Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #559 of 1,022
Quote:
Now, let's stay civil for a while. Would you actually describe their sound as torture, given the circumstances that I know what real torture is like, or would you perhaps rephrase it to "Not enough to your liking to make the kind of impression that you would still recommend these someone else"? In that case, we'd be talking about a subjective taste - and not objective torture.

To be quite frank with you, along with the hype machines around this place, the "hate" is just as bad. Someone "hyping" their favorite headphones are just as bad as those "hating" headphones, like calling them torture.

Agreed torture is a strong word.  I was not using the word in an analytical sense.  Rather, it was being used figuratively as a colorful description.  I was surprised anyone would take that as a literal description.  I don't have an agenda since I returned my Amperiors due to perceived deficiencies and also think that Ultrasone makes some of the best sounding headphones on the market with the Signature Pro and Edition 8.

My literal impression of the Pro 900 is that it is bright to the point of being harsh on the high end with recessed mids. So, I would find them an unpleasant listen even with their impressive bass performance.

My deepest apologies for misuse of the word, particularly if this has personal meaning for you.  I will choose my words more carefully.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #560 of 1,022
Quote:
 I will choose my words more carefully.....

back from my enforced absence so looks like I'll have to follow your lead... ho-hum as they say.

Craigster enjoyed your review and pretty much agree with what you said and like you I'm sending the Amperiors back to Apple (they're picking them up tomorrow).

The Amperior has turned out to be an enigma, with my Walkman X-Series it really does sparkle and if that was my only DAP i would keep the headphones unfortunately I also own a Walkman Z-Series... the WM-Z's bigger soundstage really shows these cans up for what they are 'DJ-Headphones'... with WM-Z the hi's are sibilant and almost non-existent on some tracks and the mid-bass/bass is veiled and muddied this is in contrast to when I use the WM-X.

I got to test the Amperiors with a pair of burnt-in Beydynanmic DT1350's & Grado 225i's on Friday at my hi-fi dealers..... out of the three I'd put the Amperior last because of it's limited soundstage, second would be the DT1350's purely because of a slightly bigger soundstage and seemingly better hi's.... the Grado's won hands down in the test but in my opinion it's unfair to judge other two against the 225i because of the obvious differences.... I was at the dealers for over two hours testing all three with my WM-Z and the only real conclusion I have is that the WM-Z is becoming a bit of a costly nightmare trying to pair with headphones.

I have purchased a pair of Grado's for essentially home use but this really doesn't help my searching for headphones with a wide soundstage on the go for my WM-Z..... I have come to the conclusion that I'm now down to four brands either Shure SE535's or Westone 4Rs (don't really want to go the IEM route but if needs must), Audio-Technica ESW9 or ES10's and finally Ultrasones (though which model to go for with these as I to suffer from tortured ears with finger-nail scraping tin hi's)..... any unbiased help would be appreciated.

I won't be posting much more if at all and I won't go into the petty reasons of why I was banned because not even I can fathom the reason..... for all potential Amperior owners, these are great headphones mated to the right device but for me the annoying faults (leads etc) and the incompatibility with the WM-Z means they were not suited to my needs.

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #561 of 1,022
OK-Guy,

Sorry to hear about your ban.  I think you are a cool dude with intelligent, insightful and entertaining opinions. 

You may have seen some of my positive comments on the PSB M4U2.  I A/B'd these against the Amperior and I think you would be blown away by their sound if you can get your hands on one.  They are supposedly coming out with an unamped version in the fall.  These sound great in passive mode.  I also plan to purchase the V-Moda M-100 the day they are released based solely on the tremendous buzz around them along with descriptions of their sound signature.

P.S.  If anyone is offended by the term "blown away",  I apologize in advance.  It is an American expression meaning overwhelmingly surprised in a good way when used in this context.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #562 of 1,022
Quote:
I have auditioned dozens of headphones over the past few months and would be happy to give my two cents.  I can help narrow it down if you can answer a few questions:

What is your budget?
Where will you primarily be using them?
What kind of music do you like?
Type- in-ear, on ear or over ear?
Do you consider yourself more of a basshead, prefer neutral or like sparkling, bright highs?

budget: ~400 dollar
I will be using them primarily when I'm on the bus but I also want to use them on the computer (to game etc.) so I think good sound stage is also something that I'd like.
I like listening to 60s rock and blues but I am also a fan of today pop/dance music. But I primarily listen to rock.
Type I don't know really, I do want them to be portable so they cannot be too big. Aren't headphones slightly better than in-ears?
I think I am a basshead but I really don't like too much bass.

