Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #751 of 1,054
hi all i recently got a used pair of amperiors and they are fantastic, i have not heard such clarity while have such tight and forward bass: however theres a few quibbles i'm curious about, and if anyone can help me with it that would be great!

1) i can see on the graph and my ears do tell me that it doesn't go all the way down there in terms of bass. this kinda bothers me because i like my subbass =( does the synthetic earpads from the hd 25 fix this? 
2) the midbass although is very nice and tight i feel like in terms of quantity it isn't enough for portable use (at home its really perfect) but as many of you all know when subwaying or outside. i did find myself turning up the volume a bit to get the midbass to come through the subway screeching, but the treble being so prominent made that fatiguing pretty quick and my ears hurt afterwards =(

3) the right side is insanely loose! i had them around my neck and while turning my head a bit, it moved down like 3-4 notches. the left side is loose too but noticeable tighter. has anyone else experienced this? and is there anything that can fix that?--? i tried putting a few layers of tape on the  earcups, it seems to help a bit but its still loose

I can only answer what the pleather pads do to the Amperior. In your case, I would say, get them fast. They isolate you much more, hence you need less volume and save your hearing. Bass is a few tads more pronounced too.

I listened to the Amperiors with pleather pads yesterday while vaccuuming (domestic help is on vacation), so it was really loud and I still had such a blast listening to my music. Awesome cans that I neglected too long. :)

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #752 of 1,054
I can only answer what the pleather pads do to the Amperior. In your case, I would say, get them fast. They isolate you much more, hence you need less volume and save your hearing. Bass is a few tads more pronounced too.

I listened to the Amperiors with pleather pads yesterday while vaccuuming (domestic help is on vacation), so it was really loud and I still had such a blast listening to my music. Awesome cans that I neglected too long. :)

I have to disagree with this personally. I bought HD-25 pleather pads and found that whilst a touch more isolating it simply made the bass boomier and the overall presentation slightly muddy; not quite as tight-sounding. Ended up switching back to the micro-fiber pads and selling on the pleathers...

Still, it's all about personal preference so give them a go and see what you think!

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #753 of 1,054

3) the right side is insanely loose! i had them around my neck and while turning my head a bit, it moved down like 3-4 notches. the left side is loose too but noticeable tighter. has anyone else experienced this? and is there anything that can fix that?--? i tried putting a few layers of tape on the  earcups, it seems to help a bit but its still loose

Yeah, shouldn't be doing that; sliding down notches without being adjusted. I'd suggest maybe trying to tighten up the Torx screws on the clamp.

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #754 of 1,054
I have to disagree with this personally. I bought HD-25 pleather pads and found that whilst a touch more isolating it simply made the bass boomier and the overall presentation slightly muddy; not quite as tight-sounding. Ended up switching back to the micro-fiber pads and selling on the pleathers...

Still, it's all about personal preference so give them a go and see what you think!

Yes, the bass gets a tad boomier for sure. But I didn't feel the presentation getting muddier, I A/B ed the Amperior with pleather pads with the standard HD25-1 that I have as well. I didn't hear mud. I also tried the alcantara pads on the HD25-1, I didn't really like their sound as much as with pleather. Anyhow, ears and taste are different. But also, I use the Amperior mostly when I am in noisy environments so some more extension in a few areas is desired.

Cheers,
K

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #755 of 1,054
Yes, the bass gets a tad boomier for sure. But I didn't feel the presentation getting muddier, I A/B ed the Amperior with pleather pads with the standard HD25-1 that I have as well. I didn't hear mud. I also tried the alcantara pads on the HD25-1, I didn't really like their sound as much as with pleather. Anyhow, ears and taste are different. But also, I use the Amperior mostly when I am in noisy environments so some more extension in a few areas is desired.

Cheers,
K

oh you found a way to fit the momentum on ear's alcantara earpads on ? 0.0!

what did you mean by extension, (bass extension?! if this the the case, i think i found my end game portable on ear)!!!

