Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #496 of 1,022
Quote:
While the HD25 II is competitive with other $200 headphones, I felt that the Amperior was not worth $350 when comparing the sound to other headphones in that price range.  I'm not going to slam them- they are really good headphones that look amazing and are incredibly comfortable with a nice sound signature, but they are lacking detail in the mids and bass extension.  I A/B'd yesterday with the HD 25II Adidas and couldn't tell the difference between the two.  For all the fuss about the sonic resonance benefits of the aluminum earcups, I feel the benefit is more cosmetic.  I also A/B'd the Amperiors with lesser known PSBM4U2 in passive mode and sonically the PSB was superior throughout the range for about the same price.

How do you like the PSBM4U2? I was looking at these a couple of months ago when the Amperiors kept getting delayed. They were recommended to me by a World WIde Stereo rep at the time, but I was hesitant because there aren't any reviews for the headphones and they looked kinda fragile similar to a beat solo headphone video demos.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #497 of 1,022
Quote:
While the HD25 II is competitive with other $200 headphones, I felt that the Amperior was not worth $350 when comparing the sound to other headphones in that price range.  I'm not going to slam them- they are really good headphones that look amazing and are incredibly comfortable with a nice sound signature, but they are lacking detail in the mids and bass extension.  I A/B'd yesterday with the HD 25II Adidas and couldn't tell the difference between the two.  For all the fuss about the sonic resonance benefits of the aluminum earcups, I feel the benefit is more cosmetic. 

Thanks for your honest comment. I felt the same way as you when I auditioned the Amperior but am confused by all the other reviews I read online.

I know that it was hard to lay hold of a pair of Amperior until recently but whoever that managed to do so claimed that it sounded superior and justified the $150 price increment over the HD25 II. It is an opinion that I beg to differ. If the price increment is for the revised outward appearance design fee and the aluminum material used, then maybe that I would agree.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #498 of 1,022
Quote:

whoever that managed to do so claimed that it sounded superior and justified the $150 price increment over the HD25 II. It is an opinion that I beg to differ.

It was that no-good Tyll Herstens!!! lol  Back a couple months ago I saw his review of the Beyer DT1350 where he called it the "best sealed, supra-aural design he's ever heard"....so I bought them and fell in love. Then I'm reading the review on the Amperiors, which he wrote only 9 months later, and not only does he use the very same statement, that the Senns were "the best sealed, supra-aural headphones I've ever heard", but he says they HANDILY best both the HD-25s and the Beyers. There was no way I was going to part with the 1350s, but he pretty much sold me on getting a second pair of portables (and I've been wanting a good pair of Senns anyway)...so here I'm thinking Sennheiser must have truly raised the bar, so some of these early reports are really a bummer. Tyll loves Sennheiser, so maybe his enthusiasm just got the better of him...I guess he's allowed to do that every so often :)  

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #499 of 1,022
Quote:

It was that no-good Tyll Herstens!!! lol  Back a couple months ago I saw his review of the Beyer DT1350 where he called it the "best sealed, supra-aural design he's ever heard"....so I bought them and fell in love. Then I'm reading the review on the Amperiors, which he wrote only 9 months later, and not only does he use the very same statement, that the Senns were "the best sealed, supra-aural headphones I've ever heard", but he says they HANDILY best both the HD-25s and the Beyers. There was no way I was going to part with the 1350s, but he pretty much sold me on getting a second pair of portables (and I've been wanting a good pair of Senns anyway)...so here I'm thinking Sennheiser must have truly raised the bar, so some of these early reports are really a bummer. Tyll loves Sennheiser, so maybe his enthusiasm just got the better of him...I guess he's allowed to do that every so often :)  

He makes statements like that all the time.  He said that the vmoda m80s would be the headphone to get for 99% of people.  *shrug*

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #500 of 1,022
Quote:

How do you like the PSBM4U2? I was looking at these a couple of months ago when the Amperiors kept getting delayed. They were recommended to me by a World WIde Stereo rep at the time, but I was hesitant because there aren't any reviews for the headphones and they looked kinda fragile similar to a beat solo headphone video demos.