Thank you for doing this man!

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #563 of 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75

I also plan to purchase the V-Moda M-100 the day they are released based solely on the tremendous buzz around them along with descriptions of their sound signature.

best of luck with that one.... I did that for the Amperior's only to be kinda disappointed... though I must add I also got real excited about getting the M-80's, nice design & packaging (I keep saying that).... don't think me and DJ cans will ever be 'blown away'.

Quote:
OK-Guy,

Sorry to hear about your ban.  I think you are a cool dude with intelligent, insightful and entertaining opinions. 

You may have seen some of my positive comments on the PSB M4U2.  I A/B'd these against the Amperior and I think you would be blown away by their sound if you can get your hands on one.  They are supposedly coming out with an unamped version in the fall.  These sound great in passive mode. 

thanks for the compliment truly, think things get lost in translation when peeps use google-translate, I must try harder not to use elongated words that are obviously confusing and upsetting to some.... god forbid they ever discover Shakespeare in 'olde english' form.

I've looked at the M4U2 after reading your positive recommendation, now you have mentioned that there could be a passive-version in the near future I may hold on (I've found a UK dealer in London so may try and get a listen to the active ones)... any recommendations with regard to Ultrasone?

Out of all the headphones I have tested so far (Grado's excluded), only the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 had a good soundstage (nice detailed sound also) but the headband felt like someone had hit you on the bonce (head) with an iron-bar after about 30mins use so any enjoyment was lost in the race for headache pills... I fancy a go at the ESW9 or ES10's but a couple of things stop me from having a peck, the headband, it looks padded but is it well-padded and the bass... on the ES7 it had bass but no real oomph.

choices huh

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #564 of 1,022
Quote:

best of luck with that one.... I did that for the Amperior's only to be kinda disappointed... though I must add I also got real excited about getting the M-80's, nice design & packaging (I keep saying that).... don't think me and DJ cans will ever be 'blown away'.

thanks for the compliment truly, think things get lost in translation when peeps use google-translate, I must try harder not to use elongated words that are obviously confusing and upsetting to some.... god forbid they ever discover Shakespeare in 'olde english' form.

I've looked at the M4U2 after reading your positive recommendation, now you have mentioned that there could be a passive-version in the near future I may hold on (I've found a UK dealer in London so may try and get a listen to the active ones)... any recommendations with regard to Ultrasone?

Out of all the headphones I have tested so far (Grado's excluded), only the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 had a good soundstage (nice detailed sound also) but the headband felt like someone had hit you on the bonce (head) with an iron-bar after about 30mins use so any enjoyment was lost in the race for headache pills... I fancy a go at the ESW9 or ES10's but a couple of things stop me from having a peck, the headband, it looks padded but is it well-padded and the bass... on the ES7 it had bass but no real oomph.

choices huh

I have found most of the audiophile grade Audio Technicas somewhat light on bass.  Regarding Ultrasones, I am only a fan of the Signature Pro and Edition 8, but I am a BIG fan of those.  I find most others in the line to bright, tinny, harsh, etc. in the high end.  I am also not a Grado fan, but am also sensitive to a headphone sounding veiled, so really like neutral highs.  The M4U2 was able to get me 85% of the way to the Signature Pro at 1/3 the price.  They have a similar sound signature which is near perfection to my ears with excellent detail.  The M-100 holds the promise of the same with bigger bass and a lower price which is why I will wait for them first.

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #565 of 1,022
Quote:

I will be using them primarily when I'm on the bus but I also want to use them on the computer (to game etc.) so I think good sound stage is also something that I'd like.
I like listening to 60s rock and blues but I am also a fan of today pop/dance music. But I primarily listen to rock.
Type I don't know really, I do want them to be portable so they cannot be too big. Aren't headphones slightly better than in-ears?

