Sen HD 595 - 600 or Beyer 770 - 990 PRO need advice
Mar 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

headnik

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

First of all I prefer listening  over the speakers so I have never used headphones seriously. Now since my situation is different I will need headphones for some time. My taste is : as much natural sound as possible, close to flat response precise sound in every mean. To elaborate definition in the bass as well, perfect mids and not overexposed but present and defined highs. Listening all kind of music from jazz to rock electo and classic.  Since I am building a headphone system from a scratch I would use portable source and latter on add some amp and dac to the system. So I have investigate for some time and chose those models : Sen HD 595 - 600 or beyer HD 770 - 990 and that is my budget for head audio right now. 

I don't need closed design but that could be good think to have in some cases. I have never heard  any of those models.
Now buying just by reading reviews and studying fr responses is not good. I have some idea of the sound, however that's just a scratch. To be honest I think that regarding my taste the pair of Sen 595 or 600 will be suitable. On the other hand there is not much bass on them as on 770 990 for more complex orchestra electronic etc ... Eventually  I am concern about the 770 midrange because that's one of the most important part of the music as well. Now I am thinking about B 990 more and more... Ah sweet pain again :)  

I forget to mention that the soundstage is most important as well as 3D presentation  if those thinks exists in the headphones :) Some advice from those who had those models and compare them would be great help.   

Thank you in advance 

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 25

Quote:
First of all I prefer listening  over the speakers so I have never used headphones seriously. Now since my situation is different I will need headphones for some time. My taste is : as much natural sound as possible, close to flat response precise sound in every mean. To elaborate definition in the bass as well, perfect mids and not overexposed but present and defined highs. Listening all kind of music from jazz to rock electo and classic.  Since I am building a headphone system from a scratch I would use portable source and latter on add some amp and dac to the system. So I have investigate for some time and chose those models : Senn HD 595 - 600 or Beyer HD 770 - 990 and that is my budget for head audio right now. 
I don't need closed design but that could be good think to have in some cases. I have never heard  any of those models.
Now buying just by reading reviews and studying fr responses is not good. I have some idea of the sound, however that's just a scratch. To be honest I think that regarding my taste the pair of Sen 595 or 600 will be suitable. On the other hand there is not much bass on them as on 770 990 for more complex orchestra electronic etc ... Eventually  I am concern about the 770 mid range because that's one of the most important part of the music as well. Now I am thinking about B 990 more and more... Ah sweet pain again :)  
I forget to mention that the sound stage is most important as well as 3D presentation  if those thinks exists in the headphones :) Some advice from those who had those models and compare them would be great help.   

Sennheiser HD595. slightly order model.
The HD558 & HD598 are newer.
Beyer DT770-DT990 really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.
The Senn HD600 are 300-Ohm, I'm guess they need a decent amp. to work well.
DT990 are more about full bass & full treble, great headphones for action movies,
Nothing wrong with the mids (clear), but nothing outstanding either.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 25

Sennheiser HD595, the HD558 & HD598 are newer. Yes, made a mistake but those models also should be quite similar. 

Beyer DT770 PRO comes in 32 up to 250 ohm so it could be used directly  let's say 80 ohm version...

DT990 are more about full bass & full treble - if so I am not into that at all. 

Then I should name the thread Senn HD 598 vs DT770 PRO 80 ohm - just try to narrow the choice  

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Sennheiser HD595, the HD558 & HD598 are newer. Yes, made a mistake but those models also should be quite similar. 
Beyer DT770 PRO comes in 32 up to 250 ohm so it could be used directly  let's say 80 ohm version...
Then I should name the thread Senn HD 598 vs DT770 PRO 80 ohm - just try to narrow the choice  

I should have said the HD595 is slightly older model then the HD558 & HD598.
Even the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm needs to be decently powered, even using a Fiio E6 would help.
Senn HD598s 6 months ago could sell for $170, now there $250.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 25

Quote:

You can get the HD 598 for $250 and the DT 770 Pro for $177.  The Senn is a better all around can, but the Beyer, which is also good, is the better value.  The Beyer has more peaky highs and more bass.  The Senn is better in all other respects--more balanced & neutral but musical--and its sound stage is in an entirely different class than the closed 770.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 25

I should have said the HD595 is slightly older model then the HD558 & HD598.
Even the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm needs to be decently powered, even using a Fiio E6 would help.
Senn HD598s 6 months ago could sell for $170, now there $250.

Yes I will consider Fiio l E7 or E17 as portable and overal good as a permanent solution, but I need to pickup the can's first. So since the price go up that should mean something, or like in hi-fi doesn't mean a thing 

You can get the HD 598 for $250 and the DT 770 Pro for $177.  The Senn is a better all around can, but the Beyer, which is also good, is the better value.  The Beyer has more peaky highs and more bass.  The Senn is better in all other respects--more balanced & neutral but musical--and its sound stage is in an entirely different class than the closed 770.

This is really useful description. So Senn Hd598 has bigger soundstage then DT770 by every mean ? I mean one could expect that since the open back design, same for the lack of bass, but then again more question's :

In practice how much will open back phones affect people around you in the same room and vice versa ? 
Could I use HD770 in public places as well or they are just so big and inappropriate ?

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is really useful description. So Senn Hd598 has bigger soundstage then DT770 by every mean ? I mean one could expect that since the open back design, same for the lack of bass, but then again more question's :

If you are looking for bass and soundstage (and do not mind getting some treble as well), I recommend the DT990. But the DT770 is actually not that bad for a well isolating closed headphone. The E17 should be fine for the 250 Ohm Pro versions.