Funny that you mention Worldwide Stereo since that is where I A/B'd with the PSB.  The PSB is heavier and bulkier, but still comfortable.  Clamping force is perfect- tight enough to stay on your head when walking around, but not so tight you feel like your head is in a vice (like the HD 380 or Klipsch M40).  I LOVE the PSB M4U2.  I have listened to several headphones in the $400 price range recently and they are the frontrunner for my next purchase with the exception of waiting to hear the V-Moda M-100 when it comes out.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the M4U2 outperformed the Amperior across the board.  Both highs and lows are further extended and mids have greater detail.  The M4U2 also handles higher volumes much more cleanly, particularly on bass heavy tracks.  Vocals at high volume actually warbled with the Amperior since the drivers were vibrating so much.  Their amplification and noise cancelling is an added bonus option since I did my comparison in passive mode.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #502 of 1,022
Here are some pictures for the people that requested specific closeups of the plugs. The red and black plugs at the top aren't standard 3.5mm plugs and look proprietary as they are flat. Currently burning them in as they sounded harsh out of the box.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #503 of 1,022
I know that I have been less than complimentary of the Amperior and, on balance, thought I should share a short list of headphones I auditioned recently where I feel the Amperior has a superior sound signature and would provide a more enjoyable listening experience for most genres.

I prefer the Amperior/ HD25 II over:

Aiaiai TMA-1  (much darker)
AMG K550    (thin sounding due to poor seal from oversized cups)
Ludacris Soul SL300  (muddy, not accurate, harsh at times)
Pioneer SE-MJ591  (has the best bass I ever heard on supra-aurals, but veiled highs)

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #506 of 1,022
Quote:
I think the K550 sounds great but it is not in the same class as the Amperior. The K550 is anything but portable.

Do you think the Amperior is a better sounding class phone or lesser sounding class phone the the K550?

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #507 of 1,022
Quote:
Here are some pictures for the people that requested specific closeups of the plugs. The red and black plugs at the top aren't standard 3.5mm plugs and look proprietary as they are flat. Currently burning them in as they sounded harsh out of the box.

Hey fileid

Thanks for the pic however these are the plugs I would like some detailed pics of not the 3.5 jack? Any chance of unplugging one and showing me what they are like?

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #508 of 1,022
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hd-25-and-hmd-26-cables

It's the same connector on the hd25. It's a custom spade plug and you can only get the replacement cable from sennheiser as far as I know. I hope that answers your question.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #509 of 1,022
Quote:
I don't have a previous HD 25 to compare with my new Amperiors, but I am really impressed with mine and have no regrets. Got them last Saturday at the Apple store in blue because they were out of silver, and once I opened the box at home and saw them I was so glad I got the blue instead. They look really beautful. 

As for their SQ, they sound so much better than any portable phones I've heard before. My main phones are the HD650s which I never tire of, so obviously I love the Sennheiser house sound, and these are no disapointment. They're refined and detailed and have plenty of tight base. I knew they were keepers within the first few minutes of listening to them.

I've been looking for a good set of portables for almost two years and feel no need to look any further. I'm wholly satisfied with the Amperior. It's a very peaceful feeling!

They look great too and are very comfortable. The Amperior will be my constant companion along with my iPad on my trip to Europe next month. So thrilled I was able to grab these before leaving. Worth every penny, IMHO!

What is the soundstage like on your new Amperiors? 

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #510 of 1,022
I'm betting that any full size headphone, that get some recognition here,  and similarly priced, will sound better than these amperiors.
You can't expect great sound, from tiny cups full of resonance. The amperior fix a bit the problem, notably by inserting some foam inside,  but I doubt this would be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back