Sennheiser HD 239 vs anything under $100
Jun 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mac00l

New Head-Fier
I've made a comprehensive search of the forums, and I haven't found a satisfactory answer for what I'm looking. A few year ago I went trough a similar issue and after reading a lot it was evident that the best option that I had were the S4. Not a single question needed. Not the case today.

Right now there is a special, offering the HD 239 for under $80 dollars.

I have a pair of Klipsch Image S4, and I just love their quality. Only issue is that they are a bit uncomfortable over long periods of time and that they tend to distort the sound when eating or even moving the head for a little bit. The S4 are awesome when using any kind of public transportation (plane, bus, etc..), but are awful when just chilling on my room wanting to listen to some music.

I began a search with $100 in my pocket. I don't care about form factor, they just need to be very comfortable and versatile. Meaning that I can wear them in my room or in a plane.  I don't want the best possible sound. I just want good sound quality (at least on par with the S4) and top notch comfort. 

Regarding HD 239 I've read that they leak sound. Do they leak sound at the same levels that the user is listening to, or is it just a minor leak at high levels?

Do you believe the HD 239 are a good deal?? Or am I better off looking somewhere else??? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 4
While I have not heard the newer hd239s I own the previous gen 238s. The 239s look exactly the same but in new colors but I cannot say for certain. My 238s are still one of my favorite portables. They just need some power to sound their best. I'm still astonished at how well these little lightweight pads produce a soundstage that sounds much bigger than one might expect. Single sided cord super light big sound. It's a good headphone but I cant help but think $80? That's a bit much since I got my 238s for $30.
Edit: sorry the 229 comes in colors the 239s look just like the 238s

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Aside from semi open type, the sq should be very good for this form. I believed sennheiser do some homework perfected sound quality on HDxx9 lineups. Previous hd238 dubbed as already famous PX100-ii on steroid. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Aside from semi open type, the sq should be very good for this form. I believed sennheiser do some homework perfected sound quality on HDxx9 lineups. Previous hd238 dubbed as already famous PX100-ii on steroid. 

That was exactly I expected of HD239 befire having auditioned it. Boy, glad I was wrong. I would say it was akin of HD598 in party mode. Doesn't take itself seriously but seriously focus on having fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back