Senn HD 558 vs Fidelio X1 vs HiFiMan He 400
Jul 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #47 of 56
Not everyone thinks that the HE-400s have a "midrange issue." Not everyone wants forward mids.
wink.gif

Yep...just not for me based on my listening experience with them.  Hopefully that was clear from how I framed it.  

That said, many people on Head-Fi and other forums do have that feeling regarding the 400s midrange while others love them.

That's really why I encouraged him to listen for himself.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #48 of 56
Well, thanks so much for your comments. Actually the comment from GearMe on the first page of this thread was the reason for me to question whether or not would be the he-400 good for me so I am really glad that you had something to say :D

Anyway ... Waiting for 400i is out of the question and the biggest reason for it is the price. If I went for something as expensive as the 400i i could probably afford the he-500 or even senn hd700 - av stuff is really strangely priced here in Czech Republic

This damned country is also reason why mad dogs are out of the question - not sold here and I am not a huge fan of international shipping - I am just scared

Unfortunately enough listening to he-400 is impossible as well. The only place where I could listen to them is literally across the whole country.

So I ended up with 3 options
1) safe bet on 880 - get very comfortable headphones with sound that I would most likely enjoy and that are also a lot cheaper
2) get the he-400 until they are all sold out :D
Many people say that the sound is much better compared to 880s, also I would really like to get orthos and I would really appreciate removable cable. Also I would be able to run them from the fiio e10 for a few weeks until I would be able to get better amp( unlike the option 3).
3) get hd600 - only interesting because of the same price as he-400 - however very improbable. I don't know much about the sound signature and I would probably have to get much better amp

So I guess I will most likely get the he-400 , give them proper burn in and see. And if the sound ends up being real disappointment I can still return them within 14 days - but I think I am going to like them - I definitely hope so.

Sorry for such a long post and thanks again for your replies. :) I value the opinion of GearMe very much, unfortunately I just don't have the option to try them and they still have many reasons to be a good blind pick.

Martin

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #49 of 56
I think the reviews in this Battle of the Flagships thread do a pretty good job of describing some of the different headphones you are considering :)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #50 of 56
Well, thanks so much for your comments. Actually the comment from GearMe on the first page of this thread was the reason for me to question whether or not would be the he-400 good for me so I am really glad that you had something to say
biggrin.gif

Anyway ... Waiting for 400i is out of the question and the biggest reason for it is the price. If I went for something as expensive as the 400i i could probably afford the he-500 or even senn hd700 - av stuff is really strangely priced here in Czech Republic

This damned country is also reason why mad dogs are out of the question - not sold here and I am not a huge fan of international shipping - I am just scared

Unfortunately enough listening to he-400 is impossible as well. The only place where I could listen to them is literally across the whole country.

So I ended up with 3 options
1) safe bet on 880 - get very comfortable headphones with sound that I would most likely enjoy and that are also a lot cheaper
2) get the he-400 until they are all sold out
biggrin.gif

Many people say that the sound is much better compared to 880s, also I would really like to get orthos and I would really appreciate removable cable. Also I would be able to run them from the fiio e10 for a few weeks until I would be able to get better amp( unlike the option 3).
3) get hd600 - only interesting because of the same price as he-400 - however very improbable. I don't know much about the sound signature and I would probably have to get much better amp

So I guess I will most likely get the he-400 , give them proper burn in and see. And if the sound ends up being real disappointment I can still return them within 14 days - but I think I am going to like them - I definitely hope so.

Sorry for such a long post and thanks again for your replies.
smily_headphones1.gif
I value the opinion of GearMe very much, unfortunately I just don't have the option to try them and they still have many reasons to be a good blind pick.

Martin

No problem...I hope you really enjoy them.  I honestly do believe the community is split on these cans.  

FWIW, I do think the 400s are a nice set of headphones.  My issue is that I want the whole package when I buy my set of orthos.  Hearing the 500s made it impossible for me to settle on the 400s.  

I ended up deciding between the 880s and the Q701s to round out my mid-tier cans with a neutral all-rounder.  I chose the Q701s and am happy I got those!  Now I'm saving for Black Friday in the US; also hoping the HE500s drop another $100.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #51 of 56
Thanks for that battle of the flagship post! I find it really amazing that all of the 3 HP optionsgot the same A+ rating. It really made me excited about the HD600 so i seriously consider them. However i crossed out the dt880. I believe they are great, but i would really like to get either He-400 or HD600. I will have to think this through and i will probably order one of them in the upcoming week or two. I will post my impressions later on. Thanks alot again for all your helping comments and opinions. :) 
o2smile.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #52 of 56
Well, if you get stuck deciding between the two, here are two considerations that might weigh toward the HE-400s:

1) Razordog has open box HE-400s for $239. He's a great vendor. I've bought open box from him before and would do so for the HE-400s if I didn't already have pair. At that price, hard to argue that the HE-400s aren't the better price/performance value.

2) Get the velour pads, too, for the HE-400s. Then you get to choose between two slightly different sound signatures: velour pads or leather.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #53 of 56
If i get the he-400 i will definitely get the velour pads. I believe the should be more comfortable and also improve the sound. 
Unfortunately i cant get them at that amazing deal :frowning2: 
Price of the both HP equals about 420 dollars here - and that is after the priced droped to 300 in US
I would give a chance to international shiping, but i would have to pay WAT and expensive shipping anyway and i if something would happen it wouldnt be easy with warranty. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #54 of 56
If i get the he-400 i will definitely get the velour pads. I believe the should be more comfortable and also improve the sound. 
Unfortunately i cant get them at that amazing deal :frowning2: 
Price of the both HP equals about 420 dollars here - and that is after the priced droped to 300 in US
I would give a chance to international shiping, but i would have to pay WAT and expensive shipping anyway and i if something would happen it wouldnt be easy with warranty. 

That's too bad about price. Any luck with Head-Direct? (HiFiMan's store)? Here is the HE-400 on Ebay from Head-Direct where they do worldwide shipping and you can estimate it. Could be it would work out better for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Head-Direct-HIFIMAN-HE-400-Headphone-Earphone-FREE-SHIPPING-/251074904952

Also, you might check in the HE-400 thread and see if they know what Head-Direct declares the value at for international shipping. Some of the Chinese vendors do you a favor in that regard :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #56 of 56
Well of course it's a 'personal opinion', everything here is! I found the 990s to be unbearably bright. It could be that the the HE400 is just as bright but is redeemed by its insane resolution, but I can't say that's been my experience...

The is my experience, as well. I'm comparing the HE-400 to the 250 Ohm "Pro" version of the 990, but the HE-400 doesn't sound as bright to me. The DT880 (600 Ohm Premium) is a nice balance but not as fun as the HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back