Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Aug 16, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,246 of 1,519
The game with normal surround assume you are staring at the middle of the screen. With stationary speakers, this is fine as your head change doesn't change the speakers positions. As a normal headphone move with your head, the "speakers" move with it. So the position of the sound becomes completely inaccurate when you move your head. Are you pretend not to understand this simple logic ?

Again you seem to think that every game is a VR game, your movement outside of the game soundscape does not affect anything period.

Seems like someone swallowed that infomercial :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,248 of 1,519
Again you seem to think that every game is a VR game, your movement outside of the game soundscape does not affect anything period.

Seems like someone swallowed that infomercial :)
What I think is that this is too hard for you to understand. It's ok, stay on console and do whatever you think will make you happy. There's no point of using something that you can't appreciate.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,249 of 1,519
That's fine, it's clear you don't know what you are talking about. Considering I most likely have a decade more experience playing fps on PC than you, you might consider keeping your snide remarks about console gaming to your self.

Keyboard warriors are always amusing, especially the no names ones without any real online presence. Cheerios!

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,250 of 1,519
That's fine, it's clear you don't know what you are talking about. Considering I most likely have a decade more experience playing fps on PC than you, you might consider keeping your snide remarks about console gaming to your self.

Keyboard warriors are always amusing, especially the no names ones without any real online presence. Cheerios!
Sure thing kid. Wasting my time helping ones that can't be help is definitely a mistake on my part. People like you is exactly why people stop using traditional forum like this to help others. Try the same on thing Reddit, see how fast u get limited posting rights. Good luck.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,251 of 1,519
It is, that's why hrtf works. And why head tracking is a bad idea. Your brain actually thinks it's inside the game based on what your eyes and ears feed it. That's why some people get nausea, the inner ear is not as easy to fool.
That's actually wrong, you're brain isn't thinking it's in the game, that's what makes it so much better to have head tracking

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,255 of 1,519
speakers are bad too for gaming.

They are.

Anyways, i've tried waves nx, not convinced, sounds too tinny to my ears and it's a software solution, which is great because you can use it with whatever dac + amp combination you want, not a fan of the added latency though. To my ears the GSX gives the most natural sound while keeping the positionnal audio accurate, too bad it's expensive af. Creative should release something nice soon too.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,256 of 1,519
They are.

Anyways, i've tried waves nx, not convinced, sounds too tinny to my ears and it's a software solution, which is great because you can use it with whatever dac + amp combination you want, not a fan of the added latency though. To my ears the GSX gives the most natural sound while keeping the positionnal audio accurate, too bad it's expensive af. Creative should release something nice soon too.

I had the spherex 5.1 speakers setup for console gaming before. I had absolute a blast of a time playing games like halo, rogue squadron, etc. Too bad my neighbours don't enjoy that as much as I do. But that experiences is exactly why I'm using gsx and getting mobius to simulate that epic feel of room surround speakers setup. Speakers can absolutely be amazing for gaming if u don't have neighbours.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,257 of 1,519
I've always been in the camp of head tracking seeming sort of gimmicky/useless for FPS. I guess I can imagine one way in which it could hypothetically enhance your immersion, maybe, to play the devil's advocate. Correct me if I am wrong on how head tracking works here: let's say you hear a gunshot from a rear left speaker. You turn your head left (so your left ear is facing the gunshot direction) and with head tracking, now hear the gunshot again as if it is coming from the left speaker. (That's what head tracking does right?) The screen is still facing forward but you are now sort of separating auditory info from visual info (which is sub optimal...) I suppose that could, possibly, let you pinpoint a noise you were unsure of, similar to how in real life you can pinpoint a sound by turning your head? Although I would ultimately prefer a competent surround solution that did not require me to do that to pinpoint a sound (and often I don't really have the luxury of not facing the screen dead on in a heated FPS match) I could see how that might be kind of cool as a one off.

But, until I actually try it and become a convert, I'm also in the "why do I actually need head tracking camp..."

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #1,258 of 1,519
Correct me if I am wrong on how head tracking works here

Head tracking will make the monitor the fixed centre point of the audio and keep it there, regardless of how you move your head/body - the same way a 5.1 speaker system would.
Hold a pen out in flat just in front of your nose and move your head, but keeping the pen stationary - the sound will stay in place like the pen does.

Normal headphone VSS makes an area somewhere in front of your nose the fixed centre point. That point moves with your head.
Hold the pen touching your nose this time. When you move your head, move the pen with it. The sound will move in relation to your head, like the pen does.

If a character in a game or movie standing in front of you is talking to you while looking directly at you - that sound will be coming from the centre line of the monitor.

With head tracking that voice will remain stationary while you turn your head (YOUR HEAD, NOT YOUR CHARACTERS HEAD)
ie. If you turn look at a corner of your lounge room the voice will still be coming from the centre of the monitor.

With VSS that voice will remain in line with your nose, no matter where you turn your head (your head again, not your characters)
ie. If you turn to look at a corner of your lounge room the voice will now sound like it's coming from the corner of your room, not the monitor.

Both make use of HRTF - the head tracking takes it a step further and locks the position of it down to be fixed in the room, instead of fixed on your head.

edit: as you're usually looking directly at the screen anyway the focal points will be very similar in both cases for the most part. I'm hoping the tracking and the "micro movements" of my head help the VSS fool my brain even better to make the cues resolve clearer and much more accurate in my head.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,259 of 1,519
The notion that people turn their head left and right are simply ludicrous, no one playing competitive FPS does this, just as they won't be rocking their body left and right when turning in a car video game. Very few people also find the need to turn around look anywhere then at their monitor in the room while they are playing...:)

Now the Mobius marketing team always show the Mobius on a 3-screen setup, which is not used for competitive FPS for obvious reasons. But in this scenario, I can understand that HT along with HRTF makes more sense, not that it will be more accurate in terms of positional cues, but it will immerse you more in the game. HT without HRTF (when you feed the mobius an analog signal) will not do anything for positional cue accuracy.

I think there is a difference that is ignored, immersive effect vs positional cue accuracy. They are not the same thing at all.

Finally, when you recommend something and claim it to be superior to everything else without even having used the product, well you credibility is out the window. :)

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #1,260 of 1,519
Finally, when you recommend something and claim it to be superior to everything else without even having used the product, well you credibility is out the window.

Wasn't aimed at me was it? Never made such a claim and haven't recommended the Mobius to any one yet.

The notion that people turn their head left and right are simply ludicrous.

Was an example to show how the sound moves vs staying in place.

not that it will be more accurate in terms of positional cues

It isn't the "in game cues", but rather the accuracy and resolution of the HRTF itself I'm hoping will be improved.
For me, frontal cues become a muddy mess where VSS fail to "fool" my brain. Am hoping HT helps resolve this.

Even pro FPS players don't keep perfectly still - if the HT and the small movement the head makes is able to improve the HRTF's effect on the brain it'd have to be a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back