Sennheiser Amperiors?
Nov 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #691 of 1,022
Nov 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #692 of 1,022
Quote:
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
good post. I have taken my Amperiors back mainly due to the clamping pain on my ears. They do I improve after 24 hours a lot.
I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD558 for £80 in the Xmas sale at HMV. love them too.

Wow...the 1350s def have more clamping power compared to the set of Amperiors I returned.  However, this can easily be reduced by some slight bending out until you get the right fit.  Took me about 10min to get them set and I was good to go.  Enjoy your 558s...don't rule out the 1350s just yet....they are a wonderful set of cans and in my view head and shoulders above the Amperiors, especially when you factor in the cost. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #693 of 1,022
Hi,
I'm new here. I currently own a Klipsch Image One wich I want to replace by the Amperior, the Momentum or the well known HD 25-1 II. It will be driven by a Audioengine D1 DAC + Headphone Amp. While travelling, I'll be using a iPhone 5.
I've read a lot about these 3 headphones (mostly on head-fi). One frequent discussion is about the pricetag of the Amperior compared to the HD 25-1 II in terms of soundquality. But I was wondering why the difference in impedance isn't mentioned more often in these discussions (18 vs 65 ohms)? It seems a huge difference between the two. Am I wrong if saying that the Amperior will be driven far more easily by the iPhone 5 than the HD 25-1 II (unamped)?
Thanks. (Sorry for my English, it isn't my native language)

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #694 of 1,022
Quote:
 But I was wondering why the difference in impedance isn't mentioned more often in these discussions (18 vs 65 ohms)? It seems a huge difference between the two. Am I wrong if saying that the Amperior will be driven far more easily by the iPhone 5 than the HD 25-1 II (unamped)?

It's commonly admitted that the hd25 are not hard to drive.
There are few people that think that amping is always a good thing,they'll recommend an amp for the amperior too.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #695 of 1,022
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new here. I currently own a Klipsch Image One wich I want to replace by the Amperior, the Momentum or the well known HD 25-1 II. It will be driven by a Audioengine D1 DAC + Headphone Amp. While travelling, I'll be using a iPhone 5.
I've read a lot about these 3 headphones (mostly on head-fi). One frequent discussion is about the pricetag of the Amperior compared to the HD 25-1 II in terms of soundquality. But I was wondering why the difference in impedance isn't mentioned more often in these discussions (18 vs 65 ohms)? It seems a huge difference between the two. Am I wrong if saying that the Amperior will be driven far more easily by the iPhone 5 than the HD 25-1 II (unamped)?
Thanks. (Sorry for my English, it isn't my native language)

You may also want to consider the V-Moda M-100 which is easy to drive.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #696 of 1,022
Thanks. But does that mean that there's hardly any difference between the two when driven by an iPhone 5? Will the volume be lower when using the HD 25?
When listening at the Apple Store I noticed that the Momentum had a lower maximum volume then the Amperior (both 18 ohms). Is this normal? I didn't checked if the equalizer was turned on. I think I will go back for another comparison.

@ Craigster75. Thanks for your advice. Do you have experience with both (M-100 and Amperior)? I've read good things about the M-100.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #697 of 1,022
Quote:
Thanks. But does that mean that there's hardly any difference between the two when driven by an iPhone 5? Will the volume be lower when using the HD 25?
When listening at the Apple Store I noticed that the Momentum had a lower maximum volume then the Amperior (both 18 ohms). Is this normal? I didn't checked if the equalizer was turned on. I think I will go back for another comparison.

@ Craigster75. Thanks for your advice. Do you have experience with both (M-100 and Amperior)? I've read good things about the M-100.

I have had both the Amp and the HD25. The Amperior is easier to drive, but it's not much of an issue out of the IP5. I listen at perhaps 65% volume with the HD25 and 50% with the Amperior (Spotify). I preferred the HD25 as they significantly lighter with the plastic cups. The IP controls are of no use to me as I simply talk into the LO-end of the phone during calls. :wink:

I think I have a decent ear and thought they were equal in SQ. The Amperior actually sounds worse at low-volume out of my Apogee Duet (noise floor).

