Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Aug 27, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,052 of 1,652
I must say that I am very disappointed with this whole program and consider it a lesson learned and will NEVER again support any program on Indiegogo. I'll just wait for the product to be officially released and pay the retail price once the reviews are in. Just my 2c worth.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,053 of 1,652
  I must say that I am very disappointed with this whole program and consider it a lesson learned and will NEVER again support any program on Indiegogo. I'll just wait for the product to be officially released and pay the retail price once the reviews are in. Just my 2c worth.

Same with me, the first time i've supported anything through crowdfunding. If i get a decent player for storage and streaming, i'll be happy.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,055 of 1,652
Aug 28, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #1,057 of 1,652
  Well, the pattern of starting new campaigns without delivering the previous one is indeed worrisome.  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nimbus-world-s-best-hi-res-home-entertainment-video-audio?mc_cid=4a394cbd3e&mc_eid=f81c750d3a#/ 

And the claim that they'll produce bookshelf speakers that "run from 5Hz to 50KHz" does not inspire confidence. 

Um, no it isn't. They've done all the design and the Seiun campaign stuff is in production. Do you expect them to just sit on their hands? Twiddle their thumbs? Scratch their bums?

I'm perfectly happy that they are starting a new campaign. It also gives them an incentive to get the Seiun players out to backers, as this may get them some repeat buyers while the campaign is on for the Nimbus. I'm looking forward to getting my Seiun Pro X player. I'm hoping to get the hub instead of the DAC so that I can use the player as my AV hub.

I don't need the Nimbus, as I've got a projector multiple DACs, and an integrated amplifier and speakers. I also don't buy the upconverting as actually being an improvement. I think people will be getting a whole bunch of placebo effect and altered sound that has nothing to do with the original recording. I also don't like how they represent decimation. It's BS. Your hardware fills in the wave, it doesn't have a bunch of steps like stairs.

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #1,058 of 1,652
Some people should just purchase retail products. Delays are expected when you fund something that is still in "Development".

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #1,059 of 1,652
Well in production is a bit of a shortcut, they just said that they've finished pre-production and "entering" production phase.

My estimation still holds: we'll be lucky if we receive something final this year (waiting for the PHA DAC/amp).

Not blaming Indiegogo but certainly the amateurism of Cyberdrive.
If I was running R&D projects like this, my company would ask me to go and work somewhere else...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,060 of 1,652
I really don't understand all the angst about the CD projects; anyone who originally perked for the Pro or ProX has got to realize that CD has basically retooled their original design for the players, and at least on paper, I think we will be getting a better player than originally planned...  This is what a company should do if they have a chance to build a better product.  I got into this project when the ProX was going for $100, with the option to upgrade internal storage for an additional $20.  Now the price is up to $499.  I hedged a bit on the PHA initially, but finally joined in for $220 price point, now the price is $499.  So only time will tell if my $340 investment is a great bargain or not.  But CD has tried to make up for some of the delays by offering a free DAC or AV dock.  And in addition, there was a free IEM offered early on for posting their ad on Facebook...  Although most of us have not seen a functioning prototype of the PHA, we've seen videos of the ProX prototype, and I for one am impressed with the "video" half of the player.  We will be able to judge the "audio" half only when we finally receive it.  It looks to me that CD has done well with the Indiegogo program; we will get to find out exactly how well CD has done once we receive the products they have developed.  Now contrast this project with another well-known "high end, no compromise DAP" project whose Indiegogo campaign closed over 2 yrs ago... the "unfortunate" backers of that campaign have yet to see an independent, fully functioning prototype of the most basic DAP, and finally got to see an empty chassis (? even the final version) for the DAP just a few days ago...  And many of the investors in this second campaign have ponied up at least 2-4 times what I invested in the CD campaign.  At this point, I am still satisfied with CD's efforts and I wish them the best of luck with this and any other projects they decide to pursue...

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,061 of 1,652
So how many of you are so delighted with the promptness of this wonderful campaign that you have immediately shelled out a load more money on the latest perks up for grabs? I feel like spending 1000s and 1000s of pounds and tieing my money up for a noce little while. I assume you are all going the same way as they have proved to be such an excellent company

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,062 of 1,652
Just the end game to worry about. There is a touch of altruism involved and I did expect some delays. But the communication has been very poor...Other campaigns I am on, even more delays but the communication is a lot better....But I never thought 100% I would get anything back it wouldn't be a gamble....I do understand the frustration and it's justified. I just try and be that little bit more patient as I am still getting The Kitted prox and PHA for peanuts. Then when it comes I can see if I gained or lost out...

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,063 of 1,652
Thanks Dave,
the voice of reason once again prevails. I wouldn't mind dong a campaign where I pledge my money and wait ages for the finished product again but not where they take my money straight away with no guarantee I'll get a product or a refund. That makes no sense to me unless I'm a venture capatalist. Which I'm not

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,064 of 1,652
I suppose it's like a mail order bride.. or internet dating... You pay up front... wait for ages, the picture seems different from the first one and your not sure either way if you are getting screwed at the end....

I do love her though...

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,065 of 1,652

Well, the pattern of starting new campaigns without delivering the previous one is indeed worrisome.  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nimbus-world-s-best-hi-res-home-entertainment-video-audio?mc_cid=4a394cbd3e&mc_eid=f81c750d3a#/ 

And the claim that they'll produce bookshelf speakers that "run from 5Hz to 50KHz" does not inspire confidence. 

Um, no it isn't. They've done all the design and the Seiun campaign stuff is in production. Do you expect them to just sit on their hands? Twiddle their thumbs? Scratch their bums?

I'm perfectly happy that they are starting a new campaign. It also gives them an incentive to get the Seiun players out to backers, as this may get them some repeat buyers while the campaign is on for the Nimbus. I'm looking forward to getting my Seiun Pro X player. I'm hoping to get the hub instead of the DAC so that I can use the player as my AV hub.

I don't need the Nimbus, as I've got a projector multiple DACs, and an integrated amplifier and speakers. I also don't buy the upconverting as actually being an improvement. I think people will be getting a whole bunch of placebo effect and altered sound that has nothing to do with the original recording. I also don't like how they represent decimation. It's BS. Your hardware fills in the wave, it doesn't have a bunch of steps like stairs.

I was waiting your response, glassmonkey. :)

No, I don't expect them to sit in the their hands.  I just expect them to actually finish their previous campaign before moving to the next one.

Yes, I know you believe that start-ups can start many projects in parallel without delaying any of them.  But the evidence suggests otherwise.  Take Light Harmonics as a example.

Agreed 100% on the decimantion representation,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back