Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jul 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #618 of 1,022
I agree with you on the P5.  I actually recommended the C5 which is B&W's in-ear.  I can't really speak to gaming since I am an old dude in my 40's and haven't been a gamer since Sega Genesis, but the M4U2 definitely has a good soundstage for closed headphones.  I genuinely feel they are one of the best values out there for headphones since they offer detail found in much more expensive models, work as portables and for home use and sound great amped and unamped.  Worldwide Stereo (wwstereo.com) sometimes offers these at 10% off.

Do they ship to belgium? It seems I cannot find a good shipper to belgium. And what about warranty? Today I will probably head down to an Apple store and audition the Amperiors! I'm curious on how I'll find them.

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #619 of 1,022
Jul 10, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #620 of 1,022
Jul 10, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #621 of 1,022
I just went to the apple store in Antwerp, but no luck. The guy behind the counter never heard of the amperiors. Also I'm searching for a company that'll ship in dollars because 300 pounds vs 400 dollars is a big difference for a student like me.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #622 of 1,022
Has anyone tried the Amperior pads on the HD25-1ii? I'm really curious if any of the sonic qualities transfer over w/ the new pads. 

I'm even more curios after a Senneheiser rep said each earpad was designed for each headphone; makes me think there may be a secret! 
wink_face.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #623 of 1,022
I finally got a chance to get to the Apple Store and demo the Amperiors and I was not impressed.  As a long time HD 25-1 II owner, I thought perhaps the lower impedance of the Amperior would offer ampless the sound of the HD 25-1 II with an amp, which I believe is Sennheiser's intention, thus the name:  Amp-erior.  This was not the case however and the Amperior to my ears displays the same muddiness that the HD 25-1 II suffers without an amp.  That's not to say that the Amperior sounds bad, but I believe one's money is better spent buying the HD 25-1 II and an amp. Along with the much cheaper price for the headphones, the higher impedance of the HD 25-1 II means that they will see more power from the additional voltage offered by an amp than the Amperior would.  For those interested in the quality of the sound, I believe the HD 25-1 II with an amp will always better the Amperior, aluminum capsules and smooth velour pads notwithstanding.  YMMV.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #624 of 1,022
Quote:
I finally got a chance to get to the Apple Store and demo the Amperiors and I was not impressed.  As a long time HD 25-1 II owner, I thought perhaps the lower impedance of the Amperior would offer ampless the sound of the HD 25-1 II with an amp, which I believe is Sennheiser's intention, thus the name:  Amp-erior.  This was not the case however and the Amperior to my ears displays the same muddiness that the HD 25-1 II suffers without an amp.  That's not to say that the Amperior sounds bad, but I believe one's money is better spent buying the HD 25-1 II and an amp. Along with the much cheaper price for the headphones, the higher impedance of the HD 25-1 II means that they will see more power from the additional voltage offered by an amp than the Amperior would.  For those interested in the quality of the sound, I believe the HD 25-1 II with an amp will always better the Amperior, aluminum capsules and smooth velour pads notwithstanding.  YMMV.

So do you imply that amping remove the muddiness ? I'm a bit skeptical.
I think the hd25 sounds less muddy when you increase volume, that might be what you observe.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #625 of 1,022
Quote:
So do you imply that amping remove the muddiness ? I'm a bit skeptical.
I think the hd25 sounds less muddy when you increase volume, that might be what you observe.

The HD 25-1 II is a very sensitive headphone that can be driven to loud volume levels from a DAP.  My experience demonstrates that amping makes the HD 25-1 II clearer and crisper at the same volume level.  YMMV.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #627 of 1,022
I have the Amps now, as well as the HD25. I wanted to fit silver cups to my HDs but the reseller never replied to my request. Anyway, they're certainly easier to drive than my HDs. I rarely run headphones from my iPhone, so it's less the impedance than the SQ. I did an A/B with them against my HD25s with velour (blindfolded, lol) out of an RME audio interface with the help if my wife and I chose the Amp for SQ 7/10 times. Hardly definitive, however. In any event they look and sound great.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #628 of 1,022
When I had both Amperior and HD25, I always preferred the sound of Amperior, amped or un-amped. The most noticeable part was Amperior had more controlled and better bass impact. Especially in busy music passages with bass, the extra control of Amperior made the passage not as muddy as HD25.
Un-amped, connected directly to my phone, the Amperior's volume at 6 is same as HD25's volume at 8 or so. Amperior was definitely easier to drive, and had better sound than HD-25.
Amped (FiiO E-17), connected to my phone, the SQ gap between the headphone closes in slightly, but Amperior still sounds better at busy passages.
I ended up selling the HD25 and keeping the Amperior.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #629 of 1,022
Quote:
The HD 25-1 II is a very sensitive headphone that can be driven to loud volume levels from a DAP.  My experience demonstrates that amping makes the HD 25-1 II clearer and crisper at the same volume level.  YMMV.

Is it the amp or just a better dac ? A cleaner source would sound better regardless of the amping. And I would think that the hd25 doesn't require amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back