Seeking Advice on Headphone/amps for specific tastes and device
Mar 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Specter1075

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I really didnt want to write another 'what should I get' thread, but Im a bit overwhelmed by the information here.

I recognize that different headphones are better suited to different types of music. Much of the music I listen to is Trance or House, or other club music, but also some rock and alternative (essentially, no Rap, R&B or Country), but I lack the technical understanding to know from reading a review whether a specific pair of headphones will be suitable for what I want.

I do not seek to become an audiophile of the highest order. I cant afford it, to be honest. Also, from some stuff Ive seen, I think I would be limiting my quality anyway. First, my intent is to listen to music on an iPhone. I need a new phone, so I passed up getting a Touch and am waiting on the iPhone 5. (I presume they would output the same quality.) I travel a fair bit, so I need something portable and not easily broken. Im not certain, but I understand that mp3 players arnt the best for quality sound, nor is the mp3 format. Ive heard that FLAC is better, but it isnt available to me because the majority of the music I listen to is foreign and available to me only as a downloaded mp3. So, given that I want to use an iPhone with regular mp3s, I suspect that some headphones/amps might be too good for my intended use. While I dont want to spend a ton of money, I would also like to avoid getting something that cant be fully appreciated. Of course, these are assumptions, and I am here hoping to either have them confirmed or rejected.

So, with this said, I was hoping to spend about 800$ for a headphone/amp combo (or less if to spend that much would be overkill.) Having looked at a number of headphones, the Sennheiser HD650s have caught my eye. For use with an iPod, they apparently require an amp, however. In all honesty, I had never even heard of headphone amps prior to reading about these bigger headphones. So, in people's opinion, are the HD650s suitable to my needs? Or is there something more suitable? Are the HD650s heavy?

I know this is the headphone forum, but if anyone could include some words of advice with regards to amps, I'd appreciate it greatly. I saw the recent article about TTVJ's portable slim amp, and it reads like the thing is awesome. At the same time, Ive seen amps at half the cost. So, I guess the biggest question for me is what should I be looking both in terms of price and features? Im not one who loves to spend money needlessly, but I will spend it where needed.

I apologize for being another new guy asking new-guy questions. I would really appreciate the feedback that anyone can give.

Thanks a million.

EDIT

Damn. I just saw the mega thread for people looking for purchasing advice and direction. That should be stickied. Sorry for being that annoying new guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back