Seeking awesome sounding closed portable.
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Palpatine

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought the K450, and it's OK...but compared to my SR60i which I use as an open portable with my iPod touch, they really don't cut it.
I have considered the HD 25 I ii and HD SP ii. I'm not sure that both can be driven properly from an iPod, but I think the SP ii can. The latter has a longer cord, which I don't really want, and I know it can be replaced, but I wish it was a coiled cord instead, like the 280Pro.
All reviews suggest they are ok cans, with the HD25 I ii being better, but still not that great for the money.
I really wanted a pair of on ear closed phones for portable use that sound great with an iPod. I am now thinking that maybe I should skip the Senn on-ears and get the larger ATH M50 with coiled cord for portable use.
Any others to consider, or is the ATH m50 the way to go.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 23
ATH-ES7 or ESW9, you won't be disappointed.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 23
Thanks for the reply,
but isn't the coiled cord on those cans (SRH840 ) 3 meters. That's too long for portable use, and I'd rather not mess around with replacement cables in this case. Plus I think they are full sized phones, right?
I'd rather here some on ear choices if possible, and if there are no really good options for on ear, I will probably choose the full sized M50.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the K450, and it's OK...but compared to my SR60i which I use as an open portable with my iPod touch, they really don't cut it.
I have considered the HD 25 I ii and HD SP ii. I'm not sure that both can be driven properly from an iPod, but I think the SP ii can. The latter has a longer cord, which I don't really want, and I know it can be replaced, but I wish it was a coiled cord instead, like the 280Pro.
All reviews suggest they are ok cans, with the HD25 I ii being better, but still not that great for the money.
I really wanted a pair of on ear closed phones for portable use that sound great with an iPod. I am now thinking that maybe I should skip the Senn on-ears and get the larger ATH M50 with coiled cord for portable use.
Any others to consider, or is the ATH m50 the way to go.

The M-50 are great, the GMP 8.35D Monitor are even better.
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 23
8.35D Monitors. A bit heavy cable perhaps. 1 metre in length total. But it´s coiled half way thus the weight.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 23
OMG those ATH ESW9 are gorgeous! I will have to sift through all the review of both the ES7 and the ESW9. I think one of these will be a winner for me. Hopefully they will not leak noise, and do a decent job of keeping noise out as well.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Hopefully they will not leak noise, and do a decent job of keeping noise out as well.

That the ES7 does not do.

If isolation is even a remote interest, I consider the HD 25-1 II to be the portable king.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 23
Th HD25-1's are very easy to drive, and would be my recommendation for plugging straight into an MP£ player unamped .

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 23
Some reviews on the web refer to the ESW9 as circum aural as opposed to supra. Others say the opposite. Are they in fact on ear, or over the ear?

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Some reviews on the web refer to the ESW9 as circum aural as opposed to supra. Others say the opposite. Are they in fact on ear, or over the ear?

They'll be supra-aural for most ears, circumaural for a few select chosen ones.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 23
Some say the HD25 I-II are so expensive, but if you take into consideration the combination of portability, sound quality and the fact that you will have these for the rest of your life (all parts are replacable), I think its a great combination of price/value. I enjoy them a lot, both unamped but i also thinks it improves a lot with decent source and amp.

I also like that you can carry them around without being afraid of damaging them.

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back