Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #316 of 1,022
You cannot blame sennheiser for the date changing from the 16th to the 19th. Its very obvious that local stores are not yet stocking the amperior and they only receive them once you have ordered one and chosen in store pickup.

If you ordered yesterday it would be ready for pickup the 16th. (Since it would have been delivered to the store on Friday the 15th) If you order today the 19th. Makes sense since deliveries don't happen via ups on Saturday or Sunday.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #317 of 1,022
ok had the Amperior's on continuous burn-in for approx 11hours my WM-X & had a few little listens along the way... well I've unplugged my lil slave and connected up the WM-Z (I'll treat myself to the WM-X tomorrow when I A & B them)... firstly to cover a bit of old ground, I've been searching for a headphone for over 4-months and nothing has really met what I'm looking for in a 'portable-headphone' to match the WM-Z. The WM-Z has a massive soundstage, a very detailed sound quality and is very neutral (obviously this is to my ears).

for the technically minded all my music is uploaded from CD, SACD & MasterSound Gold-Disc into Atrac Advance Lossless 352kbps... take the following as a 'pinch of salt' because I ain't got a clue how long these will take to burn-in (any HD25 owners out there?)... ok everything is set to my favourite setting, meaning no equalization & only using the stock player, which I kinda love for it's neutral sound...

first-up is Teddy Pendergrass - The Whole Town's Laughing At Me (Love TKO CD)... first thing I notice is the opening thump, thump, thump bass drum, it's deep, Ted's voice is there by the bucket load even the warbles are showing in great detail & the mids are detailed, no make that very detailed, the hi's are struggling, they're recessed but they are there... the bass is deep but there's a cloudiness over it... nice laid-back sound for this track... there's hope for my old soul music by the looks.

next up is Pete Alderton - I'm Sad (Living on Love CD)... the first strum then twang of the guitar you just know this is going to be good, Alderton's in rich vocal form on this track, his voice is airy and has plenty of subtlety for this tune, the guitar playing is detailed & enormously enjoyable to my ears... this track really is making me think, I like these cans... a lot.

ok lets go a bit left-field, next on is The Cure - Fascination Street (Disintegration Remaster-CD)... oh my, my first real disappointment the bass & low mids are real muddied, the hi's are almost ear-achingly bad even the mids are struggling to get through, perhaps not the best track to audition a new pair of cans to but this is one of my fave albums... must admit 'Homesick' sounded pretty good, full of depth and detail... can't believe I'm listening to the same album, these cans are at present, an enigma.

ok lets see how these handle my favourite 'live' album, The Allman Brothers - Mountain Jam (At Filmore East 2CD Deluxe Edition), I know this track inside out and have been in love with it since the 70's (I'm not ready for incontinence-pants so please don't think I'm a old-fart)... from the opening bars of Duane's guitar I already know that there is real synergy between the WM-Z & the Amperior.... this is by far the best I've heard this track on any portable device... I'm into the dual drummer solo now, this is detailed, punchy and the hi's appear to be opening up, this is monitor-staringly good (in other words I'm enjoying the music instead of typing)... the bass solo with the drums is immense I kid you not.... this band is to tight and the guitar playing is simply divine and the power & dynamics of what I'm hearing is... no this is the 'dogs', I'm loving every note... ohh my Duane's slide guitar playing, christ I'd loved to of seen this guy 'live', absolutely immense I kid you not - 10/10 for this track.... can't wait till these cans are burnt-in & have opened up.

at the moment I'm happy, not 'over the moon' but I'm happy with what I'm hearing... more tomorrow.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #318 of 1,022
I ordered yesterday and was given a delivery date of the 16th. Going to the Apple order status website gives me now a delivery date of the 20th. Out of curiosity I checked back at the Apple store I can have it delivered to my house on the 18th or pick up at the local apple store on the 19th. Time to call customer service.
Quote:
You cannot blame sennheiser for the date changing from the 16th to the 19th. Its very obvious that local stores are not yet stocking the amperior and they only receive them once you have ordered one and chosen in store pickup.
If you ordered yesterday it would be ready for pickup the 16th. (Since it would have been delivered to the store on Friday the 15th) If you order today the 19th. Makes sense since deliveries don't happen via ups on Saturday or Sunday.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #319 of 1,022
Quote:
I ordered yesterday and was given a delivery date of the 16th. Going to the Apple order status website gives me now a delivery date of the 20th. Out of curiosity I checked back at the Apple store I can have it delivered to my house on the 18th or pick up at the local apple store on the 19th. Time to call customer service.

