selected ambient works 85-92----- awesome!
Sep 15, 2003 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

djgustashaw

1000+ Head-Fier
i finally got aphex twin's first album... this stuff is incredible. i know i'm late realizing this, but still. if this stuff is still good today, i can't imagine how it sounded 13 years ago when it was revolutionary.

is there anything out there similar to SAW 85-92? please don't recommend any of aphex twin's later stuff... i seriously can't stand SAW vol 2. waaaay too ambient.

thanks!

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 57
Aphex Twin - On EP
Autechre - Amber, Tri Repetae++
Global Communication - 76:14
Reload - A Collection of Short Stories
LFO - Advance
Orbital - II (the brown album)
Plaid - Double Figure

- Chris

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 57
A little off topic, but I'll share anyways.

Now, don't judge me this early on, but I **cringe**gasp** downloaded a few aphex twin songs. Not much out there really.

But after listening to Milkman and one called Outside(kick ass violin), I'm hooked. I never gave techno much thought before as I felt it never tried giving me much thought. But this is much different! The beats are incredible, and you can tell there's musicianship within the whole song. I just kept smiling larger and larger as I listened. I haven't felt like that since I first heard something like Radiohead-Paranoid Andriod, Miles Davis-Autumn Leaves, or Primus-My Name is Mud. All of these songs started an affair(ask my friends, girlfriend) with there groups/genres.

It's kind of sad, because I've seen Aphex mentioned quite a few times before but I never took a listen. So thank you. I'm going to have to pay more attention to this section of the fourm, and I hope to find more good music.

Sep 15, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 57
I'm glad to see a variety of folks enjoying electronic music. There is so much out there -- and it has such a bad reputation because of the stuff that's played at clubs and on the radio and such. That is garbage. It is the Britney Spears of electronic music.

I am absolutely confident that thirty years from now, many of the more unknown things I listen to will be regarded as classics that were not paid the attention they deserved. Autechre's Chiastic Slide is as complex, beautiful, challenging, and worthwhile as Mozart.

I'm happy to help if anyone has any questions.

- Chris

Sep 15, 2003 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 57
You'll probably want to pick up Polygon Window - Surfing On Sine Waves as well then... its just Richard James under yet another name, very similar ambient stuff, released in 93, should be widely available.

Sep 15, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 57
For Orb Stuff youll want to start out with their first 2 albums and their live album. Mindbending stuff!

Sep 15, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 57
plastikman is quite excellent if you're venturing to the fringes of minimalist electronic music, especially if you enjoy bass-oriented soundscapes. i also second pressmans biosphere recommendation...very good stuff.

listened to quite a bit of aphex twin back in the day...except for SAW, can't stand much of it any more.

Anyways, here are some of my favorites from the genre...these cover a broad electronic spectrum, from _completely_ minimalist to trip hop and breakbeat:

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?
Underworld - Second Toughest In the Infants
Biosphere - Cirque
Funki Porcini - Fast Asleep
Funki Porcini - Hed Phone Sex
Plastikman - Musik
Plastikman - Consumed
Wagon Christ - Throbbing Pouch

Sep 16, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 57
Like you didn't see that one coming ...The Future Sound of London

tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

I'm glad to see a variety of folks enjoying electronic music. There is so much out there -- and it has such a bad reputation because of the stuff that's played at clubs and on the radio and such. That is garbage. It is the Britney Spears of electronic music.

i agree 100%. so many of my friends question why i listen to electronica... they just don't realize that music exists beyond the radio. i can't even get them to download a sample. oh, well.

but at the same time, one of my friends turned me on to aphex twin in the first place... so it's not all bad.

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 57
This reminds me to listen to the Richard D. James album again...and go out and finally buy Are You Shpongled. Such a great album.

Oct 12, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 57
Sort of bringing this thread back, I am interested in ambient music but haven't ventured out to pick up some CDs. Part of the issue is there is SO much electronic music out there, a million compilation albums and it's kind of hard to pick out the good from the mediocre stuff. I'll use some of the suggestions here as a staring place. I've also heard mention of "Dark Ambient" anyone know of any good examples of it?

Thanks in Advance

Oct 12, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 57
Also check out Chris Clark on Warp Records. He does some really crazy, beautiful, and complex work. Specifically his latest release, Empty The Bones Of You, is just amazing.

Aphex Twin is my favorite artist by far, Donkey Rhubarb probably being my favorite release, or I Care Because You Do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back