Seeking advice for headphones around $400 US, entry level setup. Details provided.
Dec 20, 2010 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

neophool

New Head-Fier
I currently own

1)  Westone UM2 (in-ear monitors)  i use these in my band.  Very pleased with these for that application, but find that they are uncomfortable, very "fussy" about setting right in my ears when i'm listening to music (for gigs i don't notice/care about that as much)

I think they sound great, but am slightly off-put by the "in-the-head" soundstage they give. 

2)  Sennheiser PX100 - xmas present.  I actually think they are great for the cost.  They are starting to crackle a little, makes me sad.  just use these for w/e.  I thought they sounded damn nice and warm for their price point.

3)  Sony MDR-V600 - bass drivers blown or something.  No bass.  I thought they were ok.

Now i'm looking to get serious, at least in an entry-level sense.  I'm prolly going with a Fiio E7, seeing as most of my listening will be from my laptop, Sansa Fuze via line out adapter, old Sony CD walkman with a line out, or a Yamaha home theater receiver.  I hope this is a wise choice.  I def. want the DAC/Amp combo, and def want portable for now.  I didn't know to go with the Fiio or the NuForce uDAC.

In any case, next up is the headphones.  I have been looking thru threads here for a week or two.

I listen to just about everything (classical to radiohead, electronica to john coltrane), but if i had to pick one genre what i want my headphones to excel in, it would be Orchestral+Choir Classical (Stravinsky, Debussy, etc)  my favorite pieces include Stranvinsky's Firebird, Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe, and Debussy's La Mer.

although i may not even know what i like (due to lack of experience) i would assume i like accurate, warm, smooth but punchy, and as far as treble goes it needs to be smooth and effortless or i cringe.  Bass doesn't need to be huge, but when i hear a bass drum in my Scheherezade recording (classical) i want to to sound like a bass drum.  That round, huge, warm yet somehow recessed rumble.  Electronica's low end sine wave bass are really important to me too.

I also game a bit (Call of duty) so a good soundstage is def. a must.

So tell me head-fi.  What headphone am i dreaming up?  Pleas don't say HD-800s.  I will cry lol.

I would be willing (with a wince) to go up to an Sennheiser HD-650 price range $400.  But it would mean i'd be eating ramen noodles for half a year LOL

Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Had a chance to take a listen (in a noisy envirment) to a Sony MDR-7506.  not too impressed, but then again i'm looking to spend prolly a tier or 2 above that level of headphone.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 11
The HD650 will be a non-controversial choice around $400. It's a damn good headphone, and not something you will need to upgrade in the near future.

You could save $50+ with the HD600, which is also very good headphone. I did, and kind of wish I'd spent the extra cash for the HD650. I've been spending a lot more time with the baby Stax than the HD600 lately. That might or might not be the case if I owned the HD650.

Any of these will be an upgrade over what you have now, and by no means merely entry-level.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
The HD650 will be a non-controversial choice around $400. It's a damn good headphone, and not something you will need to upgrade in the near future.

They're great for classical...but you will need some power to drive them. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 11
I really like Audio Technicas for classical, although most of them are not quite "portable". The ESW9 should be right up your alley; it is an excellent headphone, and quite compact and portable. It has a nice midrange with that typical light & airy AT sound, with a hint of resonance from the wood cups.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

They're great for classical...but you will need some power to drive them. 

would that Fiio E7 be decent enough until i can afford something better, like a paired E9 or even maybe something more mid-level?  I don't have tons of money but i'm willing to listen to arguements for spending the cash on a decent amp.  the problem is i really am set on at least the Fiio E7 (or comparable portable DAC/amp) for now - i need it portable, and with a DAC.

thanks for the replies everyone!

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 11
You might as well get the E7+E9 combo on sale right now (mp4nation and micca). It's about $200 shipped.

I've never heard the E7, but from my experience the high end Senns like to have a little more juice behind them. The E9 for sure could handle it, I'm not sure about the E7 (although it'll probably be just fine).

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 11
To5taly agree with the statement that if you get HD650 you will not regret and will not look for something else in the nearest future and will have have hard time going to lower level, it's harder for me since i heard a lot of different headphone before getting a lucky chance to get them for just $349.99 from J&R and find out that this is what i was looking for all those 3 weeks of searching and trying so now i have to sell DT990 250 OHM since i can't return cause have more than 15 days while having slightly more than 30 hours of actual usage.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 11

E7+E9 + HD650

You won't regret it.

This is what I got - moving up from just the E7 and Grado SR80i. Jaw dropping improvement in sound quality. I think everything beneath the HD 650 (in general quality) should just be burned - songs that were once a muddled mess suddenly became clear - with great bass-mid separation. Also, I didn't really know what a soundstage was until tried the HD 650.

I spend so much more time listening to music now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back