Seeking advice from experts
Oct 31, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #16 of 27
I found a used Cronus for $1,650. I guess I'm not lucky.

I had to do some research on the difference between an attenuator and a potentiometer. I'm glad you brought those terms up. Learning is my utmost priority here. The theme I've gotten from you is that tube amps are appropriate for the HD 800. I'll certainly keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #18 of 27
I own a HD800 and it can sound really sterile with some solid state amps. I suggest you audition the combo carefully; at least more than a quick listen. Even with a good class A SS amp like Headamp's GS-1, it can sound a tad "thin".

I suggest auditioning them with a good tube amp before you make the plunge.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 27
The Telefunken what?

Anyway, I paired the HD800 with a YAQIN MS-300C integrated tube amp. More of a stopgap choice until I can afford a higher end amplifier, but for a Chinese amp at a little under a grand, I'm really happy with it. The only thing I hate is that it's noisy. Lots of hum.

The reason I didn't pull the trigger on the Luxman is because of the iPod dock the amp includes. I researched the price of the stand-alone unit, and it's about $500. Since I don't own and don't plan on owning an iPod, the only way I could buy that amp is if I'm content with throwing $500 away. Which I'm not.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
The Telefunken what?

Anyway, I paired the HD800 with a YAQIN MS-300C integrated tube amp. More of a stopgap choice until I can afford a higher end amplifier, but for a Chinese amp at a little under a grand, I'm really happy with it. The only thing I hate is that it's noisy. Lots of hum.

The reason I didn't pull the trigger on the Luxman is because of the iPod dock the amp includes. I researched the price of the stand-alone unit, and it's about $500. Since I don't own and don't plan on owning an iPod, the only way I could buy that amp is if I'm content with throwing $500 away. Which I'm not.

Telefunken is a vintage tube brand.  They generally are well respected for their warm/smooth character.  Telefunken ECC86 or 88 tubes in the little Earmax amps is a really magical setup with high impedance cans.  Often times tubes can be more $$$ than the amp itself... especially if you buy them in matched sets from respected dealers.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #21 of 27
How much of a difference does replacing the tubes actually make?

My Yaqin, for instance, was about $950 altogether. How surprised was I when I found a pair of 300B tubes that cost $900. Almost more than the amp itself, like you said. It doesn't add up. Just like I said in another thread, there's a replacement cable specifically made for the HD800 that costs more the freaking headphones themselves. While I don't doubt there might be marginal, if not pleasantly noticeable improvements, I have a feeling that products like those are sold with The Man With Too Much Money in mind, not regular stereo enthusiasts.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #22 of 27
Tubes do make a difference.  But, you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for great tubes.

I have this amp, and its tubes are dirt cheap.  You might consider this as a top choice to drive your HD800s.  See the link below:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trafomatic3/headone_2.html

P.S.  I have this amp, and my HD600s have never sounded better.  Ever.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #26 of 27
I would recommend you look at the woo audio lineup. They're a great starting place to shop for a HD800 amp. Another option is the Bottlehead Crack as a DIY option. The pairing with the flagship (and former flagship) sennheisers is sublime. Make sure you check out the upgrades for the bottlehead.

The money no object options for the woos tend to be the WA5's, the zana deux, the eddie current balancing act. I'm sure i've missed like 5 other options, but can't put my finger on them off the top of my head

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 27
From my own personal experience with Woo, as well as a few others here, let's just say it's "Buyer Beware" with Woo.  Buy at your own risk.

Quote:
I would recommend you look at the woo audio lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back