Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #826 of 1,054
how long does it take to burn them in? i think after 2-3 weeks of using they started to open up particularly on certain frequencies. from yesterday. i started hearing things i knew i couldn't hear or understand before.
i think it’s both you get used to headphones and headphone membrane gets more flexible or may be something else. i think you wouldn’t know for sure if you don’t buy two of them and compare burned in with new one if burn in is real thing, if headphones sound better after a few weeks of listening.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #827 of 1,054
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]what i heard is really incredible. but i start from going to a store of headphones. i decidec to compare those sennheiser urbanite, is sounded worse than amperiors. before i could not tell. only after having and listening to music with amperiors i could compare the headphones. then i connected those beats solo 2 that get good reviews. they sounded worse. no where close to sennheiser amperior.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]then i connected it to ipads the new ipad air the sound was similar to my iphone 3gs.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]then i connected my sennheiser amperior to imac, the new imac, what i heard is nothing i have ever herd before. i have never heard the sound this good. they sounded incredible. and i understood why people say that sennheiser amperior sound good. because the sound card on my macbook is not as good as on imac. i like bass but what i heard there is so much bass that none of the people who like bass would not want any more. everying can be heard, the sound is amazing and incredible. the way amperiors sound in imac in comparison to how they sound on my macbook is a pitty hum, anyway i heard everything in songs. and i connected the sennheiser amperior to latest macbook in a mac shop and they did not sound that good as on imac. a bit better than on my mac but not that good. also i need to correct by saying i they sounded good it actually was mac mini, cause it was connected to apple monitor so i though it was imac, it’s actually latest mac mini. and i understood what a good sound it was. it is comparable like going to disco multiplied by 4[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]so i really liked that sennheiser amperior sounded that they sound better than urbanite and beats solo 2, and cause i though urbanite would sound better but they don’t, they just have more bass and it’s like sennheiser beats kind of headphones. and i think they sound better than beats solo 2 headphones. and second i was glad that i got such capable headphones. the sound is just perfect with mac mini. and also i opened audio midi setup application and changed to 91000hz and 32 bit it is better sound quality than standard default wich is set to 41000hz and 16 bit.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]anyway so the question is what sound card plays sound just as good or better as latest mac mini? i don’t think i want to buy a mac mini, i don’t like desktops but sound is just good.[/color]

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #828 of 1,054
so i really liked that sennheiser amperior sounded that they sound better than urbanite and beats solo 2, and cause i though urbanite would sound better but they don’t, they just have more bass and it’s like sennheiser beats kind of headphones. and i think they sound better than beats solo 2 headphones. and second i was glad that i got such capable headphones. the sound is just perfect with mac mini. and also i opened audio midi setup application and changed to 91000hz and 32 bit it is better sound quality than standard default wich is set to 41000hz and 16 bit.

anyway so the question is what sound card plays sound just as good or better as latest mac mini? i don’t think i want to buy a mac mini, i don’t like desktops but sound is just good.

To get better sound quality, you could improve your DAC, and amplifier, but we are talking minimal amount of improvements, especially for what you might be spending on amp/DAC.

The Amperiors are excellent headphones, enjoy their crisp highend and textured bass.

Don't bother setting your computer to 96000hz and 32 bit. That will not improve audibly improve the sound from your headphones, source files, or computers DAC. Visit Sound Science forums to learn why.

If you like what you hear from the Amperiors, and want to move up its going to really cost you. take a lowly Sennheiser HD600 or Hd650, they will be better than the Amperior in that their presentation of frequencies is much more natural. Instrument separation is really good to. Still, they won't have that high end you get from the Amperiors.

The Amperiors, aside from their boosted bass, had a near audiophile grade sound. They weren't reference in tuning like the 650s, but they are darn brilliant. I have a pair of HD25s which preceded the Ampeior by a couple decades. Many similiarities but they are completely different sounding. I actually preferred e tuning of the old HD25 but recognize the Amperior as technically superior, especially it's high end.

You'd probably love the HD800 and would get a modest DAC and amp to power them to start out. Again huge amounts of money. But still a fraction of what a good stereo setup costs. So depends how you look at it.

I'd keep the Amperiors, as they are excellent as portables and are still enjoyable even at home.

Compliment them with a second headphone. Take a look at the new Philips Fidelio X2 - by some estimations able to at least nudge the HD600 off of its throne within the price bracket, and it doesn't require a dedicated amp. So easy to drive audiophile sound. It will have better bass, soundstage than your Amperior

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #829 of 1,054
To get better sound quality, you could improve your DAC, and amplifier, but we are talking minimal amount of improvements, especially for what you might be spending on amp/DAC.

