Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Feb 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #511 of 1,652
  Just now was looking at the description of their player software on the google store...    from there this is written...

The SEIUN player Pro version will release on 2016-06-30

so it looks like the Pro/ProX is targeted for July ...   ???

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Liztic.CyberdriveZeus#details-reviews

I reckon' this will be the launch date for the retail version.

The backers should get their units in March - or so I hope....

Cheers.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #513 of 1,652
No. the current app is in beta. See -' CyberDrive SEIUN player for Android OS version APPs is now for free download to 2016-06-30'. Check out the logo  too, its written there 'lite'. Thus what the 'pro' means that is when this player will be out of beta/lite version.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #514 of 1,652
Feb 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #515 of 1,652

Anyone have any idea if it supports exfat? or fat32 only?

There is no point using exfat in such devices. Even the largest 200 gig Sandisk micro card can be formatted with fat32 and works with that format just fine in my iBasso DX50 (DAC/DAP) as well as in my Canon 1DIV (DSLR).

Cheers.
ExFat transfers faster and works fine in my iBasso DX50 on a 200gb SanDisk card. There is no point doing fat32, unless you have a device that isn't compatible with exFat. Fat32 takes an eternity to load up 200gb.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #516 of 1,652
ExFat transfers faster and works fine in my iBasso DX50 on a 200gb SanDisk card. There is no point doing fat32, unless you have a device that isn't compatible with exFat. Fat32 takes an eternity to load up 200gb.

Nope.
The difference between those two is just the sector size and the maximum size, typically 32 gig for Fat32 as the name suggests and 4 gig per file.
ExFat also has its name for a reason. Extended FAT. It only extends the upper storage limit and increases the file size limit.

Both formats started out as proprietary Microsoft files systems and became eventually mainstream.

Neither format has any speed advantage (read or write) over each other whatsoever.

Read or write speed depends on the controller and the IO's used and couldn't care less about, sectors, clusters and card size.

Cheers.

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #517 of 1,652
Player seems ok. I am not sure if it sounds a little darker in sound. A touch more reverb. That is from using Onkyo player.

Got the IFI IPURIFIER 2 has improved my Sam S5 SUPRA CABLE IFI2 OPPOHA1 ETHER CHAIN.

With the app, folders would be nice and I do love the Equaliser on ONKYO player with DB scales. To try and match Harman curve.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #519 of 1,652
Sooo...just got my new Seiun Player!
Initial impressions:
Build...light as a feather. Like carrying a USB stick around. It is so light that if you dropped it I doubt it would be hurt. Button placement is great for one-hand operation. Display and UI is basic but fine. Only issue here is single button presses for scrolling...nothing quick about that. Long presses increase / decrease volume in steps of 1. You get a warning when you go above 20 and 32 is max. It doesn't seem to play while charging but still checking that. Green light when on and red while charging. There is an auto-off with a time of five mins maybe. Pretty quick and not selectable.

Play modes are repeat 1, all and none, straight and shuffle. Shuffle seems to work only in that folder. There is a now-playing menu so you can adjust settings and go back to the track and info. Menus cycle around so you can keep pressing a single button the get back.

One cool thing...by pressing and holding the Home button you get a detailed battery indication in bars and numbers.

Sound...I'm not disappointed but the background is not super black and there is some hiss. Otherwise it has good balance and the sound stage is fine. I have not compared as I just got it and am very busy. I have a Colorfly C3 and Shozy Alien so if I get a chance I will.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this unit and since I got it mainly for jogging the light weight and easy operation make it a winner!

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #520 of 1,652
Sooo...just got my new Seiun Player!
Initial impressions:
Build...light as a feather. Like carrying a USB stick around. It is so light that if you dropped it I doubt it would be hurt. Button placement is great for one-hand operation. Display and UI is basic but fine. Only issue here is single button presses for scrolling...nothing quick about that. Long presses increase / decrease volume in steps of 1. You get a warning when you go above 20 and 32 is max. It doesn't seem to play while charging but still checking that. Green light when on and red while charging. There is an auto-off with a time of five mins maybe. Pretty quick and not selectable.

Play modes are repeat 1, all and none, straight and shuffle. Shuffle seems to work only in that folder. There is a now-playing menu so you can adjust settings and go back to the track and info. Menus cycle around so you can keep pressing a single button the get back.

One cool thing...by pressing and holding the Home button you get a detailed battery indication in bars and numbers.

Sound...I'm not disappointed but the background is not super black and there is some hiss. Otherwise it has good balance and the sound stage is fine. I have not compared as I just got it and am very busy. I have a Colorfly C3 and Shozy Alien so if I get a chance I will.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this unit and since I got it mainly for jogging the light weight and easy operation make it a winner!

