Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #557 of 1,054
  Second day of using the Amperior. Awesome for metal, although comfort is not that amazing (expected for on-ear I guess) and a bit more sub-bass would have been appreciated. I really couldn't see myself living with the flimsy stock cables so I ordered an Oyaide HPC-HD25 cable. I'm not sure on ordering a clamp set yet since I can just flip the cups upside down and let the cables hang downwards right?

I have the Oyaide cable, it has the same unequal L/R length so you will have to buy the HD-25 cable clamp.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #559 of 1,054
Ah didn't think about that. Well I guess I'm gonna need that stupid clamp after all.

The cheapest I can currently find it is for ~10GBP incl. shipping+tax on http://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/clamp-set-for-sennheiser-hd-25.html

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #560 of 1,054
Guys help me out here please.... I am On the verge of selling my hd25s and buying a pair of amperiors as a replacement..... I want a even better sounding hd25 of course (not that i dont like the hd25 but something even better is always nice) and a slight upgrasde on the confort with the velour pads (the leatherete ones hurt a bit after 15 minutes and the hard clamping makes everyrhing sound too confined and inside your head after a while)....

I never had the chance to try any amperiors....

After numerous researches i had the impression that the amperior would be a very slightly warmer hd25, with better controlled highs, slightly fuller and more precise bass and overall clearer and better.....

But now some people reported me that they found their amperiors to be even brighet and less controlled in the highs than the hd25-1 ii…..

Can anyone clear this out for me please? Anyone that had or tried both?

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #561 of 1,054
Pedro:

Along with the replies you got in this thread.  Here is an expert review for the two from Tyl Hertsens from Inner Fidelity.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii

From the review:

While the HD 25-1 II is a good sounding headphone, I would characterize its performance as "very good mid-fi," while my experience with the Amperior reached what I would consider "entry-level audiophile" performance.

HD 25-1 II had a bit of an edge to them, in the case of the Amperior the highs are simply clear and articulate; there may be the slightest edge to the sound, but it's not bothersome in the least

And looking at the graphs of the two the Amps seem to have just a slightly steeper rolloff in the low bass under 50hz.  The HD 25s have just a bit of a dip before 100 and a bit of a broad peak form 100-200.  Other than that there response curves are almost identical.  Fuller-NO  More precise-PERHAPS  Overall clearer in the highs-YES

As for clamping, the Amps clamp similarly to the HD25 II.

That is about it.  An upgrade to the 25 sound for not a lot more at today's price.  

Stop agonizing over it and pull the trigger if you like the 25s.  Worse case is you feel they are not much better, then sell them and move on, it's the head-fi way 
wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #562 of 1,054
  Pedro:

Along with the replies you got in this thread.  Here is an expert review for the two from Tyl Hertsens from Inner Fidelity.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii

From the review:

While the HD 25-1 II is a good sounding headphone, I would characterize its performance as "very good mid-fi," while my experience with the Amperior reached what I would consider "entry-level audiophile" performance.

HD 25-1 II had a bit of an edge to them, in the case of the Amperior the highs are simply clear and articulate; there may be the slightest edge to the sound, but it's not bothersome in the least

And looking at the graphs of the two the Amps seem to have just a slightly steeper rolloff in the low bass under 50hz.  The HD 25s have just a bit of a dip before 100 and a bit of a broad peak form 100-200.  Other than that there response curves are almost identical.  Fuller-NO  More precise-PERHAPS  Overall clearer in the highs-YES

As for clamping, the Amps clamp similarly to the HD25 II.

That is about it.  An upgrade to the 25 sound for not a lot more at today's price.  

Stop agonizing over it and pull the trigger if you like the 25s.  Worse case is you feel they are not much better, then sell them and move on, it's the head-fi way 
wink_face.gif

Yeah i know bixby.... i am going to dive in.... just closing the sell of my hd25's and i am onmy way to amperior land. I would like to compare both but this weak i just purchased a pair of k550 and i cannot have so much money spent on headphones so i gootta make some money with my hd25's...... 85 euros for a brand new pair of k550's..... dont know if i am going to like them since i never tried them, but after reading so good reviews and at such a good price i just could not resist.... They must arrive till wednesday, lets see what i think of them... :)

Just to finish the conversation.... detail..... on this aspect the amperiors and the 25's are basically the same right? Just askin.... XD

Oh..... i am no graphic reader at all so...... "And looking at the graphs of the two the Amps seem to have just a slightly steeper rolloff in the low bass under 50hz.  The HD 25s have just a bit of a dip before 100 and a bit of a broad peak form 100-200...."..... what this this exactly means...? XD I am the type of guy that just says "hum..... sounds good.... or not....."... XD

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #564 of 1,054
Ah, I love the HD25 vs AMPERIOR debates.... because sometimes before I am falling asleep my mind plays tricks on me and says things like...

