Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Mar 1, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #196 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakey
The cx 300's don't really compare to my ety er4p's.

I think the comparison is not fair yet...cos you said you've only had them a couple of days. I've been refraining from making a review till at least 100hrs burn in. So maybe in a couple of weeks or so.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #197 of 554
Boy, I'm glad I won't be so analytical as some of you guys with my listening time.
etysmile.gif

Just going to make sure they work properly. As long as they sound undistorted and clear, I'll like them.
I will check them out wth some foam inserts if I can, "sounds" interesting.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #198 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakey
I put some Etymotic foam pieces on the cx 300's and they sound awfully good for a pair of sub $100 earphones.

Which model foam pieces did you use? I have some foam tips from my ER-4S that I ordered back in 1999 and there is no way they are fitting on the CX300.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #199 of 554
Just got the heaphones and am listening to them as I type. They sound very good out of the box and I'll see if the percieved break in period has an impact on the sound. So far they're doing their job just fine, clean undistorted sound. I like the fact that they're easy to drive as well. With the Sony Ex phones I tended to want to turn them up louder, but these are efficient enough that they sound fine at lower volume levels.

I notice that they're more forward with certain frequencies and the midrange is more present than the Sonys. I'm using them with an Archos Gmini 220 and they sound very balanced for the source material which are mostly mid quality MP3 compressed files. Bass seems more pronounced too and with some equalzation you can easily suit it to your taste

I would also like to point out that they are very attractive earphones, especially the silver ones that I recieved. Very compact and sleek looking design, not that it matters, but it's nice.

Overall, I'm satisfied and I think most people would be for a set of earphones at this price. Thanks to the thread starter for doing his review and bringing them to our attention. Happy listening!
etysmile.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #200 of 554
Well, I got my CX300's today (technically yesterday now) so I might as well weigh in also. First let me say, I HATE packaging that you have to destroy to get to the merchandise. Second, if Panasonic can give us a nice little bag with their $20 canalphones, you'd think the Sennheiser could throw in a little something for storage with their $70 canalphones (I'm glad I only had to pay $40). And now, let me say that all is forgiven.
icon10.gif
These sound absolutely amazing. When I first put them on I thought there was a slight veil and that the bass dominated the music (although it wasn't boomy). So I let them burn in for about 4 hrs will I ate dinner, watched a little TV, put the kids to bed and hung out with the wife for a while. When I got back to them I could tell that they had opened a bit. So I decided to put them through their paces with some of my usual reference material. All listening was done on my PC rig.

First, The Killers - "Hot Fuss". This CD has some great sound and can be quite bright on some phones. The CX300's handled it with ease. Bass was awesome but never boomy. Mids and highs were clear and balanced without any sibilance or harshness. Vocals were very distinct, again without any harshness. Ok, these do rock very well.

Next, Shpongle - "Tales of the Inexpressible". This is one of my all time favorite Cd's and honestly it can actually make bad headphones sound better that they are. But on good headphones it is a true joy to listen to. The music has many layers, deep, thumping bass, great electronic beats, guitars, female vocals, as well as a lot of ambient sounds. Again, the CX300's were spectacular. The bass almost rattled my teeth and yet remained detailed. The main beats were crisp and fast. Guitars and vocals soared. And I heard ambient sounds that I never had before.

Last, Steve Tibbets - "YR". For those not familiar, this is, IMHO, one of the greatest instrumental guitar albums ever made. Again, many layers to the music even though it is almost exclusively guitar and percussion. The songs merge electric, acoustic and bass guitars with a wide variety of different percussions including kalimba, congas, tabla, bongos and bells. This is another of my all time favorite CD's and I have listened to innumerable times over the past 18 yrs. And all I can say is WOW! Again, the CX300's reproduce every sound perfectly with amazing detail.

Along the way I compared the CX300's to my RP-HJE50's (my first and only other foray into canalphones). I was never able to get a great seal with the Panny's and wondered if that would be indicative of all canalphones. The answer is definitely NO. The Senns fit great and are more comfortable. They also beat the snot out of the Panny's in every area of sound. The Senn's bass is in a whole other league and while the Panny's have better extension on the high end, it is harsh and fatiguing. No comparison.

While bass certainly seems to be the strength of the CX300, I cannot find a weakness. These are smooth, silky and lush but not at the expense of being able to rock when they need to. I always thought I liked my headphones a little brighter but I think I had just never heard highs done right before. Overall, I still prefer my HD590's, as they do everything the CX300's do but taken to another level of refinement. But I think the CX300's may have just moved into 2nd place. I will have to listen to these for a while but I think I may end up preferring them even to my SR80's. While the SR80's sound great, they can be quite fatiguing. The CX300's are just smoother and more refined. Of course, those aren't words normally associated with the lower end Grado's and for that very reason, if you're a Grado fan these may not be your cup of tea.

etysmile.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #201 of 554
wow, thanks for the great review. i can't wait 'til my cx300 arrive now!
so i assume you were amping them with the total airhead? if you don't mind, let us know what you think of them unamped out of your portable when you get the chance.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #204 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie
how do these compare to the sharp md-33's?

I have both the MD33s and the CX300s. They fit and sound similar. I cannot detect any difference in sound quality. The design and construction of the ear pieces including the ear inserts are identical. The only difference is in the cabling and plug.

The MD33s use the 4 pole plug as well as a shorter, shinier, thinner cable with a straight plug. The cable has developed noticeable wear and tear after less than a year. The rubbery material has hardened slightly. An extension cord is provided.

The CX300s come with a right angle plug on a standard length cable. The cable uses a thicker, more grippy material. It looks more rugged than the MD33s cable.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #205 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseguy
Overall, I'm satisfied and I think most people would be for a set of earphones at this price. Thanks to the thread starter for doing his review and bringing them to our attention. Happy listening!
etysmile.gif

You are welcome, sir!

I'm really enjoying my CX-300 a bit more every day. I'm amazed at how good these canal headphones are. And for that price!!!

As I said, I'm one happy camper with my purchase.
etysmile.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #208 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
I have both the MD33s and the CX300s. They fit and sound similar. I cannot detect any difference in sound quality. The design and construction of the ear pieces including the ear inserts are identical. The only difference is in the cabling and plug.

The MD33s use the 4 pole plug as well as a shorter, shinier, thinner cable with a straight plug. The cable has developed noticeable wear and tear after less than a year. The rubbery material has hardened slightly. An extension cord is provided.

The CX300s come with a right angle plug on a standard length cable. The cable uses a thicker, more grippy material. It looks more rugged than the MD33s cable.

Sounds like they are identical to the EP630's

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #210 of 554
*sigh* now that i actually need this, they aren't for $40 anymore... oh well. if anyone's interested in selling me a pair let me know. gonna play the waiting game for now.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back