Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA
Sep 21, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #196 of 520
  Does everyone else have the same opinion of M2 over ear? They just look so gorgeous!

They might be too small on the ear pads. For me they are.
I know the general impressions about Bose are bad, but with the new SoundTrue Around Ear II it is a different story.
I tried them several times at a local showroom, with my own source and they are excellent. Very clear and balanced with good, tight bass. Not like the older models. And they are the most comfortable closed headphones ever. Proper opening size on the ear pads, very good built. You should give them a try. I'm trying to sell my MDR-1A and get them. They are even more comfortable than MDR-1A which are known for the comfort.

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #197 of 520
Ha ha,
first page big title: A STEP UP IN HOME ENTERTAINMENT
on a flash read I thought it was: A STEP UP IN HOME RETIREMENT
which is also makes sense :)) especially with the beige HD 599s.

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #198 of 520

Try looking at the Ultrasone HFI-580. It's a phenomenal bang for your buck headphone. It is my daily use over ear, I'm listening to "7 Years Old" by Lukas Graham right now in them and it sounds incredible. You can snag a pair on Amazon for $120. For comfort, pick yourself up a pair of the HM5 replacement pads while you're there. The stock pads were not big enough to go around my ears, and the HM5 pads make any leakage almost nonexistent. And they are foldable to boot. Also, whatever you do, don't be tempted to get the HFI-780 for a bit more. It completely lacks the low end and it's highs can get out of control.

Here is a couple pics of my HFI-580's with the HM5 pads.

I like this recommendation and actually checked these bad boys out before but there wasnt a ton of information out there about them. 

Curious though, have you tried the HM5 velor pads?? Or can compare them to the memory foam ones? Much appreciated!

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #200 of 520
I haven't tried the velour or hybrid HM5 pads yet. That is in the future for sure. The hybrids interest me the most. The only reason I didn't go with those so far is I've been worried about leakage vs the pleather pads. As for the cord not being detachable, I thought that would bother me, but it really hasn't been an issue. I guess I figured that if it went bad, I'd just have it modded with a jack to use a detachable cable.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #202 of 520
Ha ha,
first page big title: A STEP UP IN HOME ENTERTAINMENT
on a flash read I thought it was: A STEP UP IN HOME RETIREMENT
which is also makes sense :)) especially with the beige HD 599s.
had a good laugh at that one :) also, is it jut me, or is the thread title has just been nonchalantly changed to a more casual tone?

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #203 of 520
The Bose Sound True II sound better to my taste than any Ultrasone. I've heard several, it's distant and tinny sound, with piercing highs that the sometimes generous bass can't offset. I think they're overpriced and hyped to match it. There's a great video of Tyll at Inner Fidelity (who my opinions usually tend to agree with) grimacing in pain, listening one of their most expensive (and hence, you'd think, one of their best) pairs of headphones. That says it all. The Bose are lighter and incredibly comfortable vs. most cans.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #204 of 520
Lol, yeah, that was the Edition 10 video. It, and having heard the 780, almost stopped me from getting the HFI-580, but for the $120 price tag, I had to try it. I'm super glad I did, I find the 580 to be great. Never thought them to be piercing. I also don't think the 580's are overpriced @ $120.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #205 of 520
   I also don't think the 580's are overpriced @ $120.

$120 for any quality headphone is a fantastic deal! Lord knows we have all paid much much more for cans that failed to live up to our expectations **cough T70 cough**. 
L3000.gif

beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #206 of 520
I will be getting the 579 in the next week or so. Love the color and hopefully they are comfortable. I have been looking for extremely comfortable ote headphones for a while.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #207 of 520
anyone has an idea of the driver size on all products?

especially Sennheiser HD 4.30G, 40mm?

as sennheiser doesnt seem to declare, what driver size it has yet, even on the sales website in germany

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #208 of 520
Someone orrect m3, but I think it is a 32mm in the 4 series. One spec I saw said 1.3 inch which is 33mm.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #209 of 520
Hi, I bought a pair of HD599 from  
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/65484/hfvhh/Sennheiser-HD-599-kuulokkeet  
for €219,50, got it today.

First impression: sound quality is practically identical with HD598. Not at all approaching HD600 or anything like that. The bass might be just a bit more prominent in HD599 than in HD598; it's just noticeable, but probably this is due to this pair not having burned in properly yet? Also, comparing with my existing HD598, the burned-in 598 has just a slightly, just a tiny bit really, crispier sound, but I expect that the 599 will reach similar crispiness after the burn-in period.
So: definitely a bit more bassy at least at first, (so the sound is not immediately balanced like with HD598). And some crispiness (but not much, really) is lost at least straight out of the package. These differences are so subtle they might be matters of opinion, though. Writing this and listening to Davie Bowie's Width of a Circle, however,  I notice now that I do automatically pay more attention to the bassline (because it really is more prominent)  than listening to the same song with 598. Yes, indeed, the bass does jump out with this new model more. It might not be just a question of burning-in but of a conscious design choice? Remains to be seen. It's a good sounding bass, I really don't have enough experience of different headphones to say how tight it is, but it seems to be tight enough and controlled; at least not muddled and soft. It's the kind I am starting to like as we speak, though I am not a bass aficionado. 

It is very comfortable to wear, a bit stiff still because new, but I expect it will stretch out with time. I can't unfortunately compare with HD598 in this respect because I had to put tape around the HD598 headband to keep it together, because the filling started to burst out some time ago (the seam cracked). So, side-by-side comparison is not possible for me with respect to wearing comfort. The earcups are exactly as big in both models, judging with bare eyes. 

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #210 of 520
Yes, these are surely all using 40mm drivers.  HD5x8, 5x5, HD700, and 6x0 all use 40mm.  HD380 seems to be using 42mm, if I recall correctly.  The other full-sized headphones are using 36mm, except headsets based on HD380 like PC360 and such.
Since Senn won't mention them, we have to take a look ourselves by opening them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back