You will be able to have it shipped to your house a day earlier than the store simply because the store does not know what time in the day it will be delivered so they set the pickup date for the following day.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #323 of 1,022
Quote:
ok had the Amperior's on continuous burn-in for approx 11hours my WM-X & had a few little listens along the way... well I've unplugged my lil slave and connected up the WM-Z (I'll treat myself to the WM-X tomorrow when I A & B them)... firstly to cover a bit of old ground, I've been searching for a headphone for over 4-months and nothing has really met what I'm looking for in a 'portable-headphone' to match the WM-Z. The WM-Z has a massive soundstage, a very detailed sound quality and is very neutral (obviously this is to my ears).

for the technically minded all my music is uploaded from CD, SACD & MasterSound Gold-Disc into Atrac Advance Lossless 352kbps... take the following as a 'pinch of salt' because I ain't got a clue how long these will take to burn-in (any HD25 owners out there?)... ok everything is set to my favourite setting, meaning no equalization & only using the stock player, which I kinda love for it's neutral sound...

first-up is Teddy Pendergrass - The Whole Town's Laughing At Me (Love TKO CD)... first thing I notice is the opening thump, thump, thump bass drum, it's deep, Ted's voice is there by the bucket load even the warbles are showing in great detail & the mids are detailed, no make that very detailed, the hi's are struggling, they're recessed but they are there... the bass is deep but there's a cloudiness over it... nice laid-back sound for this track... there's hope for my old soul music by the looks.

next up is Pete Alderton - I'm Sad (Living on Love CD)... the first strum then twang of the guitar you just know this is going to be good, Alderton's in rich vocal form on this track, his voice is airy and has plenty of subtlety for this tune, the guitar playing is detailed & enormously enjoyable to my ears... this track really is making me think, I like these cans... a lot.

ok lets go a bit left-field, next on is The Cure - Fascination Street (Disintegration Remaster-CD)... oh my, my first real disappointment the bass & low mids are real muddied, the hi's are almost ear-achingly bad even the mids are struggling to get through, perhaps not the best track to audition a new pair of cans to but this is one of my fave albums... must admit 'Homesick' sounded pretty good, full of depth and detail... can't believe I'm listening to the same album, these cans are at present, an enigma.

ok lets see how these handle my favourite 'live' album, The Allman Brothers - Mountain Jam (At Filmore East 2CD Deluxe Edition), I know this track inside out and have been in love with it since the 70's (I'm not ready for incontinence-pants so please don't think I'm a old-fart)... from the opening bars of Duane's guitar I already know that there is real synergy between the WM-Z & the Amperior.... this is by far the best I've heard this track on any portable device... I'm into the dual drummer solo now, this is detailed, punchy and the hi's appear to be opening up, this is monitor-staringly good (in other words I'm enjoying the music instead of typing)... the bass solo with the drums is immense I kid you not.... this band is to tight and the guitar playing is simply divine and the power & dynamics of what I'm hearing is... no this is the 'dogs', I'm loving every note... ohh my Duane's slide guitar playing, christ I'd loved to of seen this guy 'live', absolutely immense I kid you not - 10/10 for this track.... can't wait till these cans are burnt-in & have opened up.

at the moment I'm happy, not 'over the moon' but I'm happy with what I'm hearing... more tomorrow.

As I am sometimes an audiophile, like when listening to Bread, Rush and Jewel; and sometimes a basshead when listening to Pitbull, Black Eyed Peas and Jay-Z, how would you describe the bass extension in terms of depth and punch compared to other "basshead" headphones?

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #324 of 1,022
Hi All,

First post so go easy on the newb, only just came accross head-fi.org but I've got to say I'm loving reading the forums. 

So last month I went out and bought the B&W P5's partly down to them being so god damn sexy, but after a week I just didn't think they gave me what I needed sonically from my earphones.  Having returned them I noticed the P3's were coming out and What Hi-Fi gave them the most stonking review so I was litterally waiting on the UK June 18th release date.

