Seeking Advice on Replacing Etymotic 6i IEM
Dec 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DCHP

New Head-Fier
I would love some advice on new IEM or noise-cancelling headphones to replace my current set of Etymotic 6i that I bought about four years ago.  I've had problems for quite some time with the rubber flanges, particularly in my left ear for some reason.  The flange separates from the rest of the unit and remains stuck in my ear canal almost every time I try to remove it (this happens with all sizes of the flange but rarely happens with my right ear).  I used the foam tips for a while, but those got pretty gross after a while.  I need new headphones or IEM in any event because today I noticed that I was not getting any sound from the left side.

I am open to just about any suggestions.  I am going to use them primarily to listen to music on an iPhone 4.  Noise isolation or cancellation is very important because I will use them primarily at swim meets (the buzz of the crowd can be quite annoying in a confined space) and while traveling on planes and trains.  I am an audiophile at home (mid-range Martin Logan speakers, Krell preamp and amp, SACD and DVD-Audio player, etc.), but I am well aware that I will be limited in this instance to the quality of the source material.  I'm looking for an enjoyable listening experience on my iPhone, but I'm going to be using it in noisy places.  Blocking out that noise is crucial to my being able to enjoy the listening experience.

I am open to trying IEM alternatives because I like the noise isolation and they are convenient and portable (which makes them great for traveling or taking to swim meets).  I am hesitant to buy another pair of IEM, however, because of my experience with the Etymotic 6i.  I have taken to carrying a pair of tweezers with my so that I can use the tweezers to remove the rubber flange when it gets stuck (inevitably) in my left ear canal.  On the other hand, I'm concerned that, without a tight fit, any new set of IEM won't work well at isolating noise and won't sound very good.

With respect to noise cancelling headphones, I'm open to that possibility as well, but I'm concerned about their relatively large size and lack of portability.  Also, I wear eyeglasses on occasion, and I'm concerned about how they may fit if I'm wearing eyeglasses.  Finally, I'm concerned about comfort (particularly at very hot and humid swim meets where an over-the-ear design may not work well), about how well a particular model would cancel significant and bothersome surrounding noise, and, in the final analysis, how they would sound.

So, I've got a dilemma.  I searched to try to find some helpful recommendations, but in the end, given my unique situation, I thought a new post would be the most useful.  Any advice you can provide will be genuinely appreciated.  I love listening to music, and these opportunities to do so (swim meets, airplanes, and train ride) will only work well if I have noise cancelling headphones or IEM that won't get stuck in my ear canal, will be comfortable for long periods of time in sometimes hot and humid conditions, will very effectively cancel or isolate substantially all of the exterior noise, and will sound great.

I don't have a magic wand, but I do have $300 or so that I could spend on the right solution (although I'd be happier to spend less!).

Thanks so much.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 6
You mentioned that sound wasn't coming from one side.  The ER6i has filters (my daughter has a set) that can be get clogged.  If you change those out you might actually fix the sound in the one side.  If that isn't it, or you want a replacement/extra anyway you might look into the newer Etymotic models like the MC5 or the HF3. Also, the RE0 are well thought of on here, although i understand the build quality isn't to good. I like my ER4s but if price is a issue, then the MC5 are fairly cheap and in heavy sound environments (ie requiring high isolation), you probably won't be able to tell the difference.  There is a review on the MC5 on here though that I'd read before making that leap. 

Also instead of asking everyone to do your homework, you might try reading this thread (jokers) comparing various IEM:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-125-iems-compared-sony-xb40ex-ex85-added-12-08

Íf you still want someone to select a set of earphones for you, you need to specify the music type and your preferances.  I assuming you like a flat analytical sound like the ER6i, there my etymotic recommendation.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 6
You mentioned that sound wasn't coming from one side.  The ER6i has filters (my daughter has a set) that can be get clogged.  If you change those out you might actually fix the sound in the one side.  If that isn't it, or you want a replacement/extra anyway you might look into the newer Etymotic models like the MC5 or the HF3. Also, the RE0 are well thought of on here, although i understand the build quality isn't to good. I like my ER4s but if price is a issue, then the MC5 are fairly cheap and in heavy sound environments (ie requiring high isolation), you probably won't be able to tell the difference.  There is a review on the MC5 on here though that I'd read before making that leap. 

Also instead of asking everyone to do your homework, you might try reading this thread (jokers) comparing various IEM:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-125-iems-compared-sony-xb40ex-ex85-added-12-08

Íf you still want someone to select a set of earphones for you, you need to specify the music type and your preferances.  I assuming you like a flat analytical sound like the ER6i, there my etymotic recommendation.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Dec 17, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the insight.  I appreciate it. 

I have tried to do my homework (I promise), but a lot of these posts are difficult to navigate through, and a lot focus on far better listening environments than those in which I will predominantly be using my IEM, so I appreciate the help.

I will mostly be listening to alternative rock on an iPhone 4.

Also, from a noise isolation perspective, any advice on tips to use with particular IEM that might help (and also won't disconnect when I try to remove them)?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back