Senn HD 800 + Grado PS1000 or Audeze LCD-3
Aug 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #16 of 102
Quote:
I don't think it's the rig. I think shimmer n roar just prefers a more treble focussed sound. The LCD3 shelves it down a bit - no secret there. The HD800 has a bit of elevated treble, especially at 6 kHz and the PS1000 has a bunch of huge peaks and valleys in the treble that can sound fun or enveloping with certain songs (but I found grating with most of my music library).

I have a newer hd800 with the tame 6 khz

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 102
Thank you for your answers. I,ve asked for PS1000 and  LCD-3 but LCD-2 are mentioned then I have a question: Is the price difference justified for the sound differences between 2/3s . Are the 2s so critical with associated amp as the 3s?

Quote:
 The WA2/HD800 is fantastic

Absolutely.

When I decided to buy a new headphones I was thinking a similar results but with new candidate. Thatś my search.

Grazie mile

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #18 of 102
Quote:
I have a newer hd800 with the tame 6 khz

I really don't think its newer (well after s/n 1000). Mine are 64XX and measure the same as the newer ones released. I published it on the HD800 measurements thread. The 6kHz peak is most likely there too, but your WA2 is definitely helping attenuate it. That said, I don't think its much of an issue in my setup either (with my ears).

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 102
Quote:
20 minutes versus weeks in one's home with a more suitable amp might change your mind. Or not (being a W5000 fan 
wink.gif
). Good thing there are many headphones out there for most tastes.

i was in the store for around two hours. i think that's sufficient time to give all three phones a fair hearing. that's the advantage of auditioning gear for yourself, rather than having to rely on the bias of others.
wink.gif
if the wa2 isn't a suitable amp for the lcd3 as you say, then shouldn't we caution the op against buying it?

ps i'm more of a w3000anv fan actually - just like you, but you already know that.
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 102
Quote:

i was in the store for around two hours. i think that's sufficient time to give all three phones a fair hearing. that's the advantage of auditioning gear for yourself, rather than having to rely on the bias of others.
wink.gif
if the wa2 isn't a suitable amp for the lcd3 as you say, then shouldn't we caution the op against buying it?

ps i'm more of a w3000anv fan actually - just like you, but you already know that.
wink.gif

Two hours don't equal weeks at home listening quietly with one's music collection. 
wink.gif
 That said, they may not be for you. But at least we can agree that the W3000s are great headphones.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 102
Quote:
I don't think it's the rig. I think shimmer n roar just prefers a more treble focussed sound. The LCD3 shelves it down a bit - no secret there. The HD800 has a bit of elevated treble, especially at 6 kHz and the PS1000 has a bunch of huge peaks and valleys in the treble that can sound fun or enveloping with certain songs (but I found grating with most of my music library).

mh believes that the wa2 being an otl amp is not a good match for the lcd3. i don't have a view on that. and it wasn't just the lcd3's shelved down treble that concerned me. It sounded flat, there was a lack of air around instruments and an absence of soundstage. that along with its design, made listening to it a suffocating experience for me and i was relieved to take it off.
frown.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #23 of 102
Quote:

mh believes that the wa2 being an otl amp is not a good match for the lcd3. i don't have a view on that. and it wasn't just the lcd3's shelved down treble that concerned me. It sounded flat, there was a lack of air around instruments and an absence of soundstage. that along with its design, made listening to it a suffocating experience for me and i was relieved to take it off.
frown.gif

Are you sure that wasn't the weight? LoL, While these are your impressions and valid for you, these are certainly in the minority (like your strong appreciation of the W5000s...which I see the thread over there was finally updated for the first time in a few years 
wink_face.gif
). You're preferences and what you look for are obviously different than mine, thus the differences in opinion.

The quickness, instrumental separation and tonality of the LCD-3s are unequalled compared to any other headphone I've heard. I was using them tonight with some Patricia Barber and my GS-X and A-Bing with my HD800s consistently had me going back to the LCD-3s. This is the advantage of having them on hand at home for extended lengths where one can do this from time to time with music you know like the back of their hand. Imaging, while not as wide as the HD800s...but then again nothing is, was on par with my T1s). Amping BTW is only part of the solution...sources can be even more important. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 102
Quote:
Two hours don't equal weeks at home listening quietly with one's music collection. 
wink.gif
 That said, they may not be for you. But at least we can agree that the W3000s are great headphones.

i listened to my own music collection. lol! why would anyone buy an expensive headphone to listen to at home after not being impressed by it at audition? the hd800 and ps1000 did impress me at audition under the same listening conditions. given that the op is seeking advice and i've listened to all three phones on the same model amp that he owns, i felt obliged to chime in with my experience.
smile.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #26 of 102
Quote:
Are you sure that wasn't the weight? LoL, While these are your impressions and valid for you, these are certainly in the minority (like your strong appreciation of the W5000s...which I see the thread over there was finally updated for the first time in a few years 
wink_face.gif
). You're preferences and what you look for are obviously different than mine, thus the differences in opinion.