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #756 of 1,054
  oh you found a way to fit the momentum on ear's alcantara earpads on ? 0.0!

what did you mean by extension, (bass extension?! if this the the case, i think i found my end game portable on ear)!!!

ohhh, sorry, I mixed up Alcantara with velours. Amperior = velours, Momentum on ear = alcantara.

But yes, I have the feeling that Amperior definitively get a stronger, maybe a bit boomier, impactful bass with the pleather pads. The isolation is improved as well. I drive them with Audioengine D3, or Schiit Modi + Bravo Ocean, or directly from Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50.

Cheers,
K

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #757 of 1,054

ohhh, sorry, I mixed up Alcantara with velours. Amperior = velours, Momentum on ear = alcantara.

But yes, I have the feeling that Amperior definitively get a stronger, maybe a bit boomier, impactful bass with the pleather pads. The isolation is improved as well. I drive them with Audioengine D3, or Schiit Modi + Bravo Ocean, or directly from Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50.

Cheers,
K

nice i think i'll order some pads but now the problem is where to get em from? i'm located in canada and everywhere i look, everyone says their "genuine" but i see a whole slew of different prices so i don't know whats real or not!

anyone have any suggestions?

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #758 of 1,054
Well, I've ordered the Amperior for $140 from a third-party Amazon retailer and they should arrive sometime next week. Looking forward to comparing them to the M50s, and hoping for a significant step in the right direction based on what I've read about them. Looking for a new DAP to drive them, as I'm getting tired of the UI on my Sansa Clip+. Any recommendations? I'm looking at the iBasso DX50 currently.

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #759 of 1,054
does any one knw how to tam down the 7K spike on these without using EQ? any physical mod's may be?  cuz i find certain songs which i used to enjoy are intolerable :/  they sound way to harsh

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #760 of 1,054
  does any one knw how to tam down the 7K spike on these without using EQ? any physical mod's may be?  cuz i find certain songs which i used to enjoy are intolerable :/  they sound way to harsh

One complaint I've never had with the Amperior is harsh treble (unlike my T1s!); if anything I find them to be on the dark end of spectrum, signature-wise. I guess it depends what headphones you're coming from though. Common mods are re-cabling or changing the pads to HD-25 pleather. As with any tweaks though, neither are going to affect night and day changes imo. I actually re-cabled my Amps with an Oyaide cable but really just cos I wanted to replace the thin stock cable - it didn't alter the sound signature of the phones in any significant way. What source are you using? DAP presumably? Not casting aspersions about the quality of your audio files, but the only time I've noticed the Amperiors sounding bright was with sub-quality files, at which point it did show up some harsh compression artifacts.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #761 of 1,054

One complaint I've never had with the Amperior is harsh treble (unlike my T1s!); if anything I find them to be on the dark end of spectrum, signature-wise. I guess it depends what headphones you're coming from though. Common mods are re-cabling or changing the pads to HD-25 pleather. As with any tweaks though, neither are going to affect night and day changes imo. I actually re-cabled my Amps with an Oyaide cable but really just cos I wanted to replace the thin stock cable - it didn't alter the sound signature of the phones in any significant way. What source are you using? DAP presumably? Not casting aspersions about the quality of your audio files, but the only time I've noticed the Amperiors sounding bright was with sub-quality files, at which point it did show up some harsh compression artifacts.

thats quite surprising! i actually found it quite harsh at first, i still find them a bit bright for my taste but what cans are YOU coming from? that make the amperiors dark?! i'm quite interested what can be brighter than the amps.

i haven't owned anything brighter than my amps right now, i own or owned the gr07be, re400, momentum on and over ear, vmoda xs, vmoda m100, monster turbine, jvc fxd80 (which comes close but exactly), philips she3590, monoprice 8320, monoprice 8323.

i do find some songs harsher than what i like, but thats really the song i guess. rock songs i heard goes well with the amps but i find a lot of the times its quite harsh for this genre, abeit it does reveal the crunch of the guitar and the cymbal crashes very well. still my ears get fatigued (physically too, cause they press quite hard)