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #698 of 1,022
Thank you very much for your advice, Devgru! Did your HD 25 had a (stock) steel cable? Or did you replaced it by a copper one?
I think I'll buy the HD 25-1 II then. It costs roughly the half of the Amperior/Momentum (basic edition). Although I like the looks of the Momentum, I found it to be more 'flat' compared to the Amperior. Maybe I should go and listen to them one more time :wink: .
Thanks again. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #699 of 1,022
I've used the HD600 cable as well as the entry level SAA cable. I discern no real SQ difference between the stock cable and the alternatives. The durability of the steel (copper core) cable is great. I haven't listened to the Momentum, but I wouldn't use those as portables.

Just to reiterate; the HD25 is quite a bit lighter than the Amperior. I liked the high-sensitivity for portable use, but the HD25 runs great out of my IP5. Aesthetically, I prefer the black cups.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #700 of 1,022
Quote:

Yes, I do.  Long story short, I owned Amperior for a few week and returned them.  Conversely, I will own and use the M-100 for life.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #701 of 1,022
The Amperiors are a great long term investment.  Even with glasses I've found the Amperior to actually be quite comfortable.  Personally I think I would go for the more expensive Amperiors over the HD-25 if only for the very nice aluminum cups.  Can't say I've had an issue with the weight at all.  I personally like the heft for this set.  My only complaint is the headband adjustment.  The cups tend to slide rather easily in some cases.  

So while they might not sound 100 dollars better than the HD-25s they are still something to consider.  

Also I drive my pair straight out of my Zen.  Sounds d*mn fine. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #702 of 1,022
Quote:
The Amperiors are a great long term investment.  Even with glasses I've found the Amperior to actually be quite comfortable.  Personally I think I would go for the more expensive Amperiors over the HD-25 if only for the very nice aluminum cups.  Can't say I've had an issue with the weight at all.  I personally like the heft for this set.  My only complaint is the headband adjustment.  The cups tend to slide rather easily in some cases.  

So while they might not sound 100 dollars better than the HD-25s they are still something to consider.  

Also I drive my pair straight out of my Zen.  Sounds d*mn fine. 

They do have a decent sound, but if you A/B next to some others in their price range like the M-100 or PSB M4U1 or 2, IMO, they are outclassed.  I feel the Amperior is overpriced and should cost no more than $250 based on the sonic similarity with its plastic-cupped cousin, the HD-25.  In constrast, I feel the M-100 would be a reasonable value at up to $200 more than its price point.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #703 of 1,022
Quote:
They do have a decent sound, but if you A/B next to some others in their price range like the M-100 or PSB M4U1 or 2, IMO, they are outclassed.  I feel the Amperior is overpriced and should cost no more than $250 based on the sonic similarity with its plastic-cupped cousin, the HD-25.  In constrast, I feel the M-100 would be a reasonable value at up to $200 more than its price point.

Is it really right to compare the M-100 which are over ears to the HD-25/Amp which are on ear?  I've learned that in quite a few cases comparing headphones by price isn't always the right thing to do.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #704 of 1,022
Quote:

Is it really right to compare the M-100 which are over ears to the HD-25/Amp which are on ear?  I've learned that in quite a few cases comparing headphones by price isn't always the right thing to do.

IMO, price is a fairer comparison as an alternative to supra-aural vs. circumaural as both types of headphones are assigned the same task of effectively reproducing sound.  If you are saying that the M-100 has a sonic advantage by virtue of being circumaural, that would indicate support of my opinion that the M-100 is a sonically superior headphone.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #705 of 1,022
Some great posts. And interesting views and experiences.

Sometimes what a headphone is worth is not always about audio quality but brand, image and convienance. The Amperiors had some sound improvements over the HD25 but I agree not £100 worth. But the Amperiors do look excellent but more importantly have the iPhone controls. Although they were not as flash looking as the iPhone controls on the Momentums.

Talking about the Momentums I had a listen of those to see whether I would change the Amperiors for them. The Momentums really look the business with their carry case and metal looking iPod controls and headphone jack. Sadly I had thought from the photo they were over the ear but alas they were also on the ear. The appeared more comfy but the sound quality was IMO very inferior to the Amperiors.

Now with the HD558 which I got for an amazing price and pre burnt in, these sound glorious from my iPhone and even more mind blowing from my tube amp. I absolutely adore the sound. More than my Beyer DT880 (which I just sold on here) . The only issue with the 558 is the headphone jack is large size by default so when you connect the converter to 3.5mm you are left with a large barrel shape coming out of the iPhone. Not ideal.

I would love to try the Beyer DT1350 and M-100. Just have the problem of finding a place the stocks them. This is always a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back