Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Mar 3, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #212 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoblaze01
*sigh* now that i actually need this, they aren't for $40 anymore... oh well. if anyone's interested in selling me a pair let me know. gonna play the waiting game for now.
mad.gif

Not quite as low, but Amazon has dropped the price on the black ones down to $53.95. Unfortunately, no free shipping though.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #214 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
I have both the MD33s and the CX300s. They fit and sound similar. I cannot detect any difference in sound quality. The design and construction of the ear pieces including the ear inserts are identical. The only difference is in the cabling and plug.

The MD33s use the 4 pole plug as well as a shorter, shinier, thinner cable with a straight plug. The cable has developed noticeable wear and tear after less than a year. The rubbery material has hardened slightly. An extension cord is provided.

The CX300s come with a right angle plug on a standard length cable. The cable uses a thicker, more grippy material. It looks more rugged than the MD33s cable.

what i don't understand is why there is such a huge hoopla over these senns. If they're similar to the sharps and SOMEWHAT similar to the creative buds, why have they recieved much more excitement and attention?
the sharps have been out for a few years now, but i don't ever remember people comparing them to ety's or shures, or even trying them out with foam tips or flanges.

so what gives?

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #215 of 554
I think it's the cost. From what I understand good quality for the price and availability? Don't think the ep630s were available in the US?

Anyways, I saw this on fatwallet, didn't want to jump until I did more research. Then the price went up = ( and not only that after reading alot on these forums I want to go out and buy more audio gear.
Now I'm sad...

Anyways, I couldn't resist (stupid stupid head-fi making me impulsive!) so I ordered for $38 + 11 shipping at yonies.com , best deal I could find on-line. They also sell on ebay but a bit more expensive. Only black was in stock, but I wanted black anyways.

I would also like to know more about using different tips/flanges. First time IEM user, so looking primarily for comfort since my friend with sony ex71's always complains about irritation and general unpleasantness.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #216 of 554
Yea I'd like to learn more about tips that fit these. I just got these and first impression isnt too good right now...treble seems harsh and fatiguing and I have these things jammed into my ear. Bass seems overblown and boomy. Treble is definitely not too transparent, midrange seems lacking, overpowered by the bass, and treble is ssssibilant and unnatural. They sound pretty similar to the sony ex's i've listened to that a friend owns.

This is my first time with IEM's and I don't have experience with high end headphones, but I have a lot of audio experience with higher end home speakers (paradigm, energy, magnepan, revel, monitor, b&w, etc) I'm starting to think I should have picked up a pair of Super.fi 5 pro's...I thought I could get away with these at 40 bucks and not notice too much difference.

I'll let them burn in more and see if anything changes, although I don't believe so much in the concept of 100 hours, breakin should take place within the first few minutes.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #217 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by asap2006
Yea I'd like to learn more about tips that fit these. I just got these and first impression isnt too good right now...treble seems harsh and fatiguing and I have these things jammed into my ear. Bass seems overblown and boomy. Treble is definitely not too transparent, midrange seems lacking, overpowered by the bass, and treble is ssssibilant and unnatural. They sound pretty similar to the sony ex's i've listened to that a friend owns.

This is my first time with IEM's and I don't have experience with high end headphones, but I have a lot of audio experience with higher end home speakers (paradigm, energy, magnepan, revel, monitor, b&w, etc) I'm starting to think I should have picked up a pair of Super.fi 5 pro's...I thought I could get away with these at 40 bucks and not notice too much difference.

I'll let them burn in more and see if anything changes, although I don't believe so much in the concept of 100 hours, breakin should take place within the first few minutes.

Sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying them. Definitely let them burn in for a while. What is your source? Are you using an amp? Because your initial impressions are quite different from mine. I agree that the bass initially sounded overblown but to me it was not boomy at all. And when I first listened to mine the mids and treble sounded balanced but veiled. I have only had mine since yesterday but I have yet to hear one harsh or sibilant note come out of them. In fact, these might be the smoothest sounding headphones I have ever heard. After about 20hrs of burn in the bass is still very prominent but no longer overblown. And it has a nice level of detail to it. Only once, at the end of a very frenetic orchestral piece, have I heard the bass get overly muddy. As I've listened more I have noticed that on some music the mids are a bit recessed but is is very slight and not always noticeable. And, as I said, the highs are very smooth and almost silky.

Of course, they will sound different to everyone based on your ears and your equipment. I hope they work out for you. But if not, there's a whole world of equipment out there just waiting for your money.

BTW...Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your Wallet.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #218 of 554
Hey thanks Mektarus. My impression, after about 5 hours of listening remains the same really. The bass is just too prominent, they may not be boomy, not as boomy and one-notey as the Sony's but theres just too much of it. Treble continues to be extremely sibilant to my ears, in fact I can't listen to them at decently high volume for more than a few minutes without my head starting to hurt. Midrange just seems to be lacking, I feel like these buds are only emphasizing bass(round 40-80hz) and treble(round 5-10khz) and leaving out that crucial midrange.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but my old MX500's sound A LOT smoother, so I don't think so. But maybe IEM just aren't for me and my canals are just oddly shaped? I don't know, I really wanted these to sound good...not spectacular but good.

I've tried a few sources, an ipod mini, nano, a friend's iaudio cw300, and my turtle beach soundcard...and also the headphone jack from my Monsoon pc speakers...the iaudio and turtle beach seemed to sound the best, but the differences were very mild.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #220 of 554
Oh fine guys!!! Just throw in another product i have to decide upon!!!
I havent even decided whether i want the Apple IBUDS,or BOSE TRIPORTS,or SENNHEISER ORPHEUS,yet!!! Now i have yet a forth model to throw into the mix!!! Now what???
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

icon10.gif
Just kidding. Im not as stupid as i look,ya know.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #221 of 554
Just ordered a Pair from Yonies as well. Perhaps I should have asked this prior to ordering, but has anyone ever ordered from them? If so, how was the service? lol stupid need to buy ASAP...
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #222 of 554
I couldn't find any reviews on Yonies...but I ordered on the 28th, shipped on 1st...and apparently...

USPS tracking:
Detailed Results:
Enroute, March 03, 2006, 7:19 am, BERKELEY, CA 94704
Acceptance, March 01, 2006, 2:10 pm, NEW MILFORD, NJ 07646

Wahhh, need to run home to get package!

So, can different tips improve the mid-range flaws asap talked about? Or would better sealing tips just make the bass more prominent?

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #223 of 554
After a few more hours of listening...the highs seem to be less sibilant, I tried jamming them into my ear even more (using the small tips, they provided a better fit, my ears are smalli guess) and the highs settled down a good deal, but then the bass became even more prominent. The other major problem for me is that vocals seem to be veiled, sounds like a midrange issue to me, round 1khz.

Midrange continues to be hard to judge as its overpowered by the upper bass frequencies (100hz and above)

Overall they're getting better and I guess bass is just REALLY LOUD...we'll see how they get after a few more hours.

Different tips would be very interesting to experiment with.

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #224 of 554
Mar 3, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #225 of 554
As I said before, I ordered a pair from Yonies. When I placed the order, I made a mistake in my address, they called me shortly thereafter to correct the mistake and I received any e-mail a little later to confirm that the 'phones had shipped. Those of you looking to purchase these headphones, I would definitely recommend Yonies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back