Seeking help for a headphone stand!
Jan 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD
Hi there guys and girls,

I bought 3 stands, and was wondering what you guys think of them.
Now why create the thread, as everyone has different tastes?

Its not about the look, but if the stands will damage the headphones or not.

-I find that the metal one is very sturdy, however seems to be putting strain on the headband - does this matter?
-Wooden with "branches" isn't stable enough, due to it being reasonably lightweight it seems to want to fall over when you put headphones on the lower branches
-Wooden "stick" is perfect for the XB700's and I'm thinking of keeping it, however for the D2K's it doesn't seem to fit perfectly - what do you guys think?

Possibly other cheap alternatives? So now why did I put ASAP in the title...?
Well its because I'm leaving the UK in 2 days - in France its literally impossible to find things like this, and online, I would have to pay at least £5-6 shipping charge on things that I blindly see on the internet - whereas here I can actually try before I buy. As you can see I didn't take the tags off for a reason - in case I want to take them back.

I want to keep the price under £20 too, so bear that in mind - I bought the wooden "stick" one for £7.50, the metal one for £16 and the wooden branches one for £12.50 - so as you can see cheap, but useful.
I'm also in the EU/UK region so US things won't do!

FYI for the UK people:
Metal ones can be bought from the kitchen section (on receipt as cookshop) at Debenhams
Wooden ones can be found in the kitchen section (on receipt as kitchen accessories) at House of Frazer (they were on sale there at the moment -> Birmingham)

I'm thinking of keeping the metal one for the d2k's, the wooden stick one for the XB700's and returning the wooden branch one, as it won't be used + is not really stable.

Here are pictures, and I hope someone will shed me some light :)

UPDATE:
I'll be returning the wooden with branches, and the metal one:
Metal: Because it leaves a mark on the headband on the XB700's and on the D2K's-  i rather not ruin that padding up top - I saw what 1 hour on it could do...let alone 1 month
Wooden branches: Doesn't hold the weight properly at all times, don't want an accident to happen

So what now?
Keep the wooden with stick - have D2K's on it for time being, and search via internet or in france for a DIY/headphone stand solution

WOODEN WITH BRANCHES

WOODEN STICK

METAL WITH BRANCHES

D2K's on wooden stick

D2K's on wooden stick

D2K's on wooden stick

XB700's on wooden stick

D2K's on wooden branches

D2K's on wooden branches

D2K's on wooden branches - stability isn't great, depending on where you put them

D2K's + XB700's on wooden branches

XB700's on wooden branches

D2K's on METAL branches

D2K's on METAL branches

D2K's + XB700's on METAL branches

Headphones on Wooden stand

D2K's on wooden stand

D2K's on Metal stand

D2K's on metal stand

D2K's on metal stand

As you can see its pressing down on the head padding...is this bad?

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 42
I don't really like them but if i had to pick one, it would be the aluminum stand.

Quote:
in France its literally impossible to find things like this

Why not make a stand yourself or change the first utility of an object, like curtain bar.... I have personally a beautiful 3 m full stainless steel curtain bar, with aesthetic fixings for most of my headphones. In France with DIY store (?) like castorama/leroy merlin/ikea... you can find many object to turn from their primary use.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 42

Quote:
I don't really like them but if i had to pick one, it would be the aluminum stand.

Why not make a stand yourself or change the first utility of an object, like curtain bar.... I have personally a beautiful 3 m full stainless steel curtain bar, with aesthetic fixings for most of my headphones. In France with DIY store (?) like castorama/leroy merlin/ikea... you can find many object to turn from their primary use.

Oh of course I could DIY it, but I have 0 tools in france too lol

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 42
There is a lot a music/HiFi shop in Paris, you should be able to find some "stands" imo, but i don't have specific address.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 42

Quote:
I would take the "wooden with just the stick" and mod it so that it's a little bit shorter, and rip off the small stick.

Well no worries about shorter or the little stick, but yes that's the idea :)

Why the stick one over the others?

Quote:
There is a lot a music/HiFi shop in Paris, you should be able to find some "stands" imo, but i don't have specific address.

Yes but I don't want to pay 100€ for one either...considering a small little rubbish bin is 100€ in a building store makes me wonder how much a headphone stand would cost.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 42

Quote:

D2K's on metal stand

As you can see its pressing down on the head padding...is this bad?

Bad? not necesarily... but the dent may become permanent. Whether it bothers you from a comfort standpoint is up to you. Many people get some foam padding (camp bed, or pipe insulation, or pool noodle, etc) and add a larger diameter foam pad around a stand like that one, to prevent the denting.

Of the ones posted, I too, would probably prefer the aluminum one. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 42
I also got the metal one with branches.  It was suppose to be a mug tree, but fits two headphones nicely and for a low price of $10 from my local Walmart
darthsmile.gif

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 42

Quote:
Bad? not necesarily... but the dent may become permanent. Whether it bothers you from a comfort standpoint is up to you. Many people get some foam padding (camp bed, or pipe insulation, or pool noodle, etc) and add a larger diameter foam pad around a stand like that one, to prevent the denting.

Of the ones posted, I too, would probably prefer the aluminum one. 

I see!
Well it doesn't bother me one bit, I'm just owrried it will damage my D2k's - I guess I can get some foam or something around, and that SHOULD help
Either or, as I said, I can keep 1 or 2 stands (useless having 3 lol)

I think I'm worried about the D2k's above all else - and don;t want them to be damaged due to a little stand...

Quote:
I also got the metal one with branches.  It was suppose to be a mug tree, but fits two headphones nicely and for a low price of $10 from my local Walmart
darthsmile.gif

haha win :p
Don't you have any troubles with the headband though? As in, doesn't it leave a mark or something on your headphones? Pics would be greatly appreciated :D

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 42
Not the wooden stick.  I don't trust it...

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 42
These are great if you can find them there. I have 2, plus a bunch of DIY woodies. I may but a couple more while I still can find them. As you can see IMHO they look like they were meant for this purpose.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/523324/new-headphone-stand   and no modding necessary unless you want a bit of cheap grey foam pipe insulation or other padding where the headband rests. I used a piece inside the lip and then a larger piece over top of that so absolutely NO indentations on the headband paddings. Those foam pipe insulation things are about $1 each for 6 feet.
If the cans are excessively large they may come close to bottoming out and putting strain on the cable entries of the cups, but building up the area where they rest helps raise that up and is a good idea anyhow.

I hope you find something you can look at without thinking" Something's not quite right with it"

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 42
Yeah I saw the op. Was thinking you may be able to find something similar in your area ( oops maybe didn't mention that in my post ), there were a few variations of the utility rack thing in that thread if I recall. Too bad about the taxes and shipping  and fuel costs you get hit with over there, it's truly criminal.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 42

Quote:
I see!
Well it doesn't bother me one bit, I'm just owrried it will damage my D2k's - I guess I can get some foam or something around, and that SHOULD help
Either or, as I said, I can keep 1 or 2 stands (useless having 3 lol)

I think I'm worried about the D2k's above all else - and don;t want them to be damaged due to a little stand...

haha win :p
Don't you have any troubles with the headband though? As in, doesn't it leave a mark or something on your headphones? Pics would be greatly appreciated :D

Well, it does not since I have a K702 (two metal bar on top) and a Grado SR80 (flat leather band), so either are affected by the stand.  Some pictures in another thread, but does not show the top clearly.  Can post those when I get home.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529140/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please/3510#post_8047985

Users who are viewing this thread

Back