"you shoulda kept your HD25's you fool!"
and then a few seconds later "That's CRAZY, the Amperiors are MUCH better sounding, just read the InnerFidelity report, idiot!" lol

I guess my point is that they really are sooooo close, that I would base my decision (if I had to do it all again) on....

#1 LOOKS  (Amperior looks classier, HD25's look more PRO.... both good in their own way)

#2 PRICE   (Amperior for $135ish??? That's a No-Brainer.... grab em!)

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #565 of 1,054
I just noticed that the following was mentioned in the Amperior's Amazon page: "Remember to let these headphones burn in – this will allow the headphones to relax into their sound signature."
Is this an official statement from Sennheiser? I recently did a brief comparison between a used and a brand new Amperior, and I hastily concluded that there was no difference, but now that I am keeping the new Amperiors, I notice that
they don't seem to sound as good as the used ones I had. Any thoughts on this?

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #567 of 1,054
  I just noticed that the following was mentioned in the Amperior's Amazon page: "Remember to let these headphones burn in – this will allow the headphones to relax into their sound signature."
Is this an official statement from Sennheiser? I recently did a brief comparison between a used and a brand new Amperior, and I hastily concluded that there was no difference, but now that I am keeping the new Amperiors, I notice that
they don't seem to sound as good as the used ones I had. Any thoughts on this?

@tempusfugit (oops I meant @zeitfliesst)

I always thought the burn in happens in your head, not in the headphones. HOWEVER, the Amperiors changed my perspective. I just yesterday listened to a few songs that I know extremely well, as I test headphones with them. Anyhow, my Amperiors have maybe 20-30 hours on them only  and after maybe 15 hours or they changed, yes, as always they change for the better (??) and the bass is so much more exciting. The whole sound is fuller and more engaging. I was missing something in comparison to my HD25-1 (NOT HD25-1 II), especially in the lower parts. Now it's there. 

So I would say: give them some time and let them burn in, then reassess.

Disclaimer: I also changed the interconnect cable from the headphone to my amp from the flimsy provided cable to a stronger 100% copper cable ($6). Not sure if that had any part in it.

Anyhow, I like my Amperiors even more than before now. My new test-song is Woodkid - I love you/Run boy run/Iron/Ghost lights. How different headphones render the drums is just amazing.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #568 of 1,054
Guys, I hope that I can get answer for my questions.

1) Can recommend me casing for Amperior? This headphone pretty durable but, I prefer to keep her inside casing before store inside my bag. Prefer hard casing but soft should be okay.

2) I want to change the stock cable because I use the cable without mic, and it's very thin and fragile IMO. I'm thinking of getting custom Van Damme cable ($40-50) but I need to rotate the ear cup. I wondering if rotating the cup will make the sound worse. And how to rotate them like the HD 25 ii below? I totally no idea.

And will this cable do the job?
https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SEN-HD25-COILED
https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SEN-AMPCONCABLE

But the cable too expensive IMO.

Or any replacement cable which I can re-route like the stock cable, through the headband?

3) Got any mod for the earpad? I google "Sennheiser Amperior earpad mod" but no result. On ear, ouch... I hope can make the pad softer, or I have this crazy idea, mod to over ear pad. *facepalm.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #569 of 1,054
1) I bought 2 cases from Ebay for my Sennheiser hd 25 and amperior, the headphone fits perfectly in the case. Or you have the option to buy the carry bag. 
Here is the link: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Storage-Case-Box-Bag-For-HD25-HD-25-1-HD25-1ii-HD25SP-Headphones-Headsets-/251296154533?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=&hash=item3a826b03a5

2) For the cable, you may consider to buy Oyaide HPC-HD25, but I think you need also to buy HD-25 headphones Cable Clamp if you dont want to rotate your ear cup. You should do more research before to buy these, because I dont own these so I cant garanty to you that it will fit 100% with amperior.
Here is the link for climp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Sennheiser-HD-25-headphones-Cable-Clamp-set-includes-screws-/131099032172?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1e861c7a6c
Here is the link for cable:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=oyaide+hd25&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XOyaide+HPC-HD25&_nkw=Oyaide+HPC-HD25&_sacat=0

I hope these may help you for your need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back