Sennheiser changed the construction of the HD650 (with pictures)
Mar 31, 2007 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

rhymesgalore

500+ Head-Fier
Today i received a replacement element for my HD650. That's what Sennheiser calls the driver and the plastic part in which the driver is located. See the picture below and you get what i mean:

unbenannt2es1.jpg

and without flash, especially for AdamP88
wink.gif

The left one is the new one, with the driver in place, the right one the old plastic part alone.

As you can see, the covering around the driver hole where black on the old one. It's some kind of translucent gauze, made of some kind of plastic.

But with the new one, it's not plastic anymore, it's metal! It still is some kind of gauze, but as you can also see from the picture, they changed the material itself.

So my question is, if someone knows when they changend this, and also why?

Edit: I took new pictures which show the difference more easily:

Full resolution links:
new one
old one

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks more like the the camera's flash reflecting off the black plastic to me.

Ok, especially for you: the picture without flash:

I didn't post this one in the first place, because it's a bit blurry.

And to get things straight: It feels like metal as well, i didn't just judge from the look of it.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, especially for you: the picture without flash:

I didn't post this one in the first place, because it's a bit blurry.

And to get things straight: It feels like metal as well, i didn't just judge from the look of it.

I peeked into mine and it looks exactly like the left picture (and mine is a 2005 version). I can't see any difference TBH.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 59
rhymesgalore
Very interesting supervision. That material about which is spoken, it is the panel of acoustic resistance. The more densely this material, the is more bass. Not all defines(determines) the driver, his(its) acoustic registration is very important too. Whether there is no opportunity to make a photo more in detail what to see a structure of a material?
Excuse for my English.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one on the left looks like my HD650, which is a couple month old. I think that light colored material is silk.

Most definetly not. As i already said: It feels like metal, and it's also colder than the sourrunding plastic, which is also an indication for some kind of metal.

The one of the old one on the other hand feels like some kind of fabric indeed.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 59

A picture from the other side. The difference in real light is even more easily visible, the flash makes it a bit harder to see.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A picture from the other side. The difference in real light is even more easily visible, the flash makes it a bit harder to see.

Mine looks like the one on the left in your last picture. I guess I'm not following along here too well. Don't make me disassemble my HD650 just to play along now.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 59
Uhm do you have to open up your hd650 to check this out? I just looked at mine from the the outside and it looks like the one on the right. I bought mine in 2004? I think.. maybe 2005. Maybe there's black plastic covering up the silvery looking part?

Can you give the original purchase date of your pre-change phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back