Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Nov 19, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #122 of 1,652
This isn't RRP prices though, half price in some cases with IDGG early birds. But with all kick starting crowdsourced ideas. Early Supporters get the best deals but act as free advertising, like here,friends and family.

Your HIFI experience means you are a reference source,a walking talking mini Headfi. The dock gives you freedom and a fixed unit. It opens more options of choice and add more technical abilities.

The sticking point of the OPAMP.Even the experts at Chord using a Custom FPGA with in house algorithms/PS audio can't do this at a low cost.

If they can do this become a bigger player in the market and keep costs low. Thier next gen will be something to watch out for.
Again remember it's not the specifics we want but a mindset for less knowledgeable people with thier products. The mission statement, high quality low cost and getting more none audiophiles into good sounding music.

Some compromises may disappoint some here and with what we already have, may just be another DAP purchase to compare. But we are a large but not whole market, good quality audio is preaching to the converted here. IDGG browsers aren't. Our approval though...

Cost, quality, functionality seem to be covered. The posts above have settled my doubts, as the implementation would have to be bad for SQ issues.
Our reviews will act as development strategies and confirmation for others.
If we argue about colors or rounded corners then it's job done...

Sorry if my long winded posts seem preaching, I just want to cover the basics and tease out your thoughts.

A casual reader would think the dual OPAMP is a disaster and dismiss this altogether.

I am more noob than knowledgeable but how a small team can do this is quite an achievement. 2400 people in my firm just to make an electronic controller for a jet. The size of a small tower PC.. Some the price of a small UK apartment..

Me rambling and posting is way of trying to give back a little to Headfiers for the invaluable advice and nice people here who made me feel part of a community.
Good luck and keep smiling
Dave

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #123 of 1,652
So far I will give them the benefit of my doubt. Maybe I'm very naive but at the same time I'm not expecting a high grade audiophile sounding DAP at the amount of money I backed for but something decent that will find a purpose for me!  I hope to be surprised and to me at least it is a lottery ticket where I hopefully will receive something in a few months!  

Down the road, they might even deliver a real "audiophile" product at budget price since that is what seems to be their perspective and then I can somehow feel I was part of this! Yes, I'm very well aware of that their main goal is to make money, we all do this more or less on a daily basis! Do I fear that they will take my money and run or just deliver me a metal box with a large screen? Could happen but again I'll take my own calculated risk and if I felt too uncomfortable by now I would cancel my pledge and that's great we have that option!

It seems that they are very well aware of what happened to the Geek Wave indiegogo project which pretty much have damaged the credibility of many indiegogo audio gear related campaign/launches, so I expect them to do much better unless Cyberdrive are running a similar scheme! 

I expect to receive the basic Seiun player in January and then we will see what they are capable off! At that point it is of course much too late to retract from backing any of the other media players... 

In the end it is up to each individual to decide if they want to be part of this and hopefully the outcome suit the most of us, if not, well, then we will take from there and move on.. Right now, we can ask them as many questions as possible but expecting them to build 10 different units with individual add on's and still keep their time frame may not be the right way and better to look somewhere else :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #124 of 1,652
Uberclocked upvoted: "No mention of AMD? What is this?"

Once AMD CPUs can also use a third of the power and perform on par with Intel, then I will mention AMD. Right now, processing power per watt, AMD is the CPU equivalent of a Hummer with the CPU strength of a family sedan. Said differently, Intel Atom chips sipping 4.5 watts are almost in line with the performance of AMD chips guzzling 15 watts. And Core M at 4.5 watts operates faster than AMD chips using 19 watts. It makes me wonder how AMD is still in business with all the near-zero margin sales they do to keep competitive.

Granted, the AMD Radeon iGPU powering their APUs packs a powerful punch compared to last year's iGPUs in Intel CPUs. But the new Skylake graphics found in the Core i3 and up far and away outperforms all but the top, pricey desktop APUs. And even then, they are either neck-and-neck by a couple frames or Intel still comes out on top by a huge lead. And Intel Iris just makes AMD look like it is finally on its death bed.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-9.html

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #125 of 1,652
Damn, still the stock 49mw @ 32ohm output power rating. Was hoping for something doubled that at least.

