Sending in Etys for repair, Joining Team Sennheiser, and other questions
Mar 31, 2002 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
Recently the insulation under the right (red) phone of the Etys has torn and exposed the bare wire underneath. I just sent an email to etymotic.com asking if I could send them in for repair even though I've had them for a while already. Do you guys think Etymotic will repair them for me?

Whether Etymotic repairs them or not, I don't intend to use the Etys with that torn wire. SO I've considered buying a pair of HD600s. However, the only amp I have to drive them is a JMT built CHA 47 that was optimized to drive the Etys. So one of the questions I have is: Will the CHA 47 drive the Senns adaquately?

I think I am going to forego buying the traveler bag from Headroom just to be able to afford the HD600, and then I'm going to put the whole thing in a backpack, like Audio&Me.

Another question: Exactly what kind of deal does Jan Meier put together if you get the HD600s and the Corda amp? If it's a super good deal, I may just get both.

And one last thing, to tide myself over because of the slightly broken Etys, I plugged my trusty Grado SR-60s into Xin Feng's Ety 4p to 4s adapter and drove them with the CHA 47. This greatly improved the sound. Everything sounded smoother and sweeter. However, the typical Grado warmth was very present as compared to my Etys, and I finally started to understand why everyone was saying that these headphone were fatiguing. My ears hurt somewhat after listening for a while, because of the in-your-face sound.

Well, thanks for reading. I hope that I can get some answers to this dilemma.

Mar 31, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 17
Ask JMT if he'll change yours to a larger case so that you can use two 9V batteries, and set a higher gain (mine's at 8.5db). You'll get clipping if you set the volume too high, I turn the knob quarter way, most would probably turn half way.

I'd recommend Panasonic SL-CT570 for portable use, as it's got linear 10 sec anti-skip, works like a charm.
smily_headphones1.gif
A good mini-mini cable should also be used, if you use RatShack one, you'll get grainy sound (and sometimes fatiguing depending on your source).

Mar 31, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Eh, if it is just the cable that broke, it can be replaced, since the cable is detachable... maybe etymotic can send you a new cable or you can use fixup's cable or something...

Mar 31, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 17
So I would have to send my amp again to JMT, to get him to adjust to drive the Senns adaquately? hMm.......And then I might have to send away to etymotic for the cable replacement (or send away to fixup)......maybe I'm blowing this all out of proportion but it sounds like more trouble than I wanted to deal with.....

Will another portable amp like the porta corda drive the HD600s well? Because I may just order the HD600s and another amp later. We'll see. I don't want to give up on my Etys. They're far and away my favorite phones, (even though I don't have that much of a selection to choose from, my only others being Grado SR-60s)

Anyone know of a portable amp I could buy that can drive the HD600s well?

Mar 31, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 17
If you have a JMT amp for Ety's 4S, it should be sufficient for HD600. Of course you can ask wheter or not there are any more noticable differences.

Also you can just pick up a replacement cord from Fixup which has lower microphonics to boot. You need to send it in only if you are not confident of replacing the cord yourself. It is of course your choice. Of course find out of Etymotic will do it without charge (otherwise I would personally opt for the Fixup cord). Actually I opt for the Fixup cord even with a perfectly working stock.

Mar 31, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 17
go ahead and get the sennheiser even if you get the etymotics fixed (which I would very much recommend).

I think you will find that the HD-600 will be desirable in some circumstances, and the etymotics in others. I think they would compliment each other well, and I think you would find uses for both.

I don't care what anyone else says, I think you will do fine driving the HD-600 with whatever you have available. Get the HD-600 and be happy driving it with your JMT or the headphone jack or whatever else you have available. It will sound great, and I think you will be pleased with the performance they will give you on that until you have money to get another JMT for the HD-600 or something bigger.

Do yourself a favor and get the HD-600!

Driftwood
(Sennheiser's unpaid salesperson)

Mar 31, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 17
So you guys are saying that the JMT should have no problem driving the Senns, ok. I had a feeling that would be the case. I mean, I was happy driving the Ety 4p's w/ 4s adapter with just my Sony D-25S.

I do of course plan on getting a different amp to power them later on. That's why I was asking about the deals that Jan Meier puts together. If he can get me an ok price on a HD600 and porta corda, or corda, then I may just do it that way. Anyone here know of the packages he puts together?

I don't know whether or not to go crazy right now and get the Senns off Ebay for 239.00 or wait for a lower price or what....Damn you Head'fiers and you're recommendations.....Especially you Driftwood.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Eh, Jan's prices for the HD600 is lower than $239... $220 in fact... I hear the HD580s are very very similar, and if you are feeling really cheap it would do...

Mar 31, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Flurk, If you don't get the cable fixed on your Ety's I have a nice home that will gladly adopt them and provide them with all the loving care and joyous music that a pair of lonely headphones deserve.

Just let me know and we can draw up the adoption papers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 17
woah woah... don't pay $239.00 for them on ebay.
Hans der Baer on ebay sells the HD-600 for $200, and I can vouch for his reliability. He sends his products out VERY fast (less than 6 hours for me after the auction ended) and it was very quick shipment.

I would probably order from Jan though if I had to do it again though, because it is probably about the same price (though maybe a little more hassle and a little slower shipping) because he is a member of the head-fi community whereas hans is not.

Get the HD-600 and let us have a comparison to your etymotics (once you get the cord fixed)

Driftwood

Apr 1, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 17
Flurk,

When you order multiple items from Meier, the shipping price is combined so you get a slightly reduced total. Nothing major but it helps.

If you're thinking of the Corda amp, I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT931 over the Sennheiser HD600. The 120ohm jack of the Corda tames the "brightness" complaints that some people had with the DT931. They're overall very comparable headphones but the 931 doesn't have recessed vocals and the bass, although not quite as deep as the HD600, is more controlled and tight when using the Corda amp.

From the threads in the forum, the Sennheiser HD590 also sounds like a good bet and would drive well from the JMT amp since it's only 120ohms.

Apr 1, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
woah woah... don't pay $239.00 for them on ebay.
Hans der Baer on ebay sells the HD-600 for $200, and I can vouch for his reliability. He sends his products out VERY fast (less than 6 hours for me after the auction ended) and it was very quick shipment.

I would probably order from Jan though if I had to do it again though, because it is probably about the same price (though maybe a little more hassle and a little slower shipping) because he is a member of the head-fi community whereas hans is not.

Get the HD-600 and let us have a comparison to your etymotics (once you get the cord fixed)

Driftwood

And how do I get in contact with Hans der Baer?

Apr 1, 2002 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 17
And what's with this Head-Fi only elitism?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 1, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 17
You know what, scratch everything. I believe that I am just going to use the money that I would have spent on the HD600s and get the replacement cord for the Etys from fixup, the traveler bag from headroom, and the potable straightwire mini mini. Then I will have a perfect portable setup and then I am going to start saving up for the Senns. No sense rushing into anything. Thanks for all your help guys and thanks Driftwood for the link to hans on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back