Sen HD280 vs Ultrasone DJ1Pro
Dec 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GoDJr

New Head-Fier
Hey I'm out looking for a new set of cans and I've looked around a lot and it seems everyone raves about both of these. Ive tried the sens HD280 they sounded great but they felt buly  but i really want to hear the ultrasones the reviews I've read are impressive but i can't find them around here. I really want to know if the difference in sound between the two is that noticeable specially the bass. I don't DJ or anything i just want the best sound, durability and portability, as i study my life away. Also i listen to all kinds of music from rap and hip hop to pop and classical and jazz and even some foreign music.

Has anyone tried both pairs?

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 5
I've tried the Senn 280 pros, and while I haven't tried the DJ1 Pros, I do own a pair of Pro 750's, and am pretty familiar with the Ultrasone House sound.

The Sennheiser 280s are much more balanced then the Ultrasones. Sennheiser's house sound is usually more balanced with much less of an emphasis on the U shaped sound curve you would find on an Ultrasone. Ultrasone is more of what you would call a "fun" can, it has a colored sound signature meant to emphasize the bass and treble, making things seem more dynamic and exciting. Unfortunately, they're not as accurate, and because they emphasize the treble and bass, the mids seem recessed somewhat. Which isn't as good for some genres of music that rely on the midrange.
The Ultrasone bass, though, is bloody fantastic. It's clean, punchy, and tight. It's some of the best bass I've ever heard. However, Ultrasone is very much a love or hate sound.

Since you listen to so many genres (I'm in the same boat), the Senns would be better for some, the Ultrasones would be better for others. What would matter more is what kind of headphone you would prefer, balanced or colored.

Also, if you're looking at the DJ1 Pros, I might also take a look at the HFI-780's on amazon since they're so cheap right now. They're also pretty highly regarded by people that like the Ultrasone sound.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Im not going to lie when i heard the HD280's they sounded a bit flat on the bass side but i think its cause they were playing a crap demo cd hooked up to a old DJ board so i need to go re listen to them. So i was leaning towards the dynamic sound But im still not sure if i want it because ive heard about the mids being recessed.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't want to influence your buying decision in any negative way, but I always thought the 280 pros sounded flat as well. My roommate had a pair and while I thought they were pretty comfy (they have deep cups, so your ears don't touch the casing in front of the driver), I didn't think they were too exciting. That being said, I was used to the Pro 750's at the time (and am now), which is a pretty colored headphone. He loved them, though, and I have another friend who just picked up a pair as well. It all depends on what music you listen to, and what kind of sound signature you like. Though your music tastes will probably be slightly modified by what headphones you have. I notice that I begin to like genres that are more compatible with my headphones more.

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Actually i thought the same thing when i was listening to the HD208s lol and you know what the U shaped EQ isnt that bad i think i might just go for it lol I didnt think buying headphones would be this difficult, but once you start researching its just left and right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back