Senn px100... loud enough??
Feb 21, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebassman
...I must say I like the sound of the PX100's, very balanced, but I don't find them very sensitive...

I must agree with you. I like the sound very much too but they're not sensitive at all. On my portable cd-player Sony D-NE700 I can turn volumes to the max without music playing too loud. Of course it also depends on the quality of recording but afterall they could be more sensitive.

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
If you're running PX100s over half volume on an iPod you have serious hearing damage. For anyone with normal hearing the PX100 should present no problems whatsoever in terms of driving... I even have a pathetic minidisc player that drives them well over comfortable levels.

jesse

I guess I have serious hearing damage. :p

Though, I have tried very hard to preserve my hearing.

I thought my weak MD player actually drove the PX100 better, despite being much less powerful than my iPod. It makes no sense. It is not rational. But it was subjectively true.

In a quiet environment, for most program, PX100 and iPod are good at about half volume. For rock, in a noisy environment, gotta go a bit above that...

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
My PX-100s burned in in 15 minutes. I could actually hear it shifting. They aren't sturdy enough for baby chimps to use though.

See ya
Steve

Burn-in starts quickly on these and finishes up slowly - radical shift in first several minutes, some subtle things emerge much later.

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by phonatic
I guess I have serious hearing damage. :p

Though, I have tried very hard to preserve my hearing.

I thought my weak MD player actually drove the PX100 better, despite being much less powerful than my iPod. It makes no sense. It is not rational. But it was subjectively true.

In a quiet environment, for most program, PX100 and iPod are good at about half volume. For rock, in a noisy environment, gotta go a bit above that...

Well yeah in a quiet environment... You're probably still doing ok, but if you keep going above that in noisy environments you're not doing yourself any favours.

jesse

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I must agree with you. I like the sound very much too but they're not sensitive at all. On my portable cd-player Sony D-NE700 I can turn volumes to the max without music playing too loud. Of course it also depends on the quality of recording but afterall they could be more sensitive.

I'm sorry to tell you but that's your players fault. It has a European cap of only 1.5mw per channel. Just enough to handle the bundled earbuds.
frown.gif

I thought Wildebassmans player didn't have that. It said on kieskeurig.nl that it had 12mw. So I thought that was 6mw per channel and that should be more than enough to damage your hearing. Maybe kieskeurig is wrong, but if it isn't I suggest you keep the volume at normal levels. Hearing loss isn't fun as it starts with ringing in your ears (tinnitus) that doesn't go away and is very annoying.

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I'm sorry to tell you but that's your players fault. It has a European cap of only 1.5mw per channel. Just enough to handle the bundled earbuds.
frown.gif

I thought Wildebassmans player didn't have that. It said on kieskeurig.nl that it had 12mw. So I thought that was 6mw per channel and that should be more than enough to damage your hearing. Maybe kieskeurig is wrong, but if it isn't I suggest you keep the volume at normal levels. Hearing loss isn't fun as it starts with ringing in your ears (tinnitus) that doesn't go away and is very annoying.

I was going to reply with something along these lines...

Maybe its worth putting a general notice on the forums advising people of how crippled European equipment is these days...

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #37 of 39
If portability is not an issue go with HD-497's at about the same price. They are more efficient (regardless of what the numbers say) and sound 4-5 times better. I own both and have done plenty of experimenting.

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #38 of 39
Believe it or not, I have an old Sony player twice as loud as my new Philips, now I have ordered a new Sony D-NE300 from the states to get one with the higher U.S. output instead of the european version.....
biggrin.gif

BTW, the Philips exp321 sucks..., distortion on conventional cd's and skipping on mp3's, just another piece of overpriced Philips junk...

Feb 22, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
How rugged are the px100? Can they stand the abuse of a careless 14 yr old girl? She has destroyed two pair of Senn px500 is as many months.
Sorry for the thread sidejack.

I had them since nine months ago. Every day I fold/unfold them several times, at the beginning i put them into their case but i noticed that they support fine daily stress in my bag.
I never had a pair of portable headphones with cables that survived more than six months.
Now I expect that my px100s will survive they first birthday
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back