Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #946 of 1,022
While I consider the M-100 a great all-rounder, if rock/metal are your genres I highly recommend the Amperior or my absolute favorite for metal - the ES10.

Thanks for your reply! I mainly listen to rock and metal but also listen to rap. The amperiors don't come with a case which worries me because i will be carrying the headphones I purchase to school with me overstay. Are they sturdy enough to carry without a case?

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #947 of 1,022
Ohhhh yes. They are durable beasts. I carry them around my neck, and have dropped them on the ground countless times, but they've tanked it all fearlessly and effortlessly.

You could also just throw them in your backpack without a worry, IMO.

EDIT: I wonder... since they've been "discontinued", I wonder if you'd still be able to buy replaceable parts from Sennheiser? 

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #950 of 1,022
Okay that's good. Do you know much about the srh940?

In terms of durability, the SRH940 fares rather poorly, as it is an almost entirely plastic construction, with joints that do not provoke a lot of confidence. There are also many reports of the headband cracking under normal usage for many people. In terms of sound, the 940 is a step up from the Amperior in terms of soundstage and the SRH940 has very nice mids and treble, but rather poor bass that requires EQ (and sounds decent when EQed). They are also rather uncomfortable, for a lot of people, myself included. In fact, its their comfort that made me sell them, I was quite satisfied with the sound quality...

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #951 of 1,022
I found that after applying the "rope mode" (placing small rope into the headphone cups), the bass of srh940 sounded fairly balanced, and bass quality above of my hd25 II 1 (and I assume amperior). If there wasn't built quality problem, I would recommend them  (mine are a bit cracked,  but they resist yet).
Frankly I find the bass of hd25 II 1 way  too monotonic, all it have to offer is some thump,
and I just don't understand why people would recommend them for their (mid)bass (it's here, but it's gross).

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #952 of 1,022
I just bought the Amperiors from a UK Authorized Seller for an absolute steal!!!!!!I paid half price for them as well should be on My ears Tuesday along with My CMOYbb amp.The deal was waaay too good to resist as they are £250 here and not many People are discounting them.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #953 of 1,022
I found that after applying the "rope mode" (placing small rope into the headphone cups), the bass of srh940 sounded fairly balanced, and bass quality above of my hd25 II 1 (and I assume amperior). If there wasn't built quality problem, I would recommend them  (mine are a bit cracked,  but they resist yet).
Frankly I find the bass of hd25 II 1 way  too monotonic, all it have to offer is some thump,
and I just don't understand why people would recommend them for their (mid)bass (it's here, but it's gross).

Amperior's bass was pretty thumpy with the mid-bass and the sssssibilance wasssss sssso annoying for me. SRH940 doesn't have that sibilance problem which is part of the reason why I love it for rock over the Amperior. The Amperior's mids were also wonky and metallic-sounding compared to the SRH940.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #954 of 1,022
Has anyone compared the SE535 and Amperior?

I've owned both in the past, and own the SE535 now, but am thinking about getting the Amperior again. I know its apples and oranges in one way, and I know that the Amperior is less comfortable (at least for me), but does anyone have impressions regarding sound? When I had the Amperior, I didn't really keep it long enough to get a good sense of its signature. Can anyone whose had both say whether one is better than the other? 

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #955 of 1,022
Ok i tried the Amperiors and the fit wasn't quite right i have exchanged them for a set of AiAiAi TMA-1 Beatports Edition for not a lot of money these have the updated Earcups i really loved the sound of the Amperiors but i couldn't get them to fit right and they hurt My left ear after just 20 minutes of listening.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #956 of 1,022
[size=12.727272033691406px]Amperior's bass was pretty thumpy with the mid-bass and the sssssibilance wasssss sssso annoying for me. SRH940 doesn't have that sibilance problem which is part of the reason why I love it for rock over the Amperior. The Amperior's mids were also wonky and metallic-sounding compared to the SRH940.[/size]

I've no idea how the Amperior's mids could ever be described as metallic or wonky, they are the strongest part of the headphone, with a natural warmth and richness. The K701 and SRH940 both have mids that could be described closer to "metallic" and wonky, with pathetic bass impact for most forms of rock and a tonal balance that spotlights the inherent harshness in the treble regions of this genre. In terms of sibilance, the Amperior has less than a top-end closed can like a TH900.

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #958 of 1,022
I've no idea how the Amperior's mids could ever be described as metallic or wonky, they are the strongest part of the headphone, with a natural warmth and richness. The K701 and SRH940 both have mids that could be described closer to "metallic" and wonky, with pathetic bass impact for most forms of rock and a tonal balance that spotlights the inherent harshness in the treble regions of this genre. In terms of sibilance, the Amperior has less than a top-end closed can like a TH900.

The mids sound very sharp to me and can be harsh. However they are very accurate with distortion on guitars. Listening to the guitar intro in korn's coming undone at high volumes is a little rough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back