Senn HD 558 vs Fidelio X1 vs HiFiMan He 400
Jun 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #31 of 56
When I compare HE-400 measurements from Innerfidelity and DT990 measurements from Golden Ear (which I know is problematic to compare), DT 990s seem to have much more of a treble peak.

True, the 990 has a prominant peak at 10k, but the HE 4 has a a rather forward series of peaks from 8-14k ish, still though the DT 990 does at it highest point peak higher, non the less it's never as "tizzy" as the HE 400 is with that extra bit of 12khz+ 

I found them to my ears to be equally "bright" although I enjoy bright cans

eitehr way the DT 990 at $150, paired with the $120 Schiit Vali is a hell of a bargin, ofc for the price of a DT 990 and Vali, you could also just get an HE 400, which needs an amp, preferably a warm one like the DT 990 does, not sure if the Vali does it, but a lot of ppl like the Hifimans out of the Porject Garage Amps 

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #32 of 56
Jun 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #33 of 56
So you know, I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing. The DT990 Pro is not the same as the DT990 Premium, and even that comes in 32,250,and 600 ohm flavors. My only experience is with the 600 ohm version, and I've heard that the others are less bright

I always heard the 600 ohm DT 990 was the blackest and had the least treble right? Or was it brighter! I would think the DT 990 Pro would be a smidge less bright due to the extra clamp of the headphone giving ya a smidge more bass n mids

but honestly, for the price, and atm the 600 ohm preium DT 990 is $379 new, so for $379 a NEW dt 990 Preium 600 Ohm is a total RIP! How ever the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm has been $150 for like years, and at that price [espically in todays economy] the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm is the only one you should be looking at buying, for the price of the Preuim DT 990 600 ohm you could have a friggin NEW Hifiman HE 400, 

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #34 of 56
Yeah, I can't recommend the DT990 at today's prices. The going price was much closer to $300 just a few months ago. I guess Beyerdynamic stepped in and 'set' a new minimum price among its authorized dealers. At $150, even I'm curious about the Pro version. I like its styling a lot more, that's for sure...

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #35 of 56
Yeah, I can't recommend the DT990 at today's prices. The going price was much closer to $300 just a few months ago. I guess Beyerdynamic stepped in and 'set' a new minimum price among its authorized dealers. At $150, even I'm curious about the Pro version. I like its styling a lot more, that's for sure...

YES man! For $150 the Pro is a TOTAL STEAL, why I don't know but do try it! For the money there is no comparing the pro to the Preium 

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #36 of 56
True, the 990 has a prominant peak at 10k, but the HE 4 has a a rather forward series of peaks from 8-14k ish, still though the DT 990 does at it highest point peak higher, non the less it's never as "tizzy" as the HE 400 is with that extra bit of 12khz+ 

The treble on the HE-400 is also not as piercing either. LOL

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #38 of 56
Hey guys!
In the end I went for the Hifiman HE400. Got a cheap used pair (almost mint condition) in ebay.

Well... I just got it yesterday, so I've just listened for a short while. No issues at all with comfort, but I didn't feel the sound to be that great. As stated previously, I use a Fiio e10. They sound pretty loud whit the gain switch in the High position, so I can say volume is not an issue for the E10. However the sound was not that good, or at least, not as I expected. The seller claimed they had only been used for like 20 hours (and they actually look like they are brand new), and I've read somewhere that these need much longer for burn-in, so now I'm wondering if it could be that a) they actually need the burn-in time or b) The Fiio E10 can handle the volume but not get the best quality for them.

Overall, they sound good, although I don't know how to describe it, but I feel the sound is more "compact" than the Senn HD 598 (which were my current ones). I feel the 598 more "spatious" so to speak.

I'll listen to them for a longer time tonight, so maybe I'll have a different opinion by tomorrow, but maybe someone can comment if the E10 is in fact a good option to drive them, or if they could get better sound from another source. As I said before, I am open to get some amp/dac in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #39 of 56
After some days of use, I must say the first impression is gone. They have actually come to sound much better. Soon after I wrote last post, I tried to listen to the cans straight from a Samsung Galaxy Player. They sounded really low, definitely an amp is needed. I tried a Fiio E6, and they sounded loud and fine. Really fine as a matter of fact. Better than with the E10, so I kept using them with the E6 for a while, both with the galaxy and in the PC. Listening carefully, however, I noticed some kind of static, so eventually I went back to the E10, and now they sounded much better.
However, they are not very forgiving of lower quality recordings. Not with bitrate, but with the recording per se. I have 128 or 192 kbps files which sound loud and clear, while some 256 or upper (even some FLACs ripped from CDs) do not sound that great, so although they can be played without problem with a cheap Fiio E6, I would only recommend them for material with good recording quality.
As for comfort, some people find them heavy,  but I don't think that bothers at all in my case.
Overall, I'm pleased with them, so they will be my official cans for a good while.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #41 of 56
Oh, and if you ever get the chance, try them with a stronger desktop amp. You may find that the extra power increases their performance. They are just so insensitive.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #42 of 56
I surely will, but it'll have to wait a while as I save some cash
biggrin.gif

any suggestion for an amp? I've read they perform quite nice with the modi/magni.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #44 of 56
Oh jeez, this thread really mixed up my feelings 
triportsad.gif
. I just happen to have E10 and the HD558 and i wanted to upgrade to he-400 as well :D and the more i read about them the more confused i am. So many people have different opinions on the sound. Could you guys give me your opinion on their sound ? I really like the forward mids of 558.. Also could you tell me how did they sound change after being burned in ??? 
Thanks so much for any feedback. I really cant decide if the he-400 would be a great pair of HP for me. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #45 of 56
  Oh jeez, this thread really mixed up my feelings 
triportsad.gif
. I just happen to have E10 and the HD558 and i wanted to upgrade to he-400 as well :D and the more i read about them the more confused i am. So many people have different opinions on the sound. Could you guys give me your opinion on their sound ? I really like the forward mids of 558.. Also could you tell me how did they sound change after being burned in ??? 
Thanks so much for any feedback. I really cant decide if the he-400 would be a great pair of HP for me. 

Please take this comment with a grain of salt...given the relatively short time I spent with the HE400s.  That said, it was more than enough time for me to discern a clear direction on my 'first orthos' question.

I've owned the 558s for a while now and like them a lot for their mids, timbre, comfort, etc.  I had an extended listening session at a shop starting with the HE400s and then moving to the 500s.  The impression I came away with was that I did not want to buy the 400s -- I wanted very much to like them but didn't like the midrange (bass was great!).  

Then -- I put the HE500s on.  I am saving to buy these...even though they're twice as expensive!

I'd really encourage finding a way to listen to the HE400s to see if their sound signature is right for you.  As you've seen, people either love them...or not so much.

EDIT: one other thing I've read is that the HE400i's are supposed to fix the midrange issues.  Another option might be Mad Dogs (https://mrspeakers.com/product/mad-dog-leather-alpha-pads-comfort-strap/); haven't heard them, but they get rave reviews and seem to be a high-value option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back