The quickness, instrumental separation and tonality of the LCD-3s are unequalled compared to any other headphone I've heard. I was using them tonight with some Patricia Barber and my GS-X and A-Bing with my HD800s consistently had me going back to the LCD-3s. This is the advantage of having them on hand at home for extended lengths where one can do this from time to time with music you know like the back of their hand. Imaging, while not as wide as the HD800s...but then again nothing is, was on par with my T1s). Amping BTW is only part of the solution...sources can be even more important. 

i don't judge headphones on popularity. i wouldn't know if my impression of the lcd3 is a minority view or not and i don't care. but i'm pretty sure that my opinion wouldn't be welcome in your lcd3 appreciation thread.
wink.gif
i know that i'm not the only person at this forum who isn't taken with the lcd3. it's just a matter of opinion based on personal preference as you say, and yours is no more valid than mine.

and i wish that you could get past your fixation with me not hating the w5000 as you do. it's totally bizarre and completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread, yet you keep harping on about it - too weird.

as i recall, you were critical of me in the w3000anv thread for offering an opinion of the lcd3 based on listening to it via the wa2. you were emphatic that the wa2 was not a suitable match for the lcd3 because it is an otl amp, but that doesn't seem to be as important to you now. as far as source goes, it was a laptop playing lossless files in foobar, which was connected to the audio-gd reference 7.1 dac as i told you. i listened to the hd800, ps1000 and lcd3 on that set-up and that was the basis of my assessment.

had the lcd3 performed as well as the other two phones i would have sung its praises, but it didn't. honestly, i thought there might have been something wrong with it. maybe there was - i really don't know. i'm prepared to give it another audition on a different rig but that won't change its design, which is huge, heavy and somewhat claustrophobic for me.

i see little sense in buying a headphone costing over $1900 that i didn't particularly like at the store and taking it home in the hope that it might grow on me, but maybe that's just me.
confused_face%281%29.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #27 of 102
My point with you being a fan of the W5000 is to give the OP a perspective point for your opinions. As I mentioned, its such a "treble happy" headphone that its completely flawed from my perspective. I don't just pick on the W5000s for this issue, I've also mentioned my similar distaste for the SRH940s, K701s, ER-4P/S and a few others. They are suffer from a similar lack of "realness". Thus one who would prefer this signature wouldn't like the Audeze sound; but would extol the virtues of say the PS1000 (another treble happy headphone IMO). I, in no way suggested you spend your money on the hopes of a headphone growing on you, but it very well could....like it did with me 
wink_face.gif
.  See, when I got my LCD-2s a few years back I wasn't sure what to make of them. I knew initially that I preferred my T1s. But over the next few weeks of listening and comparing, I came to the exact opposite conclusion.

Regardless, based on your tastes, I would say that these cans aren't for you; regardless of how darn well they measure (which I'd hate to get into all over again). 

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #28 of 102
I really could not justify paying double for the lcd3s over the lcd2s. My source material and hardware (LYR and Bifrost) are not the top of the line in the industry, but they sure make my LCD2s sound fantastic.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #29 of 102
Quote:
My point with you being a fan of the W5000 is to give the OP a perspective point for your opinions. As I mentioned, its such a "treble happy" headphone that its completely flawed from my perspective. I don't just pick on the W5000s for this issue, I've also mentioned my similar distaste for the SRH940s, K701s, ER-4P/S and a few others. They are suffer from a similar lack of "realness". Thus one who would prefer this signature wouldn't like the Audeze sound; but would extol the virtues of say the PS1000 (another treble happy headphone IMO). I, in no way suggested you spend your money on the hopes of a headphone growing on you, but it very well could....like it did with me 
wink_face.gif
.  See, when I got my LCD-2s a few years back I wasn't sure what to make of them. I knew initially that I preferred my T1s. But over the next few weeks of listening and comparing, I came to the exact opposite conclusion.

Regardless, based on your tastes, I would say that these cans aren't for you; regardless of how darn well they measure (which I'd hate to get into all over again). 

lol. you make your intense dislike of the w5000 known at any and every opportunity, and you've even manufactured one in this thread based on my assessment of the lcd3. there's not even a tenuous connection to be made there but that hasn't stopped you from trying. you are the one who brought up the w5000 here and it's completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread, which relates to the hd800, ps1000 and the ld3. i can't fathom your thinking.

you've also conveniently overlooked the fact that we both like the w3000anv and that like you, i prefer it to the w5000. i also rate the hd800 very highly as you obviously do. and this might come as a surprise given that you presume to know my taste in headphones so well, but i actually preferred the lcd2 to the lcd3, and it also has shelved down treble - go figure!

i'm not in the market for an lcd3, but the op is and that's why i offered him my opinion after comparing it to the hd800 (which he already owns) and the ps1000, which he is also considering purchasing.

the hd800 measures "darn well" too and the ps1000 doesn't, but i was more impressed with them both than the lcd3 via the wa2, which the op also owns. i thought that might be relevant and of interest to him, but you appear to have taken exception to my opinion. just as you did in the w3000anv thread when i made the mistake of mentioning the w5000 without damning it.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #30 of 102
Simple point, those who think the W5000s, SRH940s, K701, ER4Ps sound natural, likely will never get the Audeze house sound. The W3000s are a different ball game altogether as are the HD800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back