The Amperiors are excellent headphones, enjoy their crisp highend and textured bass.

Don't bother setting your computer to 96000hz and 32 bit. That will not improve audibly improve the sound from your headphones, source files, or computers DAC. Visit Sound Science forums to learn why.

If you like what you hear from the Amperiors, and want to move up its going to really cost you. take a lowly Sennheiser HD600 or Hd650, they will be better than the Amperior in that their presentation of frequencies is much more natural. Instrument separation is really good to. Still, they won't have that high end you get from the Amperiors.

The Amperiors, aside from their boosted bass, had a near audiophile grade sound. They weren't reference in tuning like the 650s, but they are darn brilliant. I have a pair of HD25s which preceded the Ampeior by a couple decades. Many similiarities but they are completely different sounding. I actually preferred e tuning of the old HD25 but recognize the Amperior as technically superior, especially it's high end.

You'd probably love the HD800 and would get a modest DAC and amp to power them to start out. Again huge amounts of money. But still a fraction of what a good stereo setup costs. So depends how you look at it.

I'd keep the Amperiors, as they are excellent as portables and are still enjoyable even at home.

Compliment them with a second headphone. Take a look at the new Philips Fidelio X2 - by some estimations able to at least nudge the HD600 off of its throne within the price bracket, and it doesn't require a dedicated amp. So easy to drive audiophile sound. It will have better bass, soundstage than your Amperior

thanks

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #830 of 1,054

can you reccomend a dac that works with a mac? thanks

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #831 of 1,054

can you reccomend a dac that works with a mac? thanks

I would highly recommend this portable AMP / DAC. It really is the complete package.
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

It is USB Audio Class 1 compliant, which means it is practically plug-in-play for almost all computers without even a driver. Also iOS devices support this as well. To top it off, it is portable with its own battery, so its pretty transportable. 

Its a transparent DAC, but the amp portion has two gain settings, one that is good for in-ear monitors and sensitive headphones like your Amperior, and the other to drive some more demanding (but not the highest demanding) headphones that require more juice (can drive an HD650 no problem). 

There are other comparable offerings from other companies. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #832 of 1,054

I would highly recommend this portable AMP / DAC. It really is the complete package.
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

It is USB Audio Class 1 compliant, which means it is practically plug-in-play for almost all computers without even a driver. Also iOS devices support this as well. To top it off, it is portable with its own battery, so its pretty transportable. 

Its a transparent DAC, but the amp portion has two gain settings, one that is good for in-ear monitors and sensitive headphones like your Amperior, and the other to drive some more demanding (but not the highest demanding) headphones that require more juice (can drive an HD650 no problem). 

There are other comparable offerings from other companies. 

I can vouch for the C5D as well, absolutely capable and versatile. I love that amp. Alternatively if you want something that's not mobile, the Schiit Modi2 (DAC) and Magni2 (Amp) are amazing without going overboard.

Cheers,
K

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #833 of 1,054
thanks, jds labs is good. and i like portability of it. how do they compare to e10k? which is a desktop amp, and ye portable would be better ofcourse, not sure how to use dac on iphone though but on mac ye it’s quite easy to use. there is also fiio portable dac e07k and a e17k
yes i think jds labs is probably the best portable option but is there alternative? thank you for your suggestions. i would know know about those otherwise. thanks

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #834 of 1,054
  thanks, jds labs is good. and i like portability of it. how do they compare to e10k? which is a desktop amp, and ye portable would be better ofcourse, not sure how to use dac on iphone though but on mac ye it’s quite easy to use. there is also fiio portable dac e07k and a e17k
yes i think jds labs is probably the best portable option but is there alternative? thank you for your suggestions. i would know know about those otherwise. thanks

I own the Fiio E7 and E07K as well, the JDS Labs is way better. The E11 is fed by the USB power only so while it's not portable it's not necessary more powerful than the "mobile" C5D. Other than that there are hundreds of alternatives for DAC/Amps, mobile and desktop. Just check out the forum - Portable headphone amps.

Cheers,
K

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #835 of 1,054

I own the Fiio E7 and E07K as well, the JDS Labs is way better. The E11 is fed by the USB power only so while it's not portable it's not necessary more powerful than the "mobile" C5D. Other than that there are hundreds of alternatives for DAC/Amps, mobile and desktop. Just check out the forum - Portable headphone amps.