Quote:

In practice how much will open back phones affect people around you in the same room and vice versa ? 

It depends on how loud you listen. If you like to really turn up the volume, open headphones can leak quite a bit, as if they were small speakers.

Quote:

Could I use HD770 in public places as well or they are just so big and inappropriate ?

It is 270g, and not very large or heavy, but not small either (here is a picture showing it worn, the DT990 is the same size), however, it does not fold or have other features for portability.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 25
open backs leak enough sound to annoy those near you. you'll hear everything around you as well.

the HD600 are an excellent all rounder, but they're open. I use these as my go-to open can.
DT 990 Pro 250Ω are also open, but verrrrry fun sounding, with a lot of bass for an open can.

the DT 770 Pro 80Ω are closed, isolate well, are extremely comfortable, and don't need an amp.
they do a pretty good job with all genre's, but i'd recommend you demo them first to see if you like their sound signature.
for about $180, they're a good value, and they still get considerable play time from me.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 25
Today, I had a chance to test Senheiser HD 558 and Grado SR i125, It was unknown setup from some local store. ( the one that you press the button and listen) Since I was not aware of the material and setup it is hard to judge. I have to admit that I was somehow disappointed by HD558. They sounded too narrow and flat almost uninteresting. Somehow different material sound like the same, piano is not full and rich and many other instruments that should have good timbre. Performance is like happening in the mid range only. There are a lot of details but highs are also on the sweet side laid back with something that could be called as a bass but nothing to impress me. On the other hand Grado is more interested and got you on the first tone. Deeper bas, opened highs, rich sound with details. I can't say more since i need familiar materials and source to elaborate. Overall I was not impressed much by both models. 

And about open back design it is true, I could hear every one and they could here me as well. It could be annoying for sure. Soundstage was ok on both models but the interaction of others in the listening is just not good. 

I am listening on low levels, and I think that I would like to go with closed design since it provide more isolation and that could be useful in many situations.

stv014 thank you for the pics, they looks good and could be used sometimes in the public or airplane and that will give them more hours of listening for sure.  

I have to find a pair of DT770 for a test run now...  

the DT 770 Pro 80Ω are closed, isolate well, are extremely comfortable, and don't need an amp.
they do a pretty good job with all genre's, but i'd recommend you demo them first to see if you like their sound signature.
for about $180, they're a good value, and they still get considerable play time from me.

Can  you explain more about their signature of sound ? What is going on in the midrange regarding the good base and highs ?

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Today, I had a chance to test Senheiser HD 558 and Grado SR i125, It was unknown setup from some local store. (the one that you press the button and listen) Since I was not aware of the material and setup it is hard to judge. I have to admit that I was somehow disappointed by HD558. They sounded too narrow and flat almost uninteresting. Somehow different material sound like the same, piano is not full and rich and many other instruments that should have good timbre. Performance is like happening in the mid range only. There are a lot of details but highs are also on the sweet side laid back with something that could be called as a bass but nothing to impress me. On the other hand Grado is more interested and got you on the first tone. Deeper bas, opened highs, rich sound with details. I can't say more since i need familiar materials and source to elaborate. Overall I was not impressed much by both models. 
And about open back design it is true, I could hear every one and they could here me as well. It could be annoying for sure. Soundstage was ok on both models but the interaction of others in the listening is just not good. 
I am listening on low levels, and I think that I would like to go with closed design since it provide more isolation and that could be useful in many situations.
stv014 thank you for the pics, they looks good and could be used sometimes in the public or airplane and that will give them more hours of listening for sure.  
Can  you explain more about their signature of sound ? What is going on in the midrange regarding the good base and highs ?

Sennheiser HD558s come with black rubber tape on the insides of the cups, covers about 1/3 of the opening.
Removing the tape gives the cups more "breathing space", closer to what the HD598s are like.
But, I guess it does not matter as your going closed anyway.
Sometimes Beyerdynamic USA sells refurbished DT770 Pro 80-Ohm on eBay, their seller ID on eBay is bd-usa.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
Today, I had a chance to test Senheiser HD 558 and Grado SR i125, It was unknown setup from some local store. ( the one that you press the button and listen) Since I was not aware of the material and setup it is hard to judge. I have to admit that I was somehow disappointed by HD558. They sounded too narrow and flat almost uninteresting. Somehow different material sound like the same, piano is not full and rich and many other instruments that should have good timbre. Performance is like happening in the mid range only. There are a lot of details but highs are also on the sweet side laid back with something that could be called as a bass but nothing to impress me. On the other hand Grado is more interested and got you on the first tone. Deeper bas, opened highs, rich sound with details. I can't say more since i need familiar materials and source to elaborate. Overall I was not impressed much by both models. 

there are tons of reviews on here if you use the search function.
they would give you better descriptions of the 770's sound signature than I could.

also, if you are going for a closed design, consider the Denon D2000, which can be found for ~$215 (they are very well regarded in these parts).

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

also, if you are going for a closed design, consider the Denon D2000, which can be found for ~$215 (they are very well regarded in these parts).

Yes, for that price it is a better value than the DT770, and without an amplifier maybe even cheaper.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Yes, I am familiar with the D2000 But the suggested retail price is $349.99. On e-bay around 270$  where can I find for such a good price ?

Electronics Expo
Denon AH-D2000 $199.97+ $9.99 shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back