I was just gonna add some additional impressions I've gathered on the player from using it for a whole week now, but I see that iJay has already given some, so I'll add me 2 cents to his  :wink: :

- Yes, it weighs virtually nothing. The plug of my ATH-M50x headphones literally weighs more than the player itself.

- It's 100% plastic. Not a bit of glass or metal there. That's a price to pay to reach that price point, obviously.

- Sound quality is pretty solid, can't complain there. Even with average headphones, you'll certainly hear the difference between MP3's and FLACs for sure.

- However, speaking of "average headphones", I have tried it with the bundled Impact Dura earphones, and THOSE have really disappointed me. Granted, I picked the "Bass" tuning, that might be the issue, but they are all bass / all treble, no mids whatsoever.  (as a caveat, I'm never a fan of earbuds in general, although I don't dislike my Dynamic Motion DM008P so far).

- The UI is very spartan, and the lack of a "hold" button means it goes to "auto-hold" after a couple of minutes, and you have to wake it up with any of the buttons. Where it gets really tricky though, at least for me, is waking up the unit, and then either changing volume or changing tracks. Both functions use the same 2 buttons, but to change tracks you press the buttons once, and to change the volume, you keep them pressed. Add to that the fact that you're likely to press a button to "un-hold" the unit, so you can adjust the volume, that means you need to press, wait a second, and then hold the button for your volume. Then potentially reach the "high volume warning", which means you need to RE-press the button (keeping it pressed down) to continue adjusting your volume.

--->  Long story short: I've been switching tracks and adjusting volumes by accident when I meant to do the contrary way too often for comfort, so far. (I'm one of these people (might be my DJ background) that has a propensity to constantly adjust the volume through a track too, so it might just be me...)

- The unit comes with a tiny little speaker, which I didn't know was part of the specs, and I guess it's useful if you wanna just give a quick taste of the music to someone else, or review notes that you've recorded on the fly  (the recording function I also wasn't aware of before receiving the unit!).  One issue I'm getting now is that the playback of music comes out of that tiny speaker whether I've got headphones connected or not, now. Not sure if it's faulty hardware or software, but that's obviously a problem if I'm using the unit outside.

So there you have it, some more notes on the Seiun "base" Player.  Sound quality is really, really good for the price, but there are clear sacrifices that had to be made elsewhere. As a standalone player, I'll probably continue to just use my Sony NWZ-A17, as it has so many more features and a much better interface, but the Seiun does the job.  

Ironically, with it's Record feature (which I have yet to test), and it's extra light weight and size (not to mention, it looking like a simple MP3 player), it might be even more useful as a small recording device, for recording interviews, notes, meetings, or anything else you might fancy... :wink:    

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #521 of 1,652
Didn't realize it had a speaker... now they just need an alarm clock function and it'll be awesome even without the music.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #522 of 1,652
  Didn't realize it had a speaker... now they just need an alarm clock function and it'll be awesome even without the music.

Actually the fact that it's so cheap, has a speaker, and can record, could almost make it the "Raspberry Pi" of audio players...  It could be hacked/re-jiggered in various ways.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #523 of 1,652
Just received my Seiun player via Fedex. 

Packaging was very neat and sturdy. 

Given the fact that these players were practically free ($30ish) I really have zero complaints. 

Sound quality is better than a iPhone 6 or the headphone ports on any PC by a good margin. 

I'm using very sensitive Empire Ears IEM's so there is slight hiss. Nothing to worry about. 

I love the screen... reminds me of a Tamagotchi toy. Something nostalgic about it. Interface is very easy to master. 

Very nice player for the money - I'd say Cyberdrive knocked it out the part at this price point. 

Commenting on the included earphones would be unfair after the Empire Ears. 

Johan Poggenpoel

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #524 of 1,652
This may be an odd question, but I have never used an Andriod. Does this have the ability to access an app called Soundcloud? I do most of my streaming (while trolling for new music) on this app with my iPhone and would love to have a source for my higher quality files. As of now my portable is just my phone since I take call at a hospital and need it on my anyways. But while not on call I have no problem getting something like this.

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #525 of 1,652
This may be an odd question, but I have never used an Andriod. Does this have the ability to access an app called Soundcloud? I do most of my streaming (while trolling for new music) on this app with my iPhone and would love to have a source for my higher quality files. As of now my portable is just my phone since I take call at a hospital and need it on my anyways. But while not on call I have no problem getting something like this.

Yes.
Android has access to most functions iOS has (except for a few proprietary ones) and then some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back