Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #526 of 1,022
Quote:
So if you don't like both (amperior and hd25), what portable cans do u like?

I  only heard the hd25,  but the feedback indicate that amperior sound similar.
I got an experience with a full size closed  headphone srh940, and an iem senn IE7, both I  prefer them in sound quality to the hd25 by a margin.
The thing is that the hd25 made me realize that the on ear design might not be the best road , to get great sound. Unless, it's only the hd25.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #527 of 1,022
Quote:
Well then, if it breaks then you may want the durability of the 25's cord or the thick coating of the 650's. If it actually is steel though, I wouldn't worry. I pick my phone and amp off the ground (Droid x2 and fiio e11) with no worries of the cord.

Well the cord is segmented. The top portion that actually connects to the headphone is rather thickly coated and feels durable like my HD600 cable did. Below the connector is the somewhat dinky cable but I just used the cable from my Shure SE530s for that since they use a thicker cable that felt more consistent with the top half of the cable.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #528 of 1,022
Quote:

I'm sure there are small sonic difference between the hd25 & amperior (intended or not) , but I'm sure it's not worth the 150$ price difference.
Get the amperior, if you are excited to get "metal cups"
rolleyes.gif
, ipod volume control (more a con, than a pro for me), and better comfort.
I  don't find the regular hd25 exciting,  so the amperior even less .
I just keep an eye on this thread, because I was first intrigued by all the raving they got, especially from Tyll.

Not to be rude but I have a hard time taking you serious when you state "metal cups" as if implying they don't actually have metal cups, and then saying ipod volume control is a con when they come with 2 cables, one of which isn't an ipod control cable but a standard audio only cable.

It just seems like you have some specific bias against a product you haven't even touched and have no interest in buying. They aren't as good as Tyll thinks to me, but at least I am being unbiased in my review of them.

Cliffnotes: My Amperiors are going back but may be repurchased when they can be had for less than MSRP. People on head-fi.org frequently frustrate me.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #529 of 1,022
Quote:

Hi, recently I got T50P. I hate it so much the sound is muffled and so picky, some tracks are good others sucks.

Anyways, I decided to get new cans. What would you recommend for me 1350 or Amperior? 

What DAC/Amp that would be a great with 1350 or Amperior?

I am so confused about amps, do they improve bass only or the whole sound?

Have you checked out the Vmoda M-80? They can be had from Amazon.com occassionally for $180 and I think I prefer the sound signature to the Amperior TBH. (The sound is pretty balanced, the highs are what I would consider "polite" but they are not dark headphones like say the TMA-1)

The DT1350s have always interested me but Purrin's experience with them has turned me away from trying them. (He has tested 4 sets now and all 4 have had wildly different measurements on his equipment) I don't want to have to keep buying and returning them from amazon.com until I get a good pair.

The Amperior is a decent set of cans. They sound pretty good but the signature is very V shaped to my ears and the mids are just too lacking for me to pay $350 for them.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #530 of 1,022
Quote:
 as if implying they don't actually have metal cups,

I   shouldn't have used quotes, ok. It was more for sarcasm.
Quote:
and then saying ipod volume control is a con when they come with 2 cables

Ok, I  remove this con from the list.  I don't like the ipod volume control, that's all. But if you have the choice, then great.

Quote:
It just seems like you have some specific bias against a product

Well, I've listened the hd25, and thought it was badly spent money at the end.  I was skeptical regarding all the excitement toward the amperior, and it was worse when someone confirmed that they  sounded too similar to the hd25.
But now, I  don't want to ruin (completely)  the joy that people have with these headphone, because they are enjoyable to a certain extent off course.

Edit: by hd25 , I  mean HD 25-1 II , it's just a pain to write that weird full name.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #531 of 1,022
Quote:
SO ARE THEY THE SAME OR WHAT??? Should I believe the story about Aluminum cans?

Hi DrakAyla -

Before purchasing an Amperior I had the HD 25-1 and the Amperior is a very clear step up in sound from it, so much so that I sold the HD 25. I read that the HD 25-II is a step-up in sound quality from the HD 25-1 but am usure how the HD 25-II compares to the Amperior (I'd say they probably both sound similar).

