyl they use on the ear cushions.
However, I am sure there are ways to deal with it, in the long run, which is way I chose those HD 280's ... the long run.

I want to hear a set of phones that can handle my bass directly out of the amp's tuner, without altering. That's very important.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 51
It's the hard plastic that's brittle, not the padding. I don't think armor all will do anything. Just don't drop them
tongue.gif
They still work fine without the plastic. It's just a cover over the metal headband. The hinges are more exposed without it so if you have long hair it could get caught.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Machine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All!

I read about the long burn in time. I think there is a lot to it. I anticipate maturity of those kind of headphones to be after several thousands of hours.

Thanks

In case you haven't already seen this [required reading]... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/re-...hd-280s-54399/

The HD280 was my first serious pair of headcans. I have been quite pleased overall. The isolation is perhaps above that of all other full-size cans. Oh, if only I had these during my stay in the dorms--the agony of unbridled noise made bearable!

I found the blue-tak mod to be tremendous. While the bass extension is quite excellent, they're still a wee bit coy in the bass department. But with a bit of tak, all is made right.

As for the design, I rather like the look of it. It helps to have a sense of humor.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 51
I almost forgot: I do believe these guys gave me a bit of ache in my noggin' back when they were still fresh. But a bit of wear remedied that, and in time it all felt as if they were embracing my head in an intimate, unrelenting hug. My AD700 soon became a loose, slippery person in comparison.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the hard plastic that's brittle, not the padding. I don't think armor all will do anything. Just don't drop them
tongue.gif
They still work fine without the plastic. It's just a cover over the metal headband. The hinges are more exposed without it so if you have long hair it could get caught.

Ok, I see. I was unclear as to whether it is the hard part or the cover of the padding, as I was reading those remarks.

Now, aren't those available as replacement parts?

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you haven't already seen this [required reading]... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/re-...hd-280s-54399/

The HD280 was my first serious pair of headcans. I have been quite pleased overall. The isolation is perhaps above that of all other full-size cans. Oh, if only I had these during my stay in the dorms--the agony of unbridled noise made bearable!

I found the blue-tak mod to be tremendous. While the bass extension is quite excellent, they're still a wee bit coy in the bass department. But with a bit of tak, all is made right.

As for the design, I rather like the look of it. It helps to have a sense of humor.

I read thru the thread above. It's good, yet I don't think one can force the burn in by having it run 24/7 for a couple of 1000 hours. It'll come over time, maybe even years.

The many comments about lack of bass scare me the most. I will hear how the 280 performs, plugging it into my SWR bass combo. It will be a very true reflection for it's capability in the bass department.

I am kind of over-fed by the all the different artificial bass variants. I am looking to find a tight corny bass with good resonance and a precise drawing of melody lines and ofcourse a decent and accurate punch.

Do you have any info or a link on that blue-tak mod?

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine were the first pair I bought after joining head-fi. I bought them used and they were already loosed up so no pain. I bought them for work, but they isolated too well. I couldn't hear the phone ring even when listening at a low volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Machine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I see. I was unclear as to whether it is the hard part or the cover of the padding, as I was reading those remarks.

Now, aren't those available as replacement parts?

I've never looked into replacing the part because it doesn't effect the performance just appearance. I rarely use them because they don't provide the appropriate isolation for me. They isolate too much for sitting and listening at home or work, and not enough for riding the subway or airplanes.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 51
The 280s are fine if isolation and flat response are your key concerns. I would encourage you to explore other phones though. In my opinion, there are far better options out there, some a bit cheaper. Almost all the phones I've tried are more fun for sure. To me, I prefer fun listening to analytical. But that's just me.

Enjoy them. If they help you enjoy music, that's all that counts.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 51
Mar 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 280s are fine if isolation and flat response are your key concerns. I would encourage you to explore other phones though. In my opinion, there are far better options out there, some a bit cheaper. Almost all the phones I've tried are more fun for sure. To me, I prefer fun listening to analytical. But that's just me.

Enjoy them. If they help you enjoy music, that's all that counts.

I agree on fun over analytical listening. No doubt.

As to other options, maybe you could name one or 2, that stands out for +/-$100

I prefer open headphones, I have noticed the Beyerdynamics DT440. It seems this one is still new out there. Hardly any reviews. I will inquire about it in a separate note.
Also, I saw the late Sennheiser HD-380 Pro, but I am simply too reluctant to dish out $200. Can't help it.
redface.gif

I am hoping to get an accurate and unaltered acustic picture with the 280. Purist so to speak

I am also using a Panasonic DVD-X410 player for original CD recordings. It's a fairly high end DIVX player back from the days, which has a direct headphone output. It always amazes me what's still there to hear with some of the top recordings.

My HD 500 is so much on the "warm" side, still with a little snap, but alltogether a really gentle fellow, which likes moderate volumes best.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 51
^ Haven't heard the HD500, but if its anything like the "true" Sennheiser sound than I know it well. I kinda miss the HD565 I just sold. Very laid back, warm sound. The 280s are great at being more accurate and detail oriented.

If I were you, I'd treat myself to a pair of RX700. Not open, and not open sounding though. Basically the exact opposite of a 280 and the most fun phones I know of. And they're only $34 so you don't have to worry about wallet dent.

I prefer them over the 280s, but I don't like having a lot of horses in the stable. You may find them to be nice compliments to have around if you want to go between analytical and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back