Then I stumbled accross the posts on the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's which really had me wondering if they were right for me.  However I travel on business a lot (planes) so I would only be listening to my iPhone 4S, and I really wanted a phone cable for taking calls on the go.  So along come the Amperiors (what is with that name btw!), and whoa I think they might actually what I've been looking for.  I have checked out Tyll's review and videos at Innerfidelity along with some of the CES 2012 and I'm pretty much sold.

However tinyman392 did a review of the P3's ala http://www.ifans.com/blog/49977/ and they do well.  My biggest issue is...

I reckon the Amperiors might well sound better
The B&W's wipe the floor on looks
£80 difference in price!!!

I'm going to go test the P3's when they come out, but was wondering if you can justify the lesser styling and bigger price tag for a noticeably better sound!!

Cheers,

D

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #325 of 1,022
Quote:
As I am sometimes an audiophile, like when listening to Bread, Rush and Jewel; and sometimes a basshead when listening to Pitbull, Black Eyed Peas and Jay-Z, how would you describe the bass extension in terms of depth and punch compared to other "basshead" headphones?

Craigster... I've copied this over from the WM-Z thread (link below, I'll be posting there first with my findings)... the bass is there and it's deep when called on but there's a 'but'... I've got about 25hrs burn-in on the Amp's and there's a couple of niggling worries, one is bass definition, it's cloudy & muddied on 50% of tracks and still lacks any real definition across the board... the second concern is the hi's or lack of, I can hear them in the background but they are clearly recessed and annoyingly sibilant at times... the mids are fantastic, detailed & full bodied and a real joy... at present I am happy'ish with my purchase and if they burn-in as I hope (the bass & hi's issues sorted).... another annoyance is the split cable, I can't help but wonder if this is the problem... at one end it's substantial (headphone end), the source end it's flimsy and a tad too long (the IPod cable is the same but with phone controls), it appears this has been changed from the original photo's I saw.... I'm in touch with Cardas over a replacement cable.... and in truth, I'll be testing these against 2-3 others in two-weeks time... that said I am really enjoying the Amp's for 85% of the time, it's just the minor niggles.

my WM-Z post... reads a bit odd at first as I'm replying to someone...

I'll check your recommendations out on Spotify, cheers for that.... 60/70's soul is a great love of mine, Stax, Tamla plus The Dells, Delfonics, Dorothy Moore, Chi-lites, Harold Melvin etc etc

Got a real love of rock music old & new... love acoustic blues, contemporary-folk, jam-band and mountain jam-bands.... also have a great feel for music from my parents generation... house always had music on back then, think that's why my music taste is wide... that said I'm not a lover of rap, hip-hop or that crap synthesized voiced dance music that seems to fill the airwaves, makes me think I was brought up during the golden age of music, when you needed talent to make it.... I'm digressing...

back to the Amperiors.... not changed so radically today, the mids are a massive strong point with these, real nice.... bass is still lacking real definition still stifled and cloudy but it's deep... hi's are really struggling to come to the fore... hmmm... nice sound though and definitely the best on-ear headphones I've owned.... gonna try and get 200hrs on these in the next two weeks as I'm loaning my WM-Z to a hi-fi dealer for a week (they've got an event on, thought I'd let him show iPod users what they're missing out on), in return they're going to get in Beyer DT1350's & Audio-Technica ES10 for me to compare (they might be able to sneak me a listen to B&W's new P3).... this was always going to be on the cards when I got my Amp's... I'm also thinking of amping the WM-Z with the ALO RX3 (I'm in discussions with them over that one on compatibility & the dreaded hiss question, which I really can't tolerate any more).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review/1995#post_8459261

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #326 of 1,022
Quote:
Hi All,

First post so go easy on the newb, only just came accross head-fi.org but I've got to say I'm loving reading the forums. 

So last month I went out and bought the B&W P5's partly down to them being so god damn sexy, but after a week I just didn't think they gave me what I needed sonically from my earphones.  Having returned them I noticed the P3's were coming out and What Hi-Fi gave them the most stonking review so I was litterally waiting on the UK June 18th release date.

Then I stumbled accross the posts on the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's which really had me wondering if they were right for me.  However I travel on business a lot (planes) so I would only be listening to my iPhone 4S, and I really wanted a phone cable for taking calls on the go.  So along come the Amperiors (what is with that name btw!), and whoa I think they might actually what I've been looking for.  I have checked out Tyll's review and videos at Innerfidelity along with some of the CES 2012 and I'm pretty much sold.