So now the HPA, is it a standalone like the Oppo HA2, but with a small LCD like the E18? It won't be able to store files like the Pro X?

I wouldn't actually mind paying more for the ProX if it had the 500mw capability of the HPA and a 128GB internal storage as stock. Itll render the need for an external amp useless.

The PHA have basic player built in. Folder based. 64GB internal storage, Micro SDXC(or SDHC?) slot.

Anyone looked at the Echobox? How do you think it will compare against the Seiun?

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #126 of 1,652
I am an avid computer enthusiast and a computer engineering student and I can straightway tell you that yes, I have. Intel Iris outperforms quite a few $100 and under desktop video cards and uses a lot less power to pull off what it does. In addition, the next round of Intel integrated graphics in their 6th Generation Core chips also outperform plenty of Nvidia and AMD's dedicated laptop graphics chips. I love gaming at ultra settings as much as the next PC enthusiast does, but I can tell you integrated graphics of today are not what they were in the past. And for most people who just want something that is a small step up from their Xbox 360 or PS3, integrated graphics solutions are more than capable of delivering the goods.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I'll consider myself repudiated. :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #128 of 1,652
I've backed the Echobox. I think it is just as good a deal (especially with six months of Tidal). I also think the quality of the player is likely to be higher as they piloted this months ago and adjusted to community feedback. They've also been demoing prototypes at all the big Headfi meets for months. I've seen the player, but was so busy checking out other things at CanJam London that I didn't have a listen. They also intend to have a media dock and the 300mW amp in it will power most headphones adequately. Don't expect to plug in an HE1000 or HE6, but the LCD2 and Oppo et al should be fine.

In the UK, Tidal Hifi is $30 per month, so subtract that from the $249+$20 for shipping First Edition Explorer perk price and you've got a HiRes player for $89 (<£60). The $79 headphones are a similarly good deal, with 3 months of Tidal thrown in, they come out to $9 in the UK (£6) for headphones that can be run over by a Mack truck multiple times and be none worse for the wear and punch way above that price in sound quality.

Edited: First Edition Explorer is the DAP, Finder is the headphones.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #129 of 1,652
Hello All!

Here are some fresh renders of the Seiun Pro / PRO X! http://imgur.com/a/Q3RS5

There's also a drawing of how the PHA and PRO X fit together. (We'll have renders of the PHA on Monday!)

Also we'll be getting our first samples of the cases next week too!

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #131 of 1,652
My only request for the PHA is they don't have a pop on power on. The render looks good, very similar to the sony pha3.  It seems like the volume knob is going to rub against stuff and turn when in pockets.  Maybe integrate a lock or something to protect it like sony did?

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #132 of 1,652
I've backed the Echobox. I think it is just as good a deal (especially with six months of Tidal). I also think the quality of the player is likely to be higher as they piloted this months ago and adjusted to community feedback. They've also been demoing prototypes at all the big Headfi meets for months. I've seen the player, but was so busy checking out other things at CanJam London that I didn't have a listen. They also intend to have a media dock and the 300mW amp in it will power most headphones adequately. Don't expect to plug in an HE1000 or HE6, but the LCD2 and Oppo et al should be fine.

In the UK, Tidal Hifi is $30 per month, so subtract that from the $249+$20 for shipping First Edition Explorer perk price and you've got a HiRes player for $89 (<£60). The $79 headphones are a similarly good deal, with 3 months of Tidal thrown in, they come out to $9 in the UK (£6) for headphones that can be run over by a Mack truck multiple times and be none worse for the wear and punch way above that price in sound quality.

Wrong thread.  :d

EDIT: I'm an illiterate idiot who doesn't pay attention to anything.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #134 of 1,652

Wrong thread.  :d

See post #125

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #135 of 1,652
the PHA is very poorly design. They should make the knob to be extruded and not flushed and smaller aswell. the wiring should be L. I can see myself accidentally turning the knob while in my pocket and break that connection wire since it straight and will be resting at the bottom of my pocket. I was about to pool the trigger on this PHA and very excited about it. I think they should really redo the design and think about it as a portable as in literally putting in a jacket / pants pocket. If i wanted to have something to be use on my desk i will use my  my desk rig. Just my 2c.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back