Seeking (relatively) cheap IEMs
Jun 24, 2009 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gamemako

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, here's the situation.

Some 3 years ago, I bought a pair of iM716 phones for a song. They were around $60 and sounded excellent for the price. However, 3 years, 8 countries, and untold abuses later, they've thoroughly had it. The original tips have been destroyed and the foam tips are disgusting, and the right ear now gives horrible tearing if I turn the volume up to a reasonable level.

So here's what I'm looking for. Ideally, somewhere between $60 and $80. Good, balanced sound quality. The iM716's were reportedly based on the Ety ER4s, and on the HQ setting, they avoided the ugly, overbearing bass problem. I don't carry an amp with me (too bulky).

Suggestions?

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 20
Ety er6i? I think those are around $70 and they do not have strong bass, which I gather you prefer. Isolation is great too, and i hear they have tons of detail for the money.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ety er6i? I think those are around $70 and they do not have strong bass, which I gather you prefer. Isolation is great too, and i hear they have tons of detail for the money.

It does almost feel like everyone's moving toward the UE bass-heavy sound. Can't be helped, I guess.

I heard the new HF-5 isolation is huge. What about those, anyway?

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 20
I'm using Shure E4c and I greatly enjoy them. Very recessed bass though, if that's a concern. Great detail in the mids and highs though (if a bit sibilant). Not sure how easy they are to find these days though. Shure has renamed them to SCL4 and changed the colour scheme.

As for "bulky" portable amps, you could look into an iBasso T4 for a low-mid end one if you're interested in an amp at all. They're very small, about the size of a Zippo lighter and about 2/3 as thick. Xin also has a few very tiny amps. RSA and Pico are supposed to be releasing new ultra-portable amps soon(ish) as well, and they should be in the mid to high end area (with a price to match). Don't know if I would recommend the FiiO E5 anymore, at least not compared to those amps. Mine broke after a couple of months of use and the sound quality just doesn't quite match up. Just a thought
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 20
The NuForce NE-8's are right in your price range at $69. They are not basshead phones, and their sound quality is quite good. I just got some a few days ago, and have been enjoying them quite a bit. Good detail, decent soundstage, and overall excellent for the price.

(I say "for the price" because they don't sound as good as the Klipsch X10's, which is the only worthy comparison I have for them. But the X10's cost 3 times as much.)

BTW, I'd recommend the dual flange eartips for the NE-8's. The NE-8's have strangely short sound tubes, and the dual flange is the only thing that comes with them that seems to give a good seal (for me). The Comply T-500's are also an option if you want to spend the extra money to buy Comply's. (The T-400 is the officially listed option, but it fits barely on the end of the sound tube and gets stuck in my ears. The T-500 reportedly fits better.)

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 20
Theres also cheaper options that you may like:

Altec Lansing UHP336
Nuforce NE-7M

The NE-8s are very nice phones, but I am selling mine because I prefer the analytical sound of Etys to the fun NuForces for reasons I can't quite comprehend.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 20
OK, let me get this straight. Suggestions so far, with prices, are:

ER6i -- $70
RE-2 (Whose? What is this?) with FiiO e5 amp -- $50 (I guess phones are $35?)
Shure E4c/SLC4W -- $150, not a likely purchase
NuForce NE-8 -- $70
NuForce NE-7M -- $50
AL UHP336 -- $35
Vsonic RO2 Pro II -- $70

and amps:

Fiio E5 -- $15
iBasso T4 -- $???

Anyone have the UHP336 or either NuForce phone to tell me what they sound like? I have a good idea of what the ER6i will sound like from my iM716, but I would like to know what others are like.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 20
I have the NE-8s. I like them quite a bit, but must sell them soon in favor of Ety Er6i. They have great soundstage and are very balanced. They do lack bass compared to the Soundmagic PL30s and Altec Lansing UHP336s.

I also had the UHP336s for a month or so, but got rid of them. They are much less forgiving of a poor source and have more cable noise than the Ne-8s. They are also pretty large compared to many other IEMs and I found them less comfortable.

Edit: Also RE2's are head-direct's brand and cost $39 without Fiio E5, $49 with. And the T4 is $109 last i checked.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Vsonic R02 Pro II and the Apple In-Ear Headphone should also be considered in this price range!

Both are balanced!

Alright, I'll add the Vsonic at $70.

Apple IEMs... I seem to recall them being initially received as awful. Am I just thinking of another Apple audio product or has something changed?

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamemako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple IEMs... I seem to recall them being initially received as awful. Am I just thinking of another Apple audio product or has something changed?

I think youre thinking of the rest of apple's product line
ksc75smile.gif

See here:

Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market

Fyi they can be found "'used'" (read: new) on ebay for $35

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think youre thinking of the rest of apple's product line
ksc75smile.gif

See here:

Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market

Fyi they can be found "'used'" (read: new) on ebay for $35

Is this the one we're talking about here?

Anyway, I'm thinking about going for the UHP336 just for the price and picking up a Fiio E5 to go with it at a later date. Can anyone compare the RE-2 + E5 to the UHP336/UE3 + E5?

//EDIT: Keeping in mind, of course, that the price for the UHP+E5 is all of 5 bucks more than the RE-2 combo...

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Yes those are the ones. Keep in mind thats double the price most head-fiers paid for em.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Yes those are the ones. Keep in mind thats double the price most head-fiers paid for em.

Yeah, I'm just trying to get an idea of what we're looking at.

Still, I think I'm more interested in the UHP336 and the RE-2 at that price range.

How is the sound of the Vsonic, if anyone knows? More detailed highs/mids like the iM716 or a bassier sound like the UHP336?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back