Hey Niurez,

The good news is, you may not even need to spend $400.  I  wouldn't say that headphones are "slightly better" than in-ears since it is really personal preference and there are so many different in-ear headphones, some of which are among the best sound available.  Since all ears are different, obtaining a good seal with in-ears can be a challenge and even if they are not falling out, they can sound tinny and lifeless if there is not a good seal.  If you want to try out some in ears (high end audio stores have disposable tips so you can audition), I would recommend auditioning Shure, Westone, Monster and Ultimate Ears.  In the under $200 category, I am partial to the B&W C5 ($180) which only has a single driver and is bassy, but I really like the sound.

Regarding headphones, you can't go wrong with a classic standby- the ATH-M50.  Another headphone I like with detailed, accurate sound, but somewhat lacking in bass is the Sennheiser HD380, but it is not as compact.  In the on-ear category, the V-Moda M-80 has a very pleasing sound to my ears.  Each of these is under $200.  Above $200, some of the Beyerdynamics are considered good for gaming as they have an excellent soundstage.  They also make an on-ear, the DT-1350 that I have not heard, but has solid reviews.

For me personally, I am waiting for the V-Moda M-100 that comes out in a month ($299).  It is a full size over-ear, but folds nicely and comes with a compact, form-fitting case.  Even though there is a +8dB bass boost (which is a selling point for me), overall sound quality could be exceptional.  They are also semi-open so they will be good for portable use and may have some sound leakage, but the venting along with 50mm drivers should provide a good soundstage for gaming.  I would encourage you to check out the V-Moda M-100 discussion forum as I think it may meet all of your requirements.  I think the PSB M4U2 we discussed would work as well, but it does have more of an executive look.  The M-100 definitely wins with the coolness factor.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/2625

Here is a link to a buying guide that should be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Whatever you do, learn from my mistakes and don't buy a headphone without auditioning first unless there is a firm return policy. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #566 of 1,022
Quote:

In that price range I would seriously consider splitting the $400 between a full sized home/gaming headphone and a smaller, portable headphone for travel. For example, you could get an open-back for home/gaming use that has good soundstage and a closed-back for travel that has good isolation. Just my .02.

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #568 of 1,022
I just got the Amperior yesterday, and I must say I'm impressed by these little headphones...very good sound in general, but probably not enough sound quality upgrade over HD-25-1 II to warrant the extra $150. However, the little improvements do add up quite well. The aluminum definitely improves the look greatly, the earpads are more comfortable, more convenient thin cables, and mic+remote for iDevices. I'm torn between keeping my HD-25-1 II (more bang for the buck, music wise), or keeping the Amperior (minor upgrade over everything).

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #569 of 1,022
Quote:
I just got the Amperior yesterday, and I must say I'm impressed by these little headphones...very good sound in general, but probably not enough sound quality upgrade over HD-25-1 II to warrant the extra $150. However, the little improvements do add up quite well. The aluminum definitely improves the look greatly, the earpads are more comfortable, more convenient thin cables, and mic+remote for iDevices. I'm torn between keeping my HD-25-1 II (more bang for the buck, music wise), or keeping the Amperior (minor upgrade over everything).

Is it sound quality that matters the most for you ? Or convenience / design.
At 350$, I think I'll save 50$ more and get the hifiman he-400. Unfortunately these are not portable
biggrin.gif
But there's also the ultrasone pro 900.

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #570 of 1,022
Quote:
Is it sound quality that matters the most for you ? Or convenience / design.
At 350$, I think I'll save 50$ more and get the hifiman he-400. Unfortunately these are not portable
biggrin.gif
But there's also the ultrasone pro 900.

Well, I have the HD580 for the full sized home listening (which still trumps Amperior in the sound quality department, with an amp).
So, the real issue is whether Amperior is worth $150 more than HD25-1 II. I think I'll decide after I give Amperior some burn-in time; if the sound still sound the same a week later, I'll probably keep my HD25-1 II and save the extra cash for a DAC or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back