Sennheiser Amperiors?
Dec 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #751 of 1,022
Quote:
I used to use the Leckerton Audio UHA6S Mkii to amp them. Mostly used with an amp, but they did sound good without as well

Can you give a more in depth observation when the amperior is amped? I would like to try it myself but the store that carries it is quite far from where I am from. Thank you. :)

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #752 of 1,022
Sure, the driver's are much more controlled which gives a faster transient respose. You get more detail, more controlled bass, and just an overall tighter sound. The Amperior is very efficient, so it sounds good without an amp, but I also find it improves quite a bit with an amp which I can say about all headphones. For example, my Vmoda M80 doesn't improve all that much. Hope this helps. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #753 of 1,022
Cool thanks! I look forward testing it again myself. :) However, I am a bit torn if I'm going to buy the amperior. I was thinking of keeping my HD25 then adding a DAC+Amp for my idevice (Fostex HP-P1, the ideal scenario, or CLAS+Continental/RX MKii) or the amperior+$300 portable amp (Headstage Arrow 4G/TTVJ Slim/RSA P51 Mustang) .

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #754 of 1,022
^ yeah, hopefully you will get to try them out for a decent amount of time. I think the Apple store gives you a two week money back thing. While I really appreciated the difference between the 25 and Amperior, some here didn't find it worth the money to upgrade. So, in the end, hopefully you will get a chance to compare and make that call. The 25s have been good for a long time for a reason and the Amperiors are a pretty big % step up in price.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #755 of 1,022
Quote:
^ yeah, hopefully you will get to try them out for a decent amount of time. I think the Apple store gives you a two week money back thing. While I really appreciated the difference between the 25 and Amperior, some here didn't find it worth the money to upgrade. So, in the end, hopefully you will get a chance to compare and make that call. The 25s have been good for a long time for a reason and the Amperiors are a pretty big % step up in price.

Unfortunately for me, there's no Apple store here in the Philippines and I don't think that the store that carries the Amperior here in the Philippines has a return policy. I really like the Amperior when I tried it. However, I am thinking if I am better of upgrading my source by adding the HP-P1 to my HD25 rig or go the more portable way and just upgrade my headphone with the Amperior and a $300 amp. Such a life of a head-fier.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #756 of 1,022
Quote:
Cool thanks! I look forward testing it again myself. :) However, I am a bit torn if I'm going to buy the amperior. I was thinking of keeping my HD25 then adding a DAC+Amp for my idevice (Fostex HP-P1, the ideal scenario, or CLAS+Continental/RX MKii) or the amperior+$300 portable amp (Headstage Arrow 4G/TTVJ Slim/RSA P51 Mustang) .

I think this is money much better spent...your HD25s are solid set of cans.....start saving up next for the DT1350s and you are set to go!

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #757 of 1,022
Quote:
Sure, the driver's are much more controlled which gives a faster transient respose. You get more detail, more controlled bass, and just an overall tighter sound.....I also find it improves quite a bit with an amp which I can say about all headphones.

Agreed...especially with the latter.   Assuming you enjoy the color your amp presents. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #758 of 1,022
Quote:
I think this is money much better spent...your HD25s are solid set of cans.....start saving up next for the DT1350s and you are set to go!

I actually feel that the Amperior+amp would be better for me at least on the financial side of things. Buy the headphone first then the amp. Plus it would be more portable. The portable DAC+amp would probably sound better but would make a bigger hole on my pocket. One time big time expense is always a bad idea (though not sure if that applies in this hobby XD). Probably next year I will be able to buy the Amperior. As for the DT1350, I might have to pass on that. I did not like it when I tried it.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #759 of 1,022
Wow.. just got these from DAHMART off of Amazon for $205 (refurbished but look brand new) and they sound amazingly well without an amp.  I've been using the HD25-1 ii for about a year and a half and my initial impressions of the Amperiors so far is that the sound is much more refined and cleaner resulting in better separation and detail, and the bass is a lot tighter and impactful.  Definitely worth the upgrade over hd25-1 ii imo!! 

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #760 of 1,022
I'd be curious if anyone has ever modded their HD25s by putting some akasa paxmate in the cups and compared the sound to the Amperior. I did that to another pair of HD25s that I have and the sound became smoother and more refined than the stock HD25 that I also have.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #761 of 1,022
I'd be curious if anyone has ever modded their HD25s by putting some akasa paxmate in the cups and compared the sound to the Amperior. I did that to another pair of HD25s that I have and the sound became smoother and more refined than the stock HD25 that I also have.

Believe me, that's something I'm also curious about. Just that instead of the paste I want to try with Dynamat + CCF, just like you would deaden a vehicle's door.

Thing is I'd rather save up that money for some DT1350s. But yeah, it'd be a nice mod.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #762 of 1,022
^ In theory that should work to some degree. Probably not as well as the newly engineered cups but I'd try it if I had the 25s. Damping the backs of my Grado HP-2s made a noticeable difference with no down side.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #763 of 1,022
Well, I decided to buy the Amperiors after all the replies here. I didn't have enough time to give them a good listen (I have a 30 day audition period). My first conclusion (after short audition in combination with Audioengine D1 (DAC + Headphone Amp) is that they're a improvement over my Klipsch Image Ones. They're less muddy, bass is tighter and more clear in the mids. But the Amperior didn't gave me a 'wow'-effect (compared to the Klipsch Image Ones). I also don't like the fact there isn't a carrying case included (which I knew when I bought them, but still; makes them less portable.

I will give them more time before I'll make a decision. The alternative is to return them and buy a headphone for home use (for example circumaural and open), and keep the Klipsch cans for portable use. But I'm not sure a 350/400 dollar headphone is worth it's money when using with a relatively cheap Audioengine D1 DAC/Headphone Amp and relatively cheap mobile amp (fiio) for using at home with Iphone/iPad. But I guess this thread is the wrong place for questions like this.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #764 of 1,022
Quote:
...But I'm not sure a 350/400 dollar headphone is worth it's money when using with a relatively cheap Audioengine D1 DAC/Headphone Amp and relatively cheap mobile amp (fiio) for using at home with Iphone/iPad. But I guess this thread is the wrong place for questions like this.

Some headphones are very well worth it. There are lots of headphones out there that doesn't improve drastically with better amping and/or DACs.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #765 of 1,022
Hey there,
 I have had my Amperiors for about a month now and I do believe that they do sound better after using them for this short time. I'm not sure is that is a "burn in" effect but I am definitely happy with my purchase. Keep in mind that I am new to headphones and might not know what I'm talking about from a technical stand point. I just know that what my ears hear.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back