I recommend the Amperior as an excellent portable / main headphone, and if you want to save money I'd recommend buying a new or used HD 25 if you like the sound. They all sound great out of an iPod, especially when you play high quality music files such as 320 kbps mp3 or Apple Lossless format. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #532 of 1,022
Quote:

The DT1350s have always interested me but Purrin's experience with them has turned me away from trying them. (He has tested 4 sets now and all 4 have had wildly different measurements on his equipment) I don't want to have to keep buying and returning them from amazon.com until I get a good pair.

Purrin's measurements didn't impact my decision to buy the 1350s since I already owned them by the time I saw his findings, but I can understand how that would cause you to feel less confident in them. It's an issue that I wanted to look into myself in order to learn more about how Beyerdynamic does things at their factory, especially after I got a few PMs on the issue. I'm not going to go into all sorts of details since this is an Amperior thread, but I will just tell you that if you decide to investigate yourself, as I did, you may find enough confidence to give them a try. 

As for the Amperiors, I guess since you have Maurice Quarre clearly stating that the goal was for the Amperiors to sound as close to the HD25s as possible, that's why we have people saying the sonic improvements are negligible. I had no idea that was their approach and I'm not sure what to think of it. I'll be interested to see what they go for once Apple's exclusivity expires. Like many of you have said, I'm not sure these are worth the full MSRP. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #533 of 1,022
Quote:

As for the Amperiors, I guess since you have Maurice Quarre clearly stating that the goal was for the Amperiors to sound as close to the HD25s as possible, that's why we have people saying the sonic improvements are negligible. I had no idea that was their approach and I'm not sure what to think of it. I'll be interested to see what they go for once Apple's exclusivity expires. Like many of you have said, I'm not sure these are worth the full MSRP. 

I think we will find that once the Apple exclusivity runs out and the Amperiors are going for $75 to $100 under MSRP they will receive a lot more love as the pricing will be more in line with what you get.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #534 of 1,022
Quote:

I think we will find that once the Apple exclusivity runs out and the Amperiors are going for $75 to $100 under MSRP they will receive a lot more love as the pricing will be more in line with what you get.

I agree...at $249, I'm a customer for sure. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #535 of 1,022
Sennheiser has been recently enforcing msrp for its products.
Unless the amperior does a massive flop, their price won't decrease.
Or it's the price of the hd25 II 1, that would increase, I wouldn't be surprised
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #536 of 1,022
Quote:
Or it's the price of the hd25 II 1, that would increase, I wouldn't be surprised
biggrin.gif

That is possible. I expect them to see some backlash if they enforce MSRP on everything.

There was a time period where their midrange stuff would have been worth MSRP but those days are gone. It would be hard for me to justify HD650s for $499 when I could get HIFI-MAN HE400s for $399.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #538 of 1,022
Quote:
IF money is no object, I consider Ultrasone Signature Pros to be the ultimate (semi) portable headphone.  The sound is as close to perfection as I have heard in a closed headphone.

Is that necessary to go that high in the ultrasone line , to beat the hd25 ? I've just found a thread confirming that the hd25 & hfi-780 are in a different league regarding sound quality:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/337123/ultrasone-780-or-senn-hd-25-1

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #539 of 1,022
Quote:
Is that necessary to go that high in the ultrasone line , to beat the hd25 ? I've just done a thread confirming that the hd25 & hfi-780 are in a different league regarding sound quality:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/337123/ultrasone-780-or-senn-hd-25-1

Good to know about the 780, I have only listened to the Pro 900 (which I didn't care for), the Edition 8 and Signature Pro (think both are great).  Any harshness or sibilance issues with the 780?

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #540 of 1,022
@craigster:
edited my previous post, I meant I 've found the thread, not done it.
The tiny cups are Achilles’ heel of hd25, regarding sound quality. Problem that doesn't exists with full size models.
I found Hfi 780, but I 'm sure you could find other discussion where the hd25 is compared to similarly priced full size and closed models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back