Senn px100... loud enough??
Feb 20, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebassman
Ok, thanks, I think I'm convinced enough to buy them for my exp.321..
biggrin.gif

yes go right ahead. the px100 will not disappoint. Heck, i own many other cans, and i dare say the px100 offers the best bang for buck in terms of SQ and value. there are times when i just put on my px100 then ponder on why i ever spent so much on other unnecessary gear when simplicity is bliss? BUY IT THEN SELF BAN YOURSELF FROM VISITING THIS ACCURSED PLACE!!
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 39
wildebassman --
For redundant repetition or further proof - the PX100 is not as sensitive as (sensitive) earbuds, but close. No issues at all with your Philips player. Ah, and it's great !

Nak Man --
Do you have a 'rough verdict' of your liking of PX100 yet ?

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Do you have a 'rough verdict' of your liking of PX100 yet ?

Well, it's sitting right here next to me, connected to white dap.
smily_headphones1.gif
While sportapro is on my kids room (i know, loving father, keeping the one he likes for himself =).

I wish I can recommend them more. But lately there's a price hike that put px100 at about 2x price of sportapro, which made them look bad in price / performance. I sneaked 2 pairs from 'insiders' at old price (slightly above that of koss). Well, they're no 595, but I don't think I need lengthy comparison to appreciate px100's more natural sound though !
600smile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 39
Very nice... so I don't need to hunt for 'insiders' in my turn, to get the sportapro/portapro at a decent price.
biggrin.gif
280smile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 39
They work great with my Sony NW-HD1. And though I removed the eurocap, this player still has a lowpowered amp.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Very nice... so I don't need to hunt for 'insiders' in my turn, to get the sportapro/portapro at a decent price.
biggrin.gif
280smile.gif

Well, not really =) - reading your post and many comments above made me do a more careful listening between the two with amp and compare them with 650.
eek.gif

As stupid as it sounds: they both sound like a full bodied 650. Well of course all the glory detail, airiness and refinements of 650 were not there, but for the most part, both phones' tonal balance impressed me as hell. What's worse, sporta pro closely follow 650's mid treble with some sibilance added while px100 err on the down side, hiding some low/mid treble - bringing the imagined senn veil up to mind for the first time. OMG, I feel so unworthy after giving this comment ... am I that tin eared to think they sound that good ?!
plainface.gif

I used to say :meh: to people who praise px or koss to the end, and thought they aint hear nothing yet. But here I am ... joining the club. I can only hope things will change after a while: performance, hearing ability, taste, healthiness, and so on, but as of now, that's the way I hear them. Sigh.
frown.gif

---

On the other hand, I can't really relate the loudness comments above when using them amped. While out of ipod, both maintained their strength without losing much composure but seems px need a bit nudge up on the volume dial. From their specs:

Sporta: 15-25k, 60 ohms, 103dB SPL/1mW, <0.2%
PX100 : 15-27k, 32 ohms, 114dB SPL/1khz/1Vrms, <0.1%

Using the headphone calculator, solving px100 at 1V to give out 114dB yielding a sensitivity of 99.05dB SPL/1mW. Therefore at same 75mV level, sporta give out 92.5dB and take 0.09mA while PX will give out 91.6dB and suck 0.18mA, or twice as much current.

So yes, despite their lower impedance, looks like PX a tad more difficult to drive than sporta pro, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here. Finally I'd like to say that I can live with either px or sporta without much complaint and have updated my profile accordingly.

600smile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 39
For what it's worth ...

pxsp650.jpg

Outside 1.2k-10k band sporta share similar trace with 650, while from here we see that PX are really not bad, not bad at all.
tongue.gif
xsmile:

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #23 of 39
Wow, that's being exhaustive !
tongue.gif

On the Sportapro - I suspected it, I had been comparing all those curves, and the Sportapro stood out as the one with the flatter (& disgustingly cheap) midrange.

I probably know how it feels anyway, since you might remember how, coming from the PX100, I had first told you that I wasn't all that overwhelmed by the 650 (pre- burn-in, yes).
plainface.gif

Well, let's not panic... I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.
confused.gif

[joke]

What impresses the most in these is the bass, isn't it? The PX100 does have bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Small tip -- with more hours of burn in, the dip in the mid-treble should tend/seem to almost vanish. I remember it was my only major complaint about the PX100, at first.

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by phonatic
They aren't as sensitive as the specs and size would let you believe. For example, the iPod has barely enough power to drive them well. They're still my favorite portable phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're running PX100s over half volume on an iPod you have serious hearing damage. For anyone with normal hearing the PX100 should present no problems whatsoever in terms of driving... I even have a pathetic minidisc player that drives them well over comfortable levels.

jesse

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #25 of 39
Thanks again for all the input, how much burn-in time will the px100's need?
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #27 of 39
Say, some 100 hours of burn in. [not a joke]
icon10.gif

dknightd --
'reports say' it's a durable headphone (despite its fairly delicate appearance). The headband is all metal, so it's solid & durable.
But don't give it for totally granted -- I'm the opposite type, the 'insanely careful'.
Anyway if it were the cable she broke in her (edited
smily_headphones1.gif
) mx500's, PX100 has a more resistant cable.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #28 of 39
My PX-100s burned in in 15 minutes. I could actually hear it shifting. They aren't sturdy enough for baby chimps to use though.

See ya
Steve

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
They will sound OK from the word go but they needed 200 hours for the mids the come out a bit. I listen at low volumes though...

I play my music (too) loud..., I must say I like the sound of the PX100's, very balanced, but I don't find them very sensitive, could have been a tad louder on my exp321... What MP3 player to buy that can handle my volume together with the 100's....? Man what's going on? Just surfed by this board and now I've bought me two new pairs of headphones and I find myself considering another player?????!!!!
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back