Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #346 of 1,022
Quote:
I got these headphones yesterday.  Here's my review: I like them.  Thanks, Tyll!
Styling isn't the greatest so my hunt hasn't ended for on-the-go music, but for now they're great.  All the wires sticking out everywhere looks a bit odd.

The only better looking on ears I have seen are the M-80s IMO.

(I did really like the M-80s when I had them)

EDIT: And I think the ESW10s look great too.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #347 of 1,022
Quote:

I haven't heard the P3, but I love the sound of the Amperior - I prefer its sound to that of some of Sennheiser's full-size HD series headphones. Like the HD 25-1 I had the Amperior is a very well constructed, solidly-built headphone. Another Sennheiser plus-point IMO is that all parts are user-replaceable. 

I think the Amperior is well worth the money considering its quality and how long it's likely to last.

Even over my 700s and your 800s? 
etysmile.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #348 of 1,022
Quote:
I got these headphones yesterday.  Here's my review: I like them.  Thanks, Tyll!
Styling isn't the greatest so my hunt hasn't ended for on-the-go music, but for now they're great.  All the wires sticking out everywhere looks a bit odd.

Can you elaborate regarding what you like about them?  How do they sound with different types of music?  How is the bass punch and extension?

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #349 of 1,022
Quote:
Even over my 700s and your 800s? 
etysmile.gif

For walking around outside, I'd definitely opt for the Amperior. :)

I even prefer the Amperior over the LCD-3 for some things. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #350 of 1,022
Quote:

I didn't like the flimsy feeling lower cable that came with the Amperiors so I replaced it with the lower half from my Shure SE530s. The Shure cable is closer in thickness to the top half of the Amperior cable and has a straight minijack plug which I personally prefer to the right angle plug the Amperior cable had. (I know a lot of people like right angle plugs, I myself just tend to prefer straight plugs) The Shure cable is also a little bit shorter which I thought was nice.

Found this site in UK, Custom-Cans, a DJ headphone site (not to be confused with Custom-Cables)... looks like they've got everything I need to do a couple of slight mods to the ever improving Amperior's... got a nice Cardas cable on there with a Kevlar outta casing (have to get a cable wrap for that), also pleather-pads.

Had these on out & about today and got a few taps on the shoulder asking what they were (christ, that does make you jump out of your skin when they tap you on the shoulder from behind, glad I did me ablutions before I set off), which was kinda nice in a weird way... another slight worry that I never realised is that the cups come off pretty easily with a tug, , I'll be handling two-handed from now on when I'm out, I may even get a small hole drilled into the end of the extender and get a grommet thingy fitted to stop that happening... if these were HD25's I can see the reasoning but these are meant to be for the consumer-market, so you'd expect things to be slightly different... perhaps I'm being picky.

Custom-Cans:-

http://www.customcans.co.uk/

http://www.customcans.co.uk/index.html

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #351 of 1,022
Quote:
Can you elaborate regarding what you like about them?  How do they sound with different types of music?  How is the bass punch and extension?

Craigster... just buy the things you really won't be disappointed... I'm real impressed, things have really tightened up after 50hours... bass is deep and becoming more and more defined.... hi's have finally broken out & I'm hearing the little details now.

I kinda envy Windsor his must be burnt-in by now... from thinking seriously of selling these the day after I bought them, I'm now thinking do I even have to audition other headphones (I will because it's arranged)... yes I'm now thrilled with my purchase.

If you have a Euro volume-capped DAP these could be a boon... they go real loud with my Euro WM-X so much so, I have to peg it back to around 90%... with my Japanese WM-Z they really rock but you can't have it on max for too long (absolutely no distortion, that was a surprise seeing how powerful the S-MX amp is in the Sony), pegging it to around 75% is more than enough for normal outside use.

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #352 of 1,022
Quote:

I like that they sound great and are comfortable.  Bass impact is satisfying.  I find anything else in terms of, what I consider, flowery descriptions to be unnecessary.  

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #353 of 1,022
Quote:

Craigster... just buy the things you really won't be disappointed... I'm real impressed, things have really tightened up after 50hours... bass is deep and becoming more and more defined.... hi's have finally broken out & I'm hearing the little details now.

I kinda envy Windsor his must be burnt-in by now... from thinking seriously of selling these the day after I bought them, I'm now thinking do I even have to audition other headphones (I will because it's arranged)... yes I'm now thrilled with my purchase.

If you have a Euro volume-capped DAP these could be a boon... they go real loud with my Euro WM-X so much so, I have to peg it back to around 90%... with my Japanese WM-Z they really rock but you can't have it on max for too long (absolutely no distortion, that was a surprise seeing how powerful the S-MX amp is in the Sony), pegging it to around 75% is more than enough for normal outside use.

I will need to try before I buy as soon as they are available at Apple stores in the states around 6/20, but I am more encouraged by your improving feedback with burn-in and will take that into account when I audition a fresh pair and hope they are the dogs bollocks (I have no idea what that means, but I think it is positive and I like the way it sounds).