However tinyman392 did a review of the P3's ala http://www.ifans.com/blog/49977/ and they do well.  My biggest issue is...

I reckon the Amperiors might well sound better
The B&W's wipe the floor on looks
£80 difference in price!!!

I'm going to go test the P3's when they come out, but was wondering if you can justify the lesser styling and bigger price tag for a noticeably better sound!!

Cheers,

D

Hi Dave and welcome to Head-Fi, hope your wallets large
bigsmile_face.gif

for me it's always sound-quality over style... these Amp's may look 'traditional' but they are real stylish in the hand (look a lot better than the photo's imo)... in Silver they look classy & conservative... in Blue they're also classy looking but will get you noticed a lot more.

if you are considering both the Amperior & P3 headphones I would also check out the Beyerdynamic DT1350's and both the Audio Techniica ATH-ESW9 & ATH-ES10 though you may need to amp the iPod... the amp in the WM-Z is extremely powerful & detailed and drives the Amperior's with absolute ease. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #327 of 1,022
Quote:

Craigster... I've copied this over from the WM-Z thread (link below, I'll be posting there first with my findings)... the bass is there and it's deep when called on but there's a 'but'... I've got about 25hrs burn-in on the Amp's and there's a couple of niggling worries, one is bass definition, it's cloudy & muddied on 50% of tracks and still lacks any real definition across the board... the second concern is the hi's or lack of, I can hear them in the background but they are clearly recessed and annoyingly sibilant at times... the mids are fantastic, detailed & full bodied and a real joy... at present I am happy'ish with my purchase and if they burn-in as I hope (the bass & hi's issues sorted).... another annoyance is the split cable, I can't help but wonder if this is the problem... at one end it's substantial (headphone end), the source end it's flimsy and a tad too long (the IPod cable is the same but with phone controls), it appears this has been changed from the original photo's I saw.... I'm in touch with Cardas over a replacement cable.... and in truth, I'll be testing these against 2-3 others in two-weeks time... that said I am really enjoying the Amp's for 85% of the time, it's just the minor niggles.

my WM-Z post... reads a bit odd at first as I'm replying to someone...

I'll check your recommendations out on Spotify, cheers for that.... 60/70's soul is a great love of mine, Stax, Tamla plus The Dells, Delfonics, Dorothy Moore, Chi-lites, Harold Melvin etc etc

Got a real love of rock music old & new... love acoustic blues, contemporary-folk, jam-band and mountain jam-bands.... also have a great feel for music from my parents generation... house always had music on back then, think that's why my music taste is wide... that said I'm not a lover of rap, hip-hop or that crap synthesized voiced dance music that seems to fill the airwaves, makes me think I was brought up during the golden age of music, when you needed talent to make it.... I'm digressing...

back to the Amperiors.... not changed so radically today, the mids are a massive strong point with these, real nice.... bass is still lacking real definition still stifled and cloudy but it's deep... hi's are really struggling to come to the fore... hmmm... nice sound though and definitely the best on-ear headphones I've owned.... gonna try and get 200hrs on these in the next two weeks as I'm loaning my WM-Z to a hi-fi dealer for a week (they've got an event on, thought I'd let him show iPod users what they're missing out on), in return they're going to get in Beyer DT1350's & Audio-Technica ES10 for me to compare (they might be able to sneak me a listen to B&W's new P3).... this was always going to be on the cards when I got my Amp's... I'm also thinking of amping the WM-Z with the ALO RX3 (I'm in discussions with them over that one on compatibility & the dreaded hiss question, which I really can't tolerate any more).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review/1995#post_8459261

Thanks OK-Guy.  Based on what I am hearing, these headphones would be great for 70's music like James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, The Carpenters and Carly Simon which makes sense since that is around the time the drivers in the Amperior were designed :)  I will still look to audition these at the Apple store, but will be waiting for the V-Moda M-100 which I am anticipating will more closely meet my needs.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #330 of 1,022
Quote:
OK-GUY,
I'd love to hear your impression of those three you mentioned, the Amperior, 1350 and ES-10 as wellas the esw9 if you have heard that, and how they compare to one another.

I most definitely will... bear in mind that the test will be done with a WM-Z with no external amplification, I'll try and get the dealer/owner to say what he thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back