Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA
Sep 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #181 of 520
In the Momentum thread, there were several similar opinions claiming that the Momentum over-ear (either the original or the M2) sound like a closed HD650, there should be a reason why this opinion is so constant.

We all parrot each other. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #182 of 520
  Ok, intitial inpressions. Like all the Sennheisers with a similar shape, the HD 569 are plastic but feel pretty solid. The pads have a great velvety feel to them and are super comfortable and seal well. As for their isolation, I'd have to say decent. Someone sitting right next to you would know the song you're listening to past 50% volume, someone sitting 5 feet away would know you were listening to something, but it would be so low as to to unintelligible. They are easy to drive direct from my LG G5, but I preferred to use my E17k to run them. When listening to music from my laptop I used my SB E5 and these things shined. The highs are crisp and clean without being overly bright with a nice roll off at the very top. The sub bass was a surprise, its not crazy, but its plenty, very fast and precise. There is a slight bump in the mid bass, easily EQ'ed. But to me, the mid-range is where this set just rises to the top. They are perfectly present without being too forward, and manage to sound good with both male and female vocals. I ran them through my little group of test songs (I'm sure everyone has there go-to test songs) and there wasn't any genre these failed to sound good with. I'll post up more in a couple/few weeks and see if anything changes, but as of now, I'm completely happy with the purchase.

Better bang for your buck??

The momentum 2.0 over ear or the new HD 569?? You can get the momentums for around $200 bucks on amazon now....

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #183 of 520
 Momentum 2.0 over ear or the new HD 569?? You can get Momentums for around $200

True. The problem is, they barely fit larger heads, and the earpads are not wide and deep enough for many, even in version 2.0. Newer HD5XX carry the general design of older HD5XX. Tall and wide pads, lots of depth, and headbands that open much wider.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #184 of 520

Momentum 2.0 over ear or the new HD 569?? You can get Momentums for around $200

True. The problem is, they barely fit larger heads, and the earpads are not wide and deep enough for many, even in version 2.0. Newer HD5XX carry the general design of older HD5XX. Tall and wide pads, lots of depth, and headbands that open much wider.

^That right there. I'm not dumbo, but the M2.0 did not fit my ear, and the 569 is ridiculously comfortable.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #185 of 520
Man! I read so many conflicting reviews about how comfortable the M2 are. Figured for 200 it may be worth it but screw it. There should be a more recent viable option now anyway. 

How is the bleeding on the 569's? I know you touched upon this before, but just curious if your opinion has changed? I work at a desk so would they be suitable for the office??

Honestly, I am looking for a great portable set of closed back headphones for around 200 bucks. It has become quite the task to be honest. Basically because there are so many options. I prefer a neutral sound signature and listen to mainly folk/indie/classical/movie scores. I dont want bass ruining my mids, but still want a little rumble when necessary. The ability for them to fold would be nice as well. 

Any suggestions from you experts?

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #186 of 520
Have you looked into the AKG K553?

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #187 of 520

I have actually but they just look so massive! I have looked at so many and really want to pull the trigger on the oppo pm3 but they are just so damn expensive. 

I know I want over ears and just trying not to cross that thin line of being too big but still fitting over my ears comfortably and remaining portable/foldable. 

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #188 of 520

I have actually but they just look so massive! I have looked at so many and really want to pull the trigger on the oppo pm3 but they are just so damn expensive. 

I know I want over ears and just trying not to cross that thin line of being too big but still fitting over my ears comfortably and remaining portable/foldable. 

Try looking at the Ultrasone HFI-580. It's a phenomenal bang for your buck headphone. It is my daily use over ear, I'm listening to "7 Years Old" by Lukas Graham right now in them and it sounds incredible. You can snag a pair on Amazon for $120. For comfort, pick yourself up a pair of the HM5 replacement pads while you're there. The stock pads were not big enough to go around my ears, and the HM5 pads make any leakage almost nonexistent. And they are foldable to boot. Also, whatever you do, don't be tempted to get the HFI-780 for a bit more. It completely lacks the low end and it's highs can get out of control.

Here is a couple pics of my HFI-580's with the HM5 pads.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #189 of 520
Try looking at the Ultrasone HFI-580. It's a phenomenal bang for your buck headphone. It is my daily use over ear, I'm listening to "7 Years Old" by Lukas Graham right now in them and it sounds incredible. You can snag a pair on Amazon for $120. For comfort, pick yourself up a pair of the HM5 replacement pads while you're there. The stock pads were not big enough to go around my ears, and the HM5 pads make any leakage almost nonexistent. And they are foldable to boot. Also, whatever you do, don't be tempted to get the HFI-780 for a bit more. It completely lacks the low end and it's highs can get out of control.

Here is a couple pics of my HFI-580's with the HM5 pads.

Is it better than the M50x by a large margin?

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #190 of 520
Is it better than the M50x by a large margin?

A large margin might be an overstatement, but in my own opinion, yes, they are definitely better. The bass is better in that its cleaner and deeper, and the overall clarity and sound stage is better. They highs are just a bit bright out of the box on the 580's but mellow out with a burn in. YMMV.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #191 of 520
A large margin might be an overstatement, but in my own opinion, yes, they are definitely better. The bass is better in that its cleaner and deeper, and the overall clarity and sound stage is better. They highs are just a bit bright out of the box on the 580's but mellow out with a burn in. YMMV.

Have you tried the Ultrasone Performance Series 840?

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #192 of 520
No, unfortunately not, I've been curious about their Performance Series. I've heard the HFI-780, Pro 550 and Pro 900 (not the 900i). I also haven't heard the DJ1 or DJ1 Pro, but from what I understand the DJ1 is the same driver as the HFI-580 and the DJ1 Pro is the same as the Pro 550. One day I'd like to get my hands on a Signature Pro.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #193 of 520

I don't think 553 is that massive, not versus HD5x8, and consequently HD5x9.

553 Is neutral and closed back as you want.  As long as the pads get a good seal on your head, you won't bother your coworkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back