Seeking Amp/DAC Recommendations for Focal Clear MG
Nov 12, 2023 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

noblevo

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm new here and I don't want to come off as ignorant so ignore me if I say anything stupid.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to AMPs & DACs but I have received some suggestions from a reputable person at the Podcastage Discord who knows about this stuff. I'm looking to get some more opinions from a broader audience here. I should mention that I have a Rodecaster Duo and was considering running the Focals through them since they're very easy to drive, but some told me I wouldn't get the full experience/as good of a sound when compared to a properly paired AMP/DAC.

I wouldn't know because I haven't got any side by side so what I'm going to do is pick up the most suggested unit(s), the one that makes the most sense for the Focals and if I don't notice a significant improvement during A/B tests I'll return it.

I should mention the Focals will be the only headphones I'll be using and my budget is $700 USD and below, if that's overkill.

Some suggestions I've received thus far were:

Garage1217 Project SUNRISE 3.1 - Schiit Asgard - AKM DAC "(the modern Velvet Sound^TM)." He wasn't too clear on that one."

Also curious what people who've tried both the OG Clears and Clear MGs prefer.

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi all, I'm new here and I don't want to come off as ignorant so ignore me if I say anything stupid.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to AMPs & DACs but I have received some suggestions from a reputable person at the Podcastage Discord who knows about this stuff. I'm looking to get some more opinions from a broader audience here. I should mention that I have a Rodecaster Duo and was considering running the Focals through them since they're very easy to drive, but some told me I wouldn't get the full experience/as good of a sound when compared to a properly paired AMP/DAC.

I wouldn't know because I haven't got any side by side so what I'm going to do is pick up the most suggested unit(s), the one that makes the most sense for the Focals and if I don't notice a significant improvement during A/B tests I'll return it.

I should mention the Focals will be the only headphones I'll be using and my budget is $700 USD and below, if that's overkill.

Some suggestions I've received thus far were:

Garage1217 Project SUNRISE 3.1 - Schiit Asgard - AKM DAC "(the modern Velvet Sound^TM)." He wasn't too clear on that one."

Also curious what people who've tried both the OG Clears and Clear MGs prefer.
I am driving my Elegias with the Cayin RU6. It serves as a desktop unit from my iPad pro, but it is also portable from most phones. Love the R-2R analogue sound.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi, if you don't get many bites here, ask in the threads for headphones themselves. That's usually where most of the "works well with" discussions happen.

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I've had a couple of Focals. They sounded great both with the JDS Atom+ DAC+ stack and the Topping DX5 was excellent too. The new lite DX5 is even less and doesn't have MQA which is worthless anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back