Sen HD 595 - 600 or Beyer 770 - 990 PRO need advice
Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #16 of 25
if you read the deals thread (the last last 30 pages or so talk a lot about Denons), you'll see all the places offering deals and their prices.
also, subscribe to that thread and if someone posts a good deal, jump on it (that how I got my D7000's)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/2715

but to save you some time, Electronic Expo and J&R are two of the authorized dealers that will discount the Denons (that I have dealt with).
with EE, you have to check their website frequently, because when they have them in stock, they sell out quickly.
with J&R, you call their number and speak to a rep in person and ask them what is the best price they can sell it for.
people on here have recently reported that they were sold the 2000's for between $210 - $250 shipped. telling them your friend (or people on head-fi) got them shipped for $210 might help.
plus, with both companies you can return them if you don't like how they sound (but double check on that before you purchase).

for a closed set in that price range, the DT 770 Pro-80, and D2000 are the two I would suggest (especially since they both sound pretty good without an amp).

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 25
Hi guys, thank you for all replays. This is really great help. 
I will try to find some good offer for Denon AH-D2000, but I can't test and compare Denon and Beyer in my area.
There are no stores that provide listening of those models. That's not good. I think I will have to "shoot blind" and check
results later on... 

However I was able to find some good deals for Beyer DT770 but only 250 ohm version.
I am now wondering could the Fiio E6 and/or E17 be good for this impedance for the start or should I go with 80 ohm ?  
Could I power 80 ohm version directly from the source or I still need amplification ? 

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
Hi guys, thank you for all replays. This is really great help. 
I will try to find some good offer for Denon AH-D2000, but I can't test and compare Denon and Beyer in my area.
There are no stores that provide listening of those models. That's not good. I think I will have to "shoot blind" and check
results later on... 
However I was able to find some good deals for Beyer DT770 but only 250 ohm version.
I am now wondering could the Fiio E6 and/or E17 be good for this impedance for the start or should I go with 80 ohm ?  
Could I power 80 ohm version directly from the source or I still need amplification ? 

What are the prices on the headphones?
I think the Fiio E11 is a good deal/value.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #20 of 25
Other than electronic / contemp pop I prefer the 598 over the dt770/80.  Although I like Beyerdynamic for making their main line of cans in Germany still, the 598s are just better for most critical listening.  I tend to listen to classical / relaxing music with my headphones and electronic / et al. bassy music in the car... so for me the dt770s don't get to show off their power as much as I'd like.  I knew I was getting them for my bassier tracks, but until I got them I never realized how much I don't really listen to my bassy music with my cans =P

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #21 of 25
Might be, I will try to check 598 since I was not impressed with 595. So it is confirmed that those models are basically the same just the foam inside 595 can;s like older models ? Then the 595 will be better choice with little DIY gymnastics. However the drivers might be different as well even if they look similar... 

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Might be, I will try to check 598 since I was not impressed with 595. So it is confirmed that those models are basically the same just the foam inside 595 can;s like older models ? Then the 595 will be better choice with little DIY gymnastics. However the drivers might be different as well even if they look similar... 

The 5x5's are the older line.

The 5x8's are newer and appear to be improved in both sound and build quality.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #23 of 25
Ah again, mixing frogs and diamonds. But it seems you understand me :)
What is exactly "improved" in the latest models since they look really similar.
New drivers cabling, interior can design or just build quality ? 

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
Ah again, mixing frogs and diamonds. But it seems you understand me :)
What is exactly "improved" in the latest models since they look really similar.
New drivers cabling, interior can design or just build quality ? 

I have heard all three of the 5x8's but none of the 5x5's.  From what I have read, the 8's sound significantly better across the board.  If memory serves, drivers, housings and driver angles are said to have been improved--or at least changed.

Perhaps even more important, many of 5's tended to crack over time and with use.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #25 of 25
Hi, thanks for all details I got mine 770 Pro for fair price.

First impressions good, satisfied but not thrilled... Overall they could reveal album production, different sources and/or file compression etc but they have some kind of a sweet sound in highs, as i can tell. Regarding the bass it is just like it should be, it is changing regarding the source, except when you listen with headphones this is a minus compering to a speakers - it is not pleasant . Mid range is good neutral and detailed but not astonishing details. Overall I could not say they are bad but  I will try with different sources, try some amp and compare them finally with Senn and try to figure out the difference in more details.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back