[Senn HD580 + cardas] or [Senn HD600]
Apr 27, 2004 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

h3nG

100+ Head-Fier
which is going to sound better, and in which department?

thanks!

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 16
[useless post]
Better to have HD600 and Cardas
tongue.gif

[/useless post]

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 16
HD580 + Cardas should be better than HD600 stock, since HD600 stock really isn't dramatically better than HD580 anyway. You should consider a Zu Mobius though... personally I've found them much better than Cardas.

Although I can't compare them side-by-side, since I don't have a Cardas cable, I just got a Oelbach for my HD580, and they sound like vast improvement... reminds me of how much difference that Cardas made. So the best bang for the buck might be the Oelbach cable, which gets pretty close to at least Cardas (can't say Zu Mobius quite), but at only $55 or so..

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 16
you're gonna upgrade, that's all there is to it

get the 600's, imo they are signifigantly better, at least to my ears on my system.

the bass is deeper and tighter and the mids and highs are slightly better, to me this was a big enough difference to shell out an extra 30 bucks (ok so i got both the 580s and 600's for a steal)

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Better yet to have the HD650 w/Silver Dragon.
wink.gif

The jury is still out, at least over here. I like the HD-600/Cardas a lot. The HD-650/Silver Dragon still has to prove itself to me. I do like the Silver Dragon better than I liked the Zu Mobius with the HD-650. The 650 sounds a bit more relaxed and open. Time will tell...

Back to the original question, I'd probably take the 580/Cardas over the HD-600 stock. The cable does make that much difference, at least in this case. The HD-580 and HD-600 use exactly the same driver. The difference is in the housing.

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 16
so if they use the same drivers, shouldn't they sound close to exactly a like.
i mean, used, the price of 600 is close to twice as much as the 580. and if the casing is the only difference, betsides very small sonic differences, i think it's smarter to invest that extra 100 dollars, saved from getting a 580, into cables...right?

btw, hirsh...which cable was on the senns when i tried it at your house?

thanks.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG

At the mini-meet, I think I had the Silver Dragon on the HD-600. IIRC the HD-650 arrived after that (and the Cardas arrived in the middle of the meet, but didn't get used at the time).

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
so if they use the same drivers, shouldn't they sound close to exactly a like.
i mean, used, the price of 600 is close to twice as much as the 580. and if the casing is the only difference, betsides very small sonic differences, i think it's smarter to invest that extra 100 dollars, saved from getting a 580, into cables...right?

thanks.

I'm sure if you had to listen to both HD580 and HD600 for a first time you wouldn't find ANY difference between them, the cable sends both of these phones to whole another level, eg. HD580 w/ cable beat the crap out of stock HD600.. it is wise not to spend the extra money on HD600 unless you can afford both headphones and cable.. and even then I think HD580 w/ Mobius will be better than HD600 w/ Oehlbach for instance.. remember you WILL upgrade sometimes to HD650, your cable will stand with you, your phones not..

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
I'm sure if you had to listen to both HD580 and HD600 for a first time you wouldn't find ANY difference between them, the cable sends both of these phones to whole another level, eg. HD580 w/ cable beat the crap out of stock HD600.. it is wise not to spend the extra money on HD600 unless you can afford both headphones and cable.. and even then I think HD580 w/ Mobius will be better than HD600 w/ Oehlbach for instance.. remember you WILL upgrade sometimes to HD650, your cable will stand with you, your phones not..

I completely agree. There's very little (if any) difference between the 580 and 600's. The price difference is mostly marketing. The cables do make a big difference. There is no question that a 580/Cardas combo would be by far superior to 600 with stock cables. BTW, I personally prefer the Equinox cable, although I haven't heard Zu Mobius or Silver dragon. I find the Equinox to be better balanced than Cardas.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 16
thanks guys, i guess it's decided then...580+cables now.

and once the senn sound signature grows on me and i have more money, i'll get myself a 650 and keep the cable. (but then again, the cd3000 sounds so damn good too...or maybe an upper model grados...god, i need to relieve my head-fi addiction...
icon10.gif
)

thanks!

600smile.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #15 of 16
The housing can have many effects in the sound (grado is an extreme example). In Sennheiser's case, the metal grille is supposed to be more open (heigher end grados also use a metal mesh vs peforated plastic). Also, supposedly, the carbon fiber housing of HD6x0 reduces vibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back