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #762 of 1,054
thats quite surprising! i actually found it quite harsh at first, i still find them a bit bright for my taste but what cans are YOU coming from? that make the amperiors dark?! i'm quite interested what can be brighter than the amps.

i haven't owned anything brighter than my amps right now, i own or owned the gr07be, re400, momentum on and over ear, vmoda xs, vmoda m100, monster turbine, jvc fxd80 (which comes close but exactly), philips she3590, monoprice 8320, monoprice 8323.

i do find some songs harsher than what i like, but thats really the song i guess. rock songs i heard goes well with the amps but i find a lot of the times its quite harsh for this genre, abeit it does reveal the crunch of the guitar and the cymbal crashes very well. still my ears get fatigued (physically too, cause they press quite hard)

My experience as well. I do feel that Amperiors highs are a bit extended but I guess it depends what you have as reference. It's much much brighter than the HD-25. I recently posted some of my thoughts between the two here http://www.head-fi.org/t/704613/review-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-vs-sennheiser-amperior-comparison-review.

I did listen to them a lot today and they were very enjoyable and useful (isolation, office calls)

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #763 of 1,054

I suppose my main reference would be the T1 actually. I certainly find the Amps brighter than the ATH-PRO700MKs I owned briefly, but before that I had HD-25s for about 10 years and both those and the Amps I found to be fairly neutral, verging on dark - never felt the need to get into EQ-ing or modding in order to tame a treble peak, as I have with the T1. Everyone hears things differently though: some would maintain the T1 isn't a bright can either.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #764 of 1,054

I heard the same spike as Sylaw.  I noted it in my mini review of 6 portable headphones on my blog ( see signature).  I think the 6-7 kilohertz spike can make some recordings a bit too hot and maybe even harsh, yet I also feel as  Wraithape does that lower quality lossy files are most to blame.

My ear canal resonance also happens to coincide with this peak and unfortunately equalization is probably the only way to tame it and not affect the other frequencies too much.  I use equalizer on my idevice to set a parametric notch to control a spike like this and use it to very good effect with my Vsonic iems.  Check my blog for details on how I use it.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #765 of 1,054
I've had my Amperiors for about a month now, and they're pretty good! They're my first pair of non-cheapo's and they've been doing a bang up job at handling most things I have to throw to them. The Amperiors expose the handful of lower bit-rate quality songs I have and  even some old LP's doesn't sound up to snuff on these things. For example the Yes album "Fragile" audio quality sticks out like a sore thumb even though I have the album in 320. Instrument separation, clarity and positioning are the standout qualities in the Amperiors from my experience and limited knowledge with good headphones, being able to hear breathes during a trumpeters playing and the position of his instrument in the recording is pretty damn cool.

With that said I do feel that the Amperiors are a bit on the dark side of things. When I plugged them into my guitar amplifier for some testing I immediately noticed that my tone was colored with more bass. I was able to hear every little thing my fingers did and how the string responded to it, but my tone was still colored which was a bit of a bummer since I was planning on using them for late night practice sessions.

The Bass, in my opinion, is definitely represented in the Amperiors. I'm no basshead but I couldn't imagine people wanting more bass than what the Amperior offer, in fact, on my Sansa mp3 player sometimes I eq the bass down a smidge. The subbass in Olson by Boards of Canada nearly brought me to tears because it was so beautiful, likewise for Finlays Rainbow by A Guy Called Gerald.

The Mids are great. Strings and keys sound great through Amperiors. Female vocals sound great and male voices sound solid. However, I find myself turning up the volume when I watch movies and listen to podcasts due to voices sounding distant.

Highs are really expressive in the Amperiors, that's the best way I can really describe it.  There have been a few albums that I liked but was never super high before, but since listening to them again with the amps I've really grown to adore them. This was due to flutes, clarinets, mandolins and cymbals suddenly sounding like they had life in them instead of sounding sterile.

All told I'm really satisfied with my pair of Amperiors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back