Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #481 of 1,022
Quote:

They can't be both.

They are different (Hence the impedance) but they are tuned to sound the same. (Which makes complete sense considering the popularity of the HD25)

I'm sure that's what it is. I only wish they actually improved the drivers themselves, not made the headphone more sensitive, among other things.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #482 of 1,022
Quote:

The pair I tried is the original black HD25 version - mids are recessed compared to the HD800 and other balanced headphones. Tyll seem to rave over them as if they are a substantial upgrade over the HD25 and I wonder if he's just excited over a new toy.

Please see my previous posts in this forum.  The Amperior looks great, but sounds just like the HD25 II; not sure if there is a major difference compared to the original, but I believe they also use the same driver.  As this driver is about 20 years old, I think Sennheiser is really pushing the life cycle here.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #483 of 1,022
The pair I tried is the original black HD25 version - mids are recessed compared to the HD800 and other balanced headphones. Tyll seem to rave over them as if they are a substantial upgrade over the HD25 and I wonder if he's just excited over a new toy.

Comparing the Amperiors to the Hd25 I get. Comparing them to hd800s is just insane as they are 1/4 the price and sealed vs open.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #484 of 1,022
Quote:
Comparing the Amperiors to the Hd25 I get. Comparing them to hd800s is just insane as they are 1/4 the price and sealed vs open.

He meant,  that he has in mind what is supposed to be " neutral mids", but the hd800 are everything but neutral overall (bright).

Regarding the hd800 & amperior comparison, windsor played this weird game here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612250/headphone-comparison-sennheiser-hd-600-hd-700-hd-800-hd-25-1-and-the-amperior-audio-technica-ath-m50s-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-and-the-lcd-3

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #485 of 1,022
Could anybody post some pics of the plugs into the cups both connected and disconected? Are they standard Senn plugs?
Thanks in advance

Anybody?

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #488 of 1,022
Quote:
What made you decide to return them?

While the HD25 II is competitive with other $200 headphones, I felt that the Amperior was not worth $350 when comparing the sound to other headphones in that price range.  I'm not going to slam them- they are really good headphones that look amazing and are incredibly comfortable with a nice sound signature, but they are lacking detail in the mids and bass extension.  I A/B'd yesterday with the HD 25II Adidas and couldn't tell the difference between the two.  For all the fuss about the sonic resonance benefits of the aluminum earcups, I feel the benefit is more cosmetic.  I also A/B'd the Amperiors with lesser known PSBM4U2 in passive mode and sonically the PSB was superior throughout the range for about the same price.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #489 of 1,022
Quote:
 I felt that the Amperior was not worth $350 when comparing the sound to other headphones in that price range

yes !!!!! I'm sure similar comparisons could be done with other product of Sennheiser.
The typical fanboyism is driving price up. The higher the price, the bigger the expectations. But with buyer remorse, most of the time you find hard to admit that something is overpriced.
You've done a comparison, and the spell of hype has vanished.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #490 of 1,022
I don't have a previous HD 25 to compare with my new Amperiors, but I am really impressed with mine and have no regrets. Got them last Saturday at the Apple store in blue because they were out of silver, and once I opened the box at home and saw them I was so glad I got the blue instead. They look really beautful. 

As for their SQ, they sound so much better than any portable phones I've heard before. My main phones are the HD650s which I never tire of, so obviously I love the Sennheiser house sound, and these are no disapointment. They're refined and detailed and have plenty of tight base. I knew they were keepers within the first few minutes of listening to them.

I've been looking for a good set of portables for almost two years and feel no need to look any further. I'm wholly satisfied with the Amperior. It's a very peaceful feeling!

They look great too and are very comfortable. The Amperior will be my constant companion along with my iPad on my trip to Europe next month. So thrilled I was able to grab these before leaving. Worth every penny, IMHO!

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #491 of 1,022
Quote:
I don't have a previous HD 25 to compare with my new Amperiors, but I am really impressed with mine and have no regrets. Got them last Saturday at the Apple store in blue because they were out of silver, and once I opened the box at home and saw them I was so glad I got the blue instead. They look really beautful. 

As for their SQ, they sound so much better than any portable phones I've heard before. My main phones are the HD650s which I never tire of, so obviously I love the Sennheiser house sound, and these are no disapointment. They're refined and detailed and have plenty of tight base. I knew they were keepers within the first few minutes of listening to them.

I've been looking for a good set of portables for almost two years and feel no need to look any further. I'm wholly satisfied with the Amperior. It's a very peaceful feeling!

They look great too and are very comfortable. The Amperior will be my constant companion along with my iPad on my trip to Europe next month. So thrilled I was able to grab these before leaving. Worth every penny, IMHO!

Sounds like you have taken to portables just as I have. I love my home gear, but I never thought I'd be getting into the portable thing so much. I use my Beyer DT1350s constantly, which is the main reason I want to look into the Amperiors. I want a pair I can leave at work and have excellent sound quality, and Tyll pretty much sold me on these new Senns. Seems like the reviews are mixed early on, though, which I'm really disappointed by. Tyll seemed to tone down his enthusiasm when he updated his hall of fame thread compared to how much he was raving about them in the Amperior review from March. I wouldn't be unhappy if the Amperiors are "just as good" as the Beyers, because I love the hell out of the Beyers, but I was really hoping for an upgrade since they are more pricey. The HD-25s will fit the bill temporarily, though, and then I'll go from there. 

But I'm totally with you about how great it is to have high quality portables to take with you on the road...it's very satisfying to be able to just plug in to your iDevice and have fantastic audio. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #492 of 1,022
I think the main issue is that they aren't really intended to be a $150 more expensive headphone than the HD25. The MSRP is only $50 different between them and the HD25, the problem is that the only retailer currently selling the Amperior is Apple who always charge MSRP. (Because people will pay it in their stores)

Once you see the Amperior on Amazon.com and other places for like $275ish it will be an item definitely worth the price. They are a good pair of portable headphones and they feel very comfortable which is not a common trait for headphones of their type but it is hard to justify them at $350. 

Supposedly Apple has a 60 day exclusive deal. (Sennheiser already lists Best Buy and other retailers as authorized resale partners on their website for the Amperior)

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #493 of 1,022
I

Supposedly Apple has a 60 day exclusive deal.

More like exclusive gouge. These are listed In the Apple store Australia at $549 and the Aussie $ is parity with the US$... Feel our pain and go figure?

As soon as I see these listed anywhere else in the world online like Bestbuy, Amazon I will buy a pair.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #495 of 1,022
Quote:
More like exclusive gouge. These are listed In the Apple store Australia at $549 and the Aussie $ is parity with the US$... Feel our pain and go figure?

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back