Cheers,
K

on the contrary of popular belief that macs have good sound card they don't, macs have a bad sound card. may be good if that's all you listen to, but in comparison to fiio e10k macs don't have a good sound card. even the latest macs don't. mac dac is just not resolving all the detail in the music. i find amperiors can make sound much better than mac dac can. so i do want to get a dacamp cause it improves audio quality by two times or may be more if it's another dac. between latest mac and fiio e10k, e10k is twice better. c5d is probably even by 3 times or something, since it's better than fiio. also isn't e11 an amp only, anyway thanks for suggestions.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #836 of 1,054
also between advertised urbanite and beats solo 2 everyone says sound good, amperiors are much more clear, i went to shop and compared them directly, amperiors just much more better sound. urbanite probably has more bass than solo 2 but it's just a sloppy bass, not dynamic bass and they are definitelly not dinamic headphones in my opinion. anyway i am really happy with my amperiors, i was disapointed at first now they are growing on me, may be they opened up or i got used to them. or both, none the less gotta get a dac, it improves sound a lot. i got a demo of a fiio e10k in a shop and it sounded like listening to music a recording studio. it really is hifi, the word hifi is thrown around everywhere on things that are low fi. so people don't even know that music can sound very good. and people say it's professinal features you need to buy things separately when i tell them about dacamps. and i'm like really how would people even know that music can sound this good unless you spend time researching it. and beats is a total bs really. and this is some one who liked beats before. the society makes sure that you get low fi audio quality. so you gotta buy proper headphones and proper dac for your music to sound hifi. without it people will not even know that music can sound any better. cheers

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #837 of 1,054
also between advertised urbanite and beats solo 2 everyone says sound good, amperiors are much more clear, i went to shop and compared them directly, amperiors just much more better sound. urbanite probably has more bass than solo 2 but it's just a sloppy bass, not dynamic bass and they are definitelly not dinamic headphones in my opinion. anyway i am really happy with my amperiors, i was disapointed at first now they are growing on me, may be they opened up or i got used to them. or both, none the less gotta get a dac, it improves sound a lot. i got a demo of a fiio e10k in a shop and it sounded like listening to music a recording studio. it really is hifi, the word hifi is thrown around everywhere on things that are low fi. so people don't even know that music can sound very good. and people say it's professinal features you need to buy things separately when i tell them about dacamps. and i'm like really how would people even know that music can sound this good unless you spend time researching it. and beats is a total bs really. and this is some one who liked beats before. the society makes sure that you get low fi audio quality. so you gotta buy proper headphones and proper dac for your music to sound hifi. without it people will not even know that music can sound any better. cheers

Hi!

Ok, if you have a certain budget for the DAC/Amp then the E10K is outstanding for its price. One other DAC/Amp to consider would be the $79 Fulla Schiit from schiit.com, I have not personally heard it but so far nothing from schiit has ever disappointed me.

And as far as the Amperior go: I am with you, outstanding headphone in a long line of great headphones (HD25) that is an absolutely joy to listen to.

Cheers,
K

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #838 of 1,054
Hi!

Ok, if you have a certain budget for the DAC/Amp then the E10K is outstanding for its price. One other DAC/Amp to consider would be the $79 Fulla Schiit from schiit.com, I have not personally heard it but so far nothing from schiit has ever disappointed me.

And as far as the Amperior go: I am with you, outstanding headphone in a long line of great headphones (HD25) that is an absolutely joy to listen to.

Cheers,
K

ye i will probably buy fiio e10k if i won't find anything better, and yes after i buy it i probably might find something better or something but that's how it goes. i would like to buy c5d but it's too expensive at the moment. althught it probably is worth the money. and as of schiit fulla it's not certain if it's sounds better cause it just came out it's a rescent dac and amp.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #839 of 1,054
just curious how much is c5d better in comparison to fiio e10k?

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #840 of 1,054
Hi!

It's better by...

... by exactly 11.34 AEP   

AEP is: Audiophile Enjoyment Points  
A measurement I made up. And since there is no reference to anything, it's also completely meaningless.

Fun aside. Hard to say, 5% better, maybe 10% is it worth the difference, well, that depends. some people might hear it, some don't, depends also on your source files, etc.  The E10k might be all the amp you ever need (sorry Jason, I stole this line from Schiit).

Anyhow, you should be totally happy with the Amperior and the E10K - there is ALWAYS something better in the audiophile world. So don't get bothered too much by that.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back