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #354 of 1,022
Quote:
I will need to try before I buy as soon as they are available at Apple stores in the states around 6/20, but I am more encouraged by your improving feedback with burn-in and will take that into account when I audition a fresh pair and hope they are the dogs bollocks (I have no idea what that means, but I think it is positive and I like the way it sounds).

first up... bollox = bollocks

two links to help people understand the terminology on how to use the word 'bollocks' either on its own or in conjunction with other words like 'dogs' (dogs bollocks can also be used as just 'the dogs' but this is more localised slang pertaining to London'ers (cockneys, unfortunately I'm one).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dogs%20bollocks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollocks

one of the all time great descriptive words of the English language is the word 'bollocks'... some may think this is 'a load of bollocks'... on hearing that others may say 'bollocks to that, it's a fine word indeed'... but if you really liked the word 'bollocks' you would say 'it's the dogs-bollocks of a word'.

it's a great descriptive word imho

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #355 of 1,022
Quote:

two links to help people understand the terminology on how to use the word 'bollocks' either on its own or in conjunction with other words like 'dogs' (dogs bollocks can also be used as just 'the dogs' but this is more localised slang pertaining to London'ers (cockneys, unfortunately I'm one).

one of the all time great descriptive words of the English language is the word 'bollocks'... some may think this is 'a load of bollocks'... on hearing that others may say 'bollocks to that, it's a fine word indeed'... but if you really liked the word 'bollocks' you would say 'it's the dogs-bollocks of a word'.

Learning is fun. I was gonna ask you what you meant earlier with your ablutions, as I just read a book called "Ablutions" and didn't understand how the usage in the book pertained to the way you used it, but a quick Google cleared it up. You crazy people and your crazy words. :]

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #356 of 1,022
Quote:

LOL- getting a much needed education on English from the other side of the pond.  It is interesting that words like football and hamburger can have such different meanings in America.  I was introduced to the word "bollocks' in Shawn of the Dead, but first heard dogs bollocks on Head-Fi.  If I ever go to England and feel compelled to use the expression, I will take care to use in the proper situation.  For example, I wouldn't go to a pub where a rugby team was blowing off steam from a loss and address anyone there as dogs-bollocks face.  If there are any question regarding American expressions or peculiarities where you might have curiosity, feel free to ask.  I hope you don't find this crude, but please excuse me while I pinch a loaf since I am groundhogging.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #357 of 1,022
the last two post made me laugh, I'll try & reply after the Footie if not tomorrow, this could go a lil off-topic but hey I'll add a little on the Amp's
beerchug.gif

never done a 'flowery' description before, maybe I should make an effort and try..... best not say these Amperior's are 'blooming' nicely
wink_face.gif

think I'll leave the thread with a lil more groundhoggin (aint got a clue about the 'pinching the loaf' malarkey but I'm innocent, honest)... I can just see me in the States going into say a shoe-shop & seeing a nice pair of 'Sebago Penny-Loafers' and looking at the shop-assistant saying 'wow, they're the dogs-bollocks'... they would look  real gormlessly at me and say 'pardon'.. I'd then say 'you know.. the mutts-nuts'... yet another gormless look followed by a brief 'What are you on about' silence... at this point I'd either go for the put-down 'you ain't got a clue, have you' look, or be more forgiving and say 'sorry I'm English, I'll say it in a way you can understand 'they look most excellent'... (& yes I've travelled over there, great folks, real friendly)

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #358 of 1,022
Quote:
the last two post made me laugh, I'll try & reply after the Footie if not tomorrow, this could go a lil off-topic but hey I'll add a little on the Amp's
beerchug.gif

never done a 'flowery' description before, maybe I should make an effort and try..... best not say these Amperior's are 'blooming' nicely
wink_face.gif

think I'll leave the thread with a lil more groundhoggin (aint got a clue about the 'pinching the loaf' malarkey but I'm innocent, honest)... I can just see me in the States going into say a shoe-shop & seeing a nice pair of 'Sebago Penny-Loafers' and looking at the shop-assistant saying 'wow, they're the dogs-bollocks'... they would look  real gormlessly at me and say 'pardon'.. I'd then say 'you know.. the mutts-nuts'... yet another gormless look followed by a brief 'What are you on about' silence... at this point I'd either go for the put-down 'you ain't got a clue, have you' look, or be more forgiving and say 'sorry I'm English, I'll say it in a way you can understand 'they look most excellent'... (& yes I've travelled over there, great folks, real friendly)

If you are English in America you can  say or do anything and we still love you- look at Russel Brand!

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #359 of 1,022
Quote:
If you are English in America you can  say or do anything and we still love you- look at Russel Brand!

Yeah, unfortunately he's very quickly going from the "Haha that guy is odd and weird, I like him!" to "OK I think I've seen enough of him ..."

On topic: The HD-25 II have been on my list forever. Are these that different from them? I mean, are these just a better version? If someone has already touched up on this, could I get some linkage?

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #360 of 1,022
Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately he's very quickly going from the "Haha that guy is odd and weird, I like him!" to "OK I think I've seen enough of him ..."

On topic: The HD-25 II have been on my list forever. Are these that different from them? I mean, are these just a better version? If someone has already touched up on this, could I get some linkage?

I was just thinking that I can't wait to read more impressions between the HD25 vs Amperior. I would imagine the Amperior sounds a notch or two more refined, but not $150 better than the HD25. Of course, I could be wrong. Then again, I would've hoped there would've been an improvement in soundstage/imaging also (this is also a new driver afterall) but that doesn't seem to be the case (that IMO, would